National Gun Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
View attachment 111148 IMG_5455.jpeg IMG_5456.jpeg

So I dont know much about rifles. Its a family heirloom. The engraving is in cyrillic and says "M. Averin" I think. Next to it is a proof mark, which I couldn't track down.

·
Registered
13,190 Posts
Averin, is a Russian name.
It is a percussion cap rifle, not sure if an earlier flintlock conversion though.
I am stumped.
That's a break action breech loader like a shotgun. Octagon barrel suggests it's a rifle. There is no nipple, just a hammer and firing pin. If i had to guess i would say some sort of 1870's-80's black powder cartridge rifle. I don't recall seeing any rifles in that type of configuration before (that i remember) but plenty of shotguns.

Reactions: Popeye and LRDGCO

·
Registered
528 Posts
Take the barrel out of the stock and look closely at the barrel flats underneath as well as the water table - the part of the receiver underneath the barrel, providing clear pictures of any marks, numbers, and letters that you find. Also, please show a photo of the muzzle next to a dime or quarter for size comparison.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
That's a break action breech loader like a shotgun. Octagon barrel suggests it's a rifle. There is no nipple, just a hammer and firing pin. If i had to guess i would say some sort of 1870's-80's black powder cartridge rifle. I don't recall seeing any rifles in that type of configuration before (that i remember) but plenty of shotguns.
Oh I see it now, the breech release by his 3rd finger. Good catch i totally missed it.
Guess I better stick to flintlock identifications.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
IMG_5468.jpg IMG_5467.jpg
Im dumb, didnt think to check that. Also the barrel is the size of a single cent.

Take the barrel out of the stock and look closely at the barrel flats underneath as well as the water table - the part of the receiver underneath the barrel, providing clear pictures of any marks, numbers, and letters that you find. Also, please show a photo of the muzzle next to a dime or quarter for size comparison.

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
22,251 Posts
"M. Averin" may or may not be the maker. It might be the individual who originally ordered the gun.

·
Registered
528 Posts
That wasn't as productive as I had hoped. No markings on the receiver under the barrel? Also, the penny covers the whole bore, which is relatively small. Is it smoothbore or rifled?

The letters under the barrel between the numbers appear to be Cyrillic. Is that correct or am I just seeing it wrong. Unfortunately, I don't know the first thing about Imperial Russian proof marks.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
I`d side shot gun the way hammer and firing pin are set up, smaller than .410? Small piece soft lead or a bore cast and measuring calipers. eh either way still an interesting piece

1 - 9 of 9 Posts