National Gun Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6,297 Posts
I didn't take your survey mainly because of questions 4 and 9...no mention of safety. I wouldn't be interested in getting killed over realism/realistic.

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
55,357 Posts
Safety first!

Judging from your survey you're considering opening just another Rambo wannabe school.

Reactions: deputy

·
Super Moderator
5,885 Posts
Love this question...

"How important is it that the course instructors have experience in law enforcement or the military?"

Do y'all know how many times I get asked this type of question, once they find out I teach the basic NRA safety courses? Its like they expect only people who are cops or military to tech this. When I tell them no they become shocked and ask how could I teach then (face/palm). Guess experience, training, and taking classes does not matter to them, its only if you are a cop or military.

Reactions: DPM and deputy

·
Registered
9,127 Posts
Don't forget the open bar attachment on the side of the school

·
55,357 Posts
Rambo wannabe is exactly what we were going for!!
In that case, include easily completed simple scenarios, much beer and overstuffed couches and chairs.

edit: and wide screen HD TVs.

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
24,259 Posts
Get your NRA Safety Instructor certification and then I might take your survey.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You imply that if we do not have that certification we do not possess the understanding or training necessary to create a legitimate survey. This would be an ignorant assumption. But we support your right to speak your opinion!

·
Registered
9,127 Posts
:popcorn2:

Reactions: 220combat

·
Jesus Saves
8,094 Posts
The survey cannot be taken seriously. Question quality is lacking and the intended target is confusing; at least to me. The number of firearms has nothing to do with anything.

You have left out important questions that would add validity and value to your survey. It's not a good survey. If I found that survey on any training site, I'd never consider it.

"Rambo wannabe" is an insulting label put on a person. I am surprised you actually said you are "going for" that target. That statement lacks professionalism; something you really need to consider - your image.

·
Jesus Saves
8,094 Posts
You imply that if we do not have that certification we do not possess the understanding or training necessary to create a legitimate survey. This would be an ignorant assumption. But we support your right to speak your opinion!
There is so much wrong with that statement.....

You may have knowledge, you may have understanding....you may be the smartest firearms person in the world.........BUT what you do NOT have that may be most important to the majority - is CREDENTIALS. Something to back up your talk......

·
Premium Member
2,253 Posts
Well, hell. Now I'm gonna have to look at this survey and see whot all the hub-bub is about.

·
55,357 Posts
I don't know you from Moses. I know nothing about you. I know nothing about your dedication to safety.

Certification tells me that, at least, you are aware of safety procedures concerning firearms.

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
why not visit and participate in a couple of other accredited training schools? Watch, listen, participate, and then talk with the other students as a student yourself. If you are starting a business, some hands on research and observation would be more important than anonymous information.

You can see what is working, what is BS, and what students take away with them from the course and what is "retained". If it is not retained, it is worthless.

Basic NRA safety certification sounds top priority and build from there. This is number one. IF your goal is to train, then make it simple, reasonable, practical, and close so it can be retained easily.......that is the core to drill the basics on......and lightly expand upon in selected areas. You are going to have virgin gun owners show up, moderately trained gun owners, and perhaps a few serious pistoleros. You have to cater to all and leave no one behind while still imparting skills that can easily be retained by all.

IF your goal is to entertain your clients and make money, then run and gun rambo style and complicate the heck out of it to you and the students hearts content with the games. They may not learn or retain a blessed thing, but at least they got to pay and play and come away with an attitude that probably will get them killed on the street......

·
Registered
6,452 Posts
I did not take your survey because I don't do surveys. But I will give you my take on what an effective fire arms course would contain. I hope you are serious about giving a high quality course with practical information and not just another Rambo Wannabe slice of Entertrainment. If it is a rambo course stop reading here. This won't help you.

The course should be split between class time and range time. Class time comes first. Keep the classes small. 1 to 4. One instructor for four students.

First it would define what a fire arm really is in a defensive situation. It is not an equalizer, it is not protection, it is not survivability. It is an admission of failure. If it gets to the point where it is necessary to use a fire arm for self defense then you have failed to do all of the other things you should be doing to keep your self safe. Your course should teach those things that if possible make the defensive use of a fire arm unnecessary. Situational Awareness. Humility. The ability to see trouble coming and the courage to run the other way. It should stress that the only way to win a fire fight is to not be in one.

Your course should teach the laws that apply to fire arms in your state. Stand your ground or Castle Doctrine should be explained if your state supports these laws. A discussion on what will happen after the incident including how to deal with the arrival of the police and how to deal with being arrested and how important it is to keep your mouth shut till you have had the time to talk to your lawyer. The incident does not stop when the hammer falls quite the opposite it just begins.

As your course begins to move to the range segment you must stress safety. You should hammer the 4 cardinal rules of gun safety into the minds of every one in your class. Over and over and over. Do not tolerate even the slightest breech of these rules on the range. A discussion on the importance of keeping your thumbs out of the way of the slide would fit in here. A discussion on sight pictures and intuitive shooting. A discussion on the drawbacks and advantages to lasers would also be good. A discussion on basic tactics ( Stance, Weaver Grip, Concealment is not cover. Double tap. Center mass. ) would end up the class time and through all of the class time and range time the four rules are stressed over and over.

A discussion on the importance of regular training should also be included. Going home after this course and putting the gun away till it is needed is not going to work. Stress to your students the importance of regular training and practice.

At the range.

Start with just one round in each of two magazines. Gun on the table mags on the table. Each student must load the fire arm send that one round drop the mag, insert the second mag and send the second round on target at 15 or 20 feet while obeying the four rules strictly and to the letter. ( Especially Rule 2 for this exercise. Keep the muzzle pointed down range. ) Along with safety stress the basics of good shooting, grip, stance, footing, trigger squeeze. Eliminate the bad habits before they become a habit. Teach them to shoot well before trying to teach them to shoot defensively. Each exercise should include a mag swap. Later on in the range section introduce the idea of a tactical reload. Mag swaps are a part of shooting teach them how.

·
Registered
9,127 Posts
Honestly it sounds like you would do much better opening a Paint Ball tactical operation. Then you can be Rambo and not get sued.

:machinegun::weapon2::25:

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Honestly it sounds like you would do much better opening a Paint Ball tactical operation. Then you can be Rambo and not get sued.

:machinegun::weapon2::25:

Gonna have to side with this. Too much liability in being a Rambo Wannabe instructor.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts