National Gun Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Pew Pew
SFx - Elite SC
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ask anyone about the Phoenix HP22A and they’ll all say the same thing “if it weren’t for the damn safetys this gun would be awesome”. Yes, a Phoenix that’s pretty awesome. It’s got a solid heavy frame, looks great, and eats 22LR like candy. There are mods on the market. Everything going for it, but the safetys kill the mood. Most everyone that owns one cuts the mag safety tab and goes on with life enjoying the gun. After that it’s more fun than a mechanical bull.

I feel like with as much potential as this gun has it could be really good, especially for a $125 gun. I’m going to diamond polish the sear, trigger bar, hammer, anything else that moves..... and see what kind of performance I can get out of it. If it turns out how it should (because it’s already a great shooter) I’ll even send it out to be coated.

anyone else have one?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,374 Posts
I know nothing about the Phoenix. It looks nice. I’ve seen lots of those cheap little .22’s and have even owned one. Mine was a Jennings J.22. It would fit in your shirt pocket. It ate all of the ammo I fed it but it couldn’t hit a barn from the inside, probably because of its size and basic machining. You may be able to improve yours but be careful when playing with the guts. A little too much here or there and it could be unsafe.
Cheap .22’s aren’t much better than a well made zip gun. That’s why the manufacturers go with the .22 round because the pressure is more manageable. Good luck.

·
Aim true !
9,760 Posts
I think saga308 has one. Maybe he will chime in. I have looked at them. Something told me to stay away.

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
have read some good things from owners......only handled one from memory and did not care for the safeties.
what did interest me though was a kit model that included a longer target barrel that could be swapped out.....

·
Pew Pew
SFx - Elite SC
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep thats the mods, they have a range kit with a 5” barrel and grip extension. Seems to make them group better. I don’t want to try and make it good, just smooth. I love a buttery smooth gun that just always works. If you use high velocity ammo on an old recoil spring the frame will crack, but most ammo is high power in 22LR. The cheapest is usually goldens and they are 1400 fps. That’ll crack the Zimac quick so having a fresh recoil spring will keep the slide from slamming back and people get away with the higher power rounds. The barrel is rifled steel so it’s fine.

·
Pew Pew
SFx - Elite SC
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lotta chatter in this slide and feeder so there’s plenty of room to improve. I cleaned it up a little to see what needs to be done.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts