National Gun Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I mean wondering how the po8 Luger firing mechanism works. I never handled one before and trying to figure it out by looking at a video or photo of a stripped po8 is just too complicated. SO I come her early to ask an owner how one works. Specifically I want to know where the firing pin is housed. Is it like a rifle bolt, is it a unique firing mechanism, it definitely isn't a slide action like the browning?

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
54,933 Posts
Reactions: Stevejet

·
Registered
6,403 Posts
The Luger is one of the strongest actions ever designed. In fact, the hotter, higher pressure the ammunition, the better it performs. It is also one of the fastest mechanisms, completing it's cycling in 1/30 of a second. it is also among the most accurate pistols, easily outshooting most modern 'wondernines.' And it is the most elegant - each one is a true work of art, requiring some 350 hand-fitting operations to build. Which is why nobody can make an affordable Luger today. And no other pistol possesses the panache, the cachet, the mystique and the lore of a Luger. And the history.

I've owned half a dozen of them, my current one was made in 1917, survived WW1, was inventoried by the Weimar Republic (hence the 'double date' 1920 which isn't really a date), and undoubtedly reissued during WW2. Like most survivors of that unpleasantness, it probably went on to several decades of police work before being sold off as surplus. If only this gun could talk. In its 100 year life - what has it seen? - what has it done? - what stories it could tell? I bought it about 10 years ago. It was still in 85% condition with all matching numbers inside and out. It has appreciated about 50% from what I paid. Which is the other cool thing about Lugers - because they can be counted on to appreciate, ownership is ultimately not only free, but profitable. Enjoy.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts