National Gun Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the forum, glad to be part of what seems like a great community and forum for casuals and enthusiasts alike.

Onto my question: I recently purchased an arsenal refinished and laminated 91/30 Mosin Nagant, after cleaning out the cosmoline for 3 days I discovered what appears to be pitting on both the bolt head and in the chamber.

I want to know if the pitting is severe enough to affect performance or even worse make the gun unsafe, If the consensus here is that the damage is too great I won't even bother taking it to a gunsmith and wasting more money on the gun. If it seems that it's alright I'll take it to a gunsmith for professional evaluation and head spacing.0

Feel free to download and zoom in on the images or use browser tools to do so.

Attachments

·
Registered
980 Posts
The pitting I see in the first image is not in the chamber but around the feed ramp area. The second image shows pitting to a small degree on the bolt face. Personally, and just my thinking is I would not worry about a gunsmith. I would continue to clean those areas up real well and maybe use a little polishing compound on a felt bob with a dremmel tool and buff it out a little. I would also try to get a good look at the inside of the chamber but with what you provided I don't see anything that would render the rifle unserviceable.

Just My Take
Ron

·
Super Moderator
5,826 Posts
^^^ this. Try some R17 also with a cloth, if nothing then try the R17 again but this time with very light / light steel wool.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Agreed... Not really bad pitting mainly feed ramp and bolt face clean areas as previously described...And enjoy

·
Registered
7,193 Posts
The pitting I see in the first image is not in the chamber but around the feed ramp area. The second image shows pitting to a small degree on the bolt face. Personally, and just my thinking is I would not worry about a gunsmith. I would continue to clean those areas up real well and maybe use a little polishing compound on a felt bob with a dremmel tool and buff it out a little. I would also try to get a good look at the inside of the chamber but with what you provided I don't see anything that would render the rifle unserviceable.

Just My Take
Ron
I agree. I don`t see anything that alarms me with what I see.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'd shoot it, no problem.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The clear ramp is my Mosin M44 carbine and the pitted one is the gun in question. Thanks for the feedback, the actual chamber looks clear when I shine a light down it as far as I can tell but I still think I'm going to take it in for a head spacing and evaluation.

It's just kinda unsettling to have the one gun that I've been shooting lacking this kind of pitting so close to the chamber.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
photo (1).jpg photo (2).jpg
The clear ramp is my Mosin M44 carbine and the pitted one is the gun in question. Thanks for the feedback, the actual chamber looks clear when I shine a light down it as far as I can tell but I still think I'm going to take it in for a head spacing and evaluation.

It's just kinda unsettling to have the one gun that I've been shooting lacking this kind of pitting so close to the chamber.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts