National Gun Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Post better pictures. There should be marking/lettering on the barrels and markings
On the receiver and under the breech.

·
Super Moderator
14,529 Posts
Are there any markings on top of the barrels?

Alan

·
Super Moderator
14,529 Posts
The fore end has pressed checkering and the butt stock has cut checkering. Looks Spanish.

Alan

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No markings on top of the barrels. Really? For me it looks Belgian francotte lepage or smthng but would Really rly appreciate and be thankful if someone knows the exact model.

·
Super Moderator
14,529 Posts
Well, sorry we can't be more helpful... I only have one Francotte and it doesn't look like the one you've pictured. From the pictures it's hard to tell. Perhaps someone more knowledgable of European double will come along and give you an answer...

Alan

·
Super Moderator
14,529 Posts
But, it could be a Francotte. Normally, they are not bashful about putting their name on their shotguns.

Can you get a picture of the sides of the butt stock and the butt plate.

Alan

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yah, I'll send u pics In hope that someone finally identifies it friend has spent 6 yrs on this Im, 14 hrs noe already lol. And thanks for even trying and helping it means a lot to me otherwise it's gonna stay mystery forever.. Note that on the left side there is a spot to Lean, on for the recoil.. (sry my bad english hopefully u understood what I meant by that)
Please someone idemtify this forey brain is raging over that :D

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
14,529 Posts
Look on the left side of the receiver right below the barrels for markings.

Alan

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
23,160 Posts
POUDRE is french for "powder", so I tend to think this shotgun is originally from France.

·
Registered
917 Posts
You can see the ELG and star in a oval under a crown on the barrel---so manufacture is Leige Belgium after 1892. The mark that looks like two cursive E's tangled up is a
provisional Belgian proof, and the thing that looks like a key is a perron--breech exam/proof mark, also Belgian.
12 gauge, 2 1/2".
The listing of the powder used, powder charge weight and shot charge weight I'm not sure of. It could be French? I do know that Germany required it until around 1913, and still did it until WWI.
Appears to be made for the European market, surprised that it doesn't have a name on it. Looks a few notches above the "hardware store gun" quality shotguns that Belgium cranked out in huge quantities.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you all so far so as I thought its probably from Bdlfium but would rly like To know the model and manufacturer.. I've attached two photos In last hopes to find out the exact one so heres the markings on the left side of the receiver below barrels and then there's a photo of a bag that u can carry it on (II have no idea whether its original or not but I got my doubts...) no labels or Markus on the bag of course...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
The shotgun is definately Belgium made. Hope the below helps. Unforturnately I could not located any marks to indentify the maker altough the crispness of the stamping would indicate early or mid 19XX.

From a post in Shotgun world:
Proofs 1903 to 1924

Shown are the typical Belgian proofs on a 16 gauge A5 of 1910/11:

1 = Inspector's mark which could be any letter of the alphabet. The letter is depending on the time frame when the gun was proofed. E. g. the 1903 proofed A5s have the inspector’s mark “star/J”, while the A5s proofed in 1904 and later will have “star/T”.

2 = Smokeless powder proof (P.V. = Poudre vive = smokeless powderr)

3 = the Perron; indicates inspection or proof of breeching system

4 = Nominal gauge designation applied to shotguns given black powder proof (C = calibre; 16 16 gauge, 12 = 12 gauge and so on)

5 = Introduced to designate arms proved in conformity of German Proof Law of 1891. In now represents definitive black powder proof except for muzzle loaders.

6 = Numerator: Chamber dimensions in millimetres shotguns undergoing smokeless proof. Denominator: Length of chamber over diameter of chamber. In the example given the chamber length is 65 millimetres ( = 2 9/16”) and the chamber diameter is 18.7 millimetres. An other typical chamber length (on 12 gauge A5s9 is 70mm = 2 ¾”.

7 = weight of the barrel in grams when proofed. In the example: P. (= Poids = Weight) 0 (=zero) K. (= kilograms) 827.8 grams ( 1.8 pounds).

8 = Choke

9 = provisional proof of barrels

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Sorry, maybe there is more information inside the action or butt plate. It is a fine shotgun, one worth keeping and passing down.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts