National Gun Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My uncle is a police officer in Toledo, OH and was forced to shoot a suicidal man who was carrying two pistols when he became aggressive towards them on Wednesday. They thought they were talking a guy down from shooting himself when he pulled a second gun and pointed both at them. Three officers shot him six times, killing him instantly. All 9mm. Interesting story, possibly an Iraq vet with mental health issues. I don't know everything yet, I'll update.

http://abclocal.go.com/wtvg/story?section=news/local&id=6282428

·
Pro Gun Advocate
10,940 Posts
Wow.

I hope your uncle finds a way to find peace with this, if he hasn't already.

Too bad about the vet, too. Sounds like he came back with a basket full of troubles.

Sad story all the way around.

·
Drunk Supernova
6,002 Posts
My uncle is a police officer in Toledo, OH and was forced to shoot a suicidal man who was carrying two pistols when he became aggressive towards them on Wednesday. They thought they were talking a guy down from shooting himself when he pulled a second gun and pointed both at them. Three officers shot him six times, killing him instantly. All 9mm. Interesting story, possibly an Iraq vet with mental health issues. I don't know everything yet, I'll update.

http://abclocal.go.com/wtvg/story?section=news/local&id=6282428
That is a very sad story. I hope your uncle is able to deal with or not have PST.

I am curious to know why you think he is an Iraq vet.

Just after 1 p.m. on Wednesday, July 23, Toledo police officers shot and killed a man in west Toledo near Detroit and Crawford.
Police Chief Mike Navarre confirms the man is dead. He is 40-year-old Alllen Cole.
Navarre tells News 11 police were called by Cole's wife. When they arrived on scene, the man had a gun pointed at himself. When police approached, the man pulled a second gun and pointed it at police. Two police officers and a sergeant shot the man.
Witnesses say it was a clear act of suicide by police fire. Officers are not yet saying that. They need to finish interviewing witnesses and review patrol car dashcam video that caught the whole thing.
Witnesses say the man had two guns and started walking down N. Detroit. He had one gun pointed at his throat and the other on his waist. Witnesses say he then pointed the gun from his waist at the officers and three officers shot him a total of nine times.
There were six officers on scene. The three who shot Cole have been put on administrative leave as is standard procedure.
http://www.woio.com/Global/story.asp?S=8722841

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Sounds like "death by cop" suicide. Its a sad ending when an officer is forced to shoot someone that may not even be a criminal and is simply despondent, depressed and going through troubled times.

"Tough times never last but tough people do," Thats a book authored by Robert Schuller, minister of the Crystal Cathedral in Garden Grove, CA. If you can get a person into the next day they will usually have a whole different outlook on their problems. Sad, this guy did not get to see the next sunrise.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts