National Gun Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Disciple of Christ
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Polytech m14/m1a-

Anyone have one? Are you satisfied? Anyone shoot one of these? What do you think?

D

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
A former neighbor had one and I messed with it a good deal. Not a bad rifle, not a great one either. Definitely not match grade accuracy out of the barrel. But you will hit what you aim at within reason.

There have been a number of recorded issues with the Chinese made M14's. The bolt and receiver are too soft (42-56) Rockwell hardness (Rc). The receivers are made out of mystery metal, so re-certifying the heat treat is usually out of the question without a metallurgy analysis. The hammer is also too soft, again a heat treating/mystery metal issue. My friends came out of the box with the trigger pull dangerously low (less than 3 pounds if my memory is right). I have heard from others that the head space can be excessive and dangerous. Bolt, helix angle, and firing pin bridge may not match with receiver properly. I did some serious reconstruction work to fix my neighbor's.

Of the Chinese imports, the Norinco's were definitely the best. Polytech is an offshoot of Norinco. Think of it this way, Norinco is the main military firearms maker for China. The good stuff gets stamped Norinco, the iffy stuff gets stamped Polytech.

With the exception of the heat treat, these are all fixable issues. But by the time you are done paying the gunsmith, you will spend the same for a Springfield M1A. I would be very leery about a Polytech M14, especially if it one of the earlier imports.

You didn't mention what you were going to spend. I be willing to guess you could find a nice FAL for roughly the same amount. That is if your heart in a 308 battle rifle.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Don't waste your money, you are not getting a "generic" M1A1, you are getting a clone that is not up to standard. I bought one before the AWB because I like the price, but sold it a few years later. Not quality, and there are actually compatability issues with real M1A1 parts. Save for a real one, or get a FAL or something else. There are licensed copies of HKs that are of good quality, look at those maybe.

·
Disciple of Christ
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I ended getting a ptr91, but I was just curious.

Thanks for the info guys!

D

·
Registered
330 Posts
I have 4 M14's and M1A's including a Poly. If you go to M-14.com you'll see the Poly's are great guns. I have a low number Federal N M, a SOCOM16, an Springfield N M, and a Polytech. The SOCOM16 is my grab gun, but the Poly is in a grab bag in the garage ready to go. Go to Different's site also, or EOTAC forum.

·
Disciple of Christ
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the info, Threefeathers. I will keep it in mind. Would you mind telling me how much you picked up your polytech for?

I saw a century arms m1a at a gun show. It had an aluminum stock. guys was selling it for $900. was that a fair price?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts