National Gun Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you guys keep your polymer mags loaded or unloaded when stored? A co-worker told me they might spread or swell apart some if stored for a long period of time, fully loaded.

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
22,766 Posts
Your co-worker is full of themselves.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hahaha, I pretty much already knew he was that! 🤣 I've only owned my AR-15 since May of this year, so I thought I'd ask you guys about it. He told me that a couple days ago. Thanks again!

·
Léitheoir
166 Posts
There are 3 magazines for my 19X that are kept loaded. Once a year or so they're taken to the range and emptied. This has happened twice now, without issue.

·
Registered
13,548 Posts
I thought i heard this recently too concerning P mags so i went looking for the video. Couldn't find it but found this.

Reactions: Joker

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
54,307 Posts
The following pertains mostly to rifle magazines although there are some low quality pistol magazines in circulation.

There are, and have been, many manufacturers of polymer magazines. Some of these magazines are of high quality others, not so much. The bodies (sides) of some of these 'not so much' magazines have a tendency to bulge when left fully loaded for extended periods of time. The 'bulge' can interfere with insertion into, and removal from, the mag well.

Therefore, if you're a belt-and-suspenders guy, do not store your polymer magazined fully loaded.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The following pertains mostly to rifle magazines although there are some low quality pistol magazines in circulation.

There are, and have been, many manufacturers of polymer magazines. Some of these magazines are of high quality others, not so much. The bodies (sides) of some of these 'not so much' magazines have a tendency to bulge when left fully loaded for extended periods of time. The 'bulge' can interfere with insertion into, and removal from, the mag well.

Therefore, if you're a belt-and-suspenders guy, do not store your polymer magazined fully loaded.
So would Magpul be ok to leave loaded? I've got 2 of the gen-2 ones for my AR.

·
Registered
6,422 Posts
the only "swelling" of mags i have read about and seen were 1st generation early production glock mags.......and they corrected that.

Reactions: Spooky

·
Léitheoir
166 Posts
So would Magpul be ok to leave loaded? I've got 2 of the gen-2 ones for my AR.
I've got a few 20 round PMags, a 40 round, and a couple Daniel Defense 32 round mags that have been loaded over a year without having been fired. (Covid and Ammo Prices dang it.)

Just checked, no bulging on any of them. Perhaps someone has some that have been loaded for longer. But no issues thus far.

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
54,307 Posts
Price is often, but not always, an indicator of quality.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Your co-worker is full of themselves.
If you are going to make such a proclamation, perhaps you would care to qualify how you come to such a broad conclusion.

There have been plenty of examples over the year of polymer magazines spreading feed lips, cracking feel lips. Polymer magazines have gone through many changes and mitigating efforts over the years due to "swelling" , "warping" , "spreading" ( to use a very general term). Where have you been?

I am not against polymer mags and I own plenty of them. Personally, I do not keep mags loaded but I do this more out of an abundance of caution. Additionally I see no reason to keep mags loaded that are not part of my EDC.

I saw all that to highlight the fact that I believe the OP has a valid question which should not be so easily dismissed as to say that the person who cautioned them is "full of themselves".
Whether or not the concern is valid would depend on several things which has not really been examined yet. I will hand around and see how this progresses.

Generally speaking, if you are going to keep plastic mags loaded, I would do my research and be sure to get some good ones.

·
Jesus Saves
7,920 Posts
Are steel mags free from problems?

I think you can search and find any kind of argument you want on just about anything.

Would loading then half way remove the potential problem? How long is too long to be kept fully loaded? Does mag size influence the size of the bulge? Which is better for SD, 9mm of 45?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
152 Posts
I am just glad I learned about guns and ballistics before the internet.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I’ve never seen or had a problem with leaving poly mags loaded for long periods of time. Found a gen 3 p-mag loaded in the side of my range bag that was probably there for at least 2 years that I shot with no problems a month ago.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts