National Gun Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
I know the thing now days are the many poly framed handguns for carry, and I own several BUT is it just me or are these things butt ugly??? Same with the synthetic stock bolt action hunting rifles. I mean, GOOD guns for what they were designed for but aesthetically challenged nonetheless. I carry mostly a Springfield XD, and I like it, but for just flat out good looks one of my 1911s are hard to beat. Am I the only one who still cares about a purty gun???? A Remington 700 BDL is still a good looking rifle, but put one of them black plastic stocks on it and it is ruint, as far as looks go anyway. How many agree????? :--- :--- :--- :---

·
Registered
341 Posts
I would have to disagree to an extent. While I do deeply appreciate the appearance of a nice 1911, I also like the looks of a nice poly gun. Keep in mind poly guns are built to function, not look pretty. As far as the rifle goes I prefer synthetic stocks. I have a Rem 700 with a nice wood stock but would love to swap it out with a nice synthetic stock. Thats just my opinion, I always go for an all black tactical look.

-Derek

·
Premium Member
1,547 Posts
Heres how I go about the whole synthetic wood stock problem. I like my wood. But when im shooting, you bet that synthetic is on it. When it I go to sell it or retire it. I put that pretty new wood on that sucker. :-B-:

G

·
Discussion Starter #4
"Blue steel and walnut"

That's for me.

I have one rifle with a synthetic stock that I acquired because of the deal.

I don't think that the "beautiful" firearms were designed for purtyness. The guys that created them followed the "form follows function" rule.

The plastic firearms are butt ugly, and it has nothing to do with more efficient design - it has to do with being able to build them cheaper.

Compare their function and looks to the 1911 and Hi-Power.

I am an old guy, so I don't appreciate a lot of the modern world.

Doug

G

·
Discussion Starter #8
I own some newer stuff with poly this and synthetic that but my old blue steel Belgian Sweet Sixteen with beautiful wood furniture is a sight to behold. Nothing like blue steel and beautiful furniture.

·
Beretta 92 Fanatic
554 Posts
See, to me, the Walther P99 is one of the coolest looking guns in the world - looks even better with a stainless colored slide. That's a polymer gun.

But, I understand - we all have our preferences...

G

·
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, and understand I own both and carry my XD mostly, but I was talking about nice, pretty guns like the 1911, or the single action Colt six gun or even the Colt Python. These are still pretty guns. The new poly guns I understand were not ment to be pretty and they sure as heck are not. Me and Whompuss must be bros, for I still like pretty blue and walnut. Same with my gun leather, I love the rich feel of leather, not that nylon or hard plastic stuff. Guess I'm just gettin old............ :--- :--- :---

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Doug Wilson said:
"Blue steel and walnut"

That's for me.

I have one rifle with a synthetic stock that I acquired because of the deal.

I don't think that the "beautiful" firearms were designed for purtyness. The guys that created them followed the "form follows function" rule.

The plastic firearms are butt ugly, and it has nothing to do with more efficient design - it has to do with being able to build them cheaper.

Compare their function and looks to the 1911 and Hi-Power.

I am an old guy, so I don't appreciate a lot of the modern world.

Doug
+1 I agree with Doug! Love a beautiful wood stock with a top grade wood and a blue finish!

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Doug is not grumpy! Look at that smile on his face!

G

·
Discussion Starter #20
Gee, Lee - you got my good side !

You snuck that one in on me.

Don't you need a release from me to publish that??

I like the ones with my hat on, best.

Doug

1 - 20 of 21 Posts