National Gun Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My grandpa died and left us a gun his own dad bought used during the great depression for hunting. it doesn’t say much on the outside other than the word SCOUT and when taken apart the inside of the wooden foregrip appeared to have numbers which has long since worn down and are now barely visible. Please tell me what this is i’ve been dying to know for years now i just never got the brain to post it on the forum. thanks!

Attachments

·
Aim true !
10,266 Posts
Stevens scout. I think it is.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i’d like to add that it is also a 410 if that lowers the list of thing then

·
Aim true !
10,266 Posts
Post a pic of the whole gun.

·
Premium Member
5,897 Posts
That’s a very rare and very very valuable shotgun. Trust me when I say that this gun is worth more than you may even realize. I’d say that it’s a one of a kind. It’s was your Grandfathers gun. Every dent, scratch and wear spot is a bit of him and that’s priceless. I’m sure he bought the best gun he could afford and used it to put food on the table. It was a tool to help him feed his family and Protect them if the wolf came to the door. His DNA is worn into the wood. Keep it a cherish it because it was his.

·
Registered
696 Posts
^^^^That right there. That is the most important part. Shame you Grandpa can't tell you about each of those marks and stains. I have Papaw's old .22 single shot. I smile at the marks and stains. I put some of them there 50+ years ago with him.
It may not be worth much money, if he had it that long, I bet it was priceless to him.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I wish i could find out more about it like where it was made and by what company. i never ever plan to sell it.

·
Registered
529 Posts
You need to show us the markings any writing and numbers anywhere on the gun, including underneath the barrel. It is probably a hardware store "brand" gun made by Meriden, Crescent, maybe the Belgian trade, although Stevens is possible. But we need detail of any markings to narrow it down.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Markings help but as STAMPS6 said:: That’s a very rare and very very valuable shotgun. Trust me when I say that this gun is worth more than you may even realize. I’d say that it’s a one of a kind. It’s was your Grandfathers gun. Every dent, scratch and wear spot is a bit of him and that’s priceless. I’m sure he bought the best gun he could afford and used it to put food on the table. It was a tool to help him feed his family and Protect them if the wolf came to the door. His DNA is worn into the wood. Keep it a cherish it because it was his.

YES like you I`d like to know more but as I learned gun prices are all over while some knock the .410 others are crazy hungry for it I would educate myself and follow STAMPS6 is it a $100 or $100,000 I would not care does it provide a connection to the past can I educate my kids to that connection and share that with them.

·
Registered
894 Posts
As others have said it's a priceless piece of family history---(and you didn't ask about value) ---So here is a
reply from another forum from 2009 Re: SCOUT shotguns.

"The gun is what is known as a "Trade Brand Name" shotgun. Between 1880 and 1940 it was quite common and popular for wholesalers and
retailers to want shotguns with names of their own choosing on them to sell. The major gun makers were only too happy to meet this demand.
Guns with the name Scout were made by the following makers:
Crescent Fire Arms of Norwich,CT (1892 to 1932) if a sidelock hammerless double.
Iver Johnson's Arms & Cycle Works of Fitchberg,MA (1871 to 1993) if a single barrel gun.
J.Stevens Arms Co of Chicopee Falls,MA (1864 to 1916) on a Model 311 if a boxlock hammerless double.
All the guns were made for and sold by the Frankfurt Hardware Company of Milwaukee,WI."

ETA It appears that the name was actually FRANKFURTH Hardware. They closed in 1977, over 100 years in business.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I agrea that you need to show us the markings any writing and numbers anywhere on the gun:weapon2:, including underneath the barrel. It is probably a hardware store "brand" gun :blowaway:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts