National Gun Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why is it that every-time one of our favorite gun writers gets his hands on a single action 38-40 or a lever rifle in the same caliber they practically have an orgasm??

Is this just a rare caliber? Why is the 44-40 not just as popular, it has more power and was a handgun and rifle caliber in the old west also?

Its only in the last five years or so that its talked about so much. Anyone know the real reason?

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You got me. I would rather have the 44-40 than a 38-40 any day. :biggrin5:
Yep, I agree. Its a fine caliber. I guess the 38-40 must be rare or popular for cowboy action shooting. The ammo costs double what you would pay for anything else.

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
55,659 Posts
I put it down to ignorance.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
The .38-40 is actually a .401 caliber Bullet - and is a necked-down cartridge whose parent was the .44-40. The current external ballistics are fairly "weak" - the limiting factor being the number of older SAA chambered for this round. At one time a "hot-rod" loading was available, intended to be used in suitable rifles - but too many people were blowing up old Colts, S&Ws etc. - so the manufacturers dropped that load, under auspices of SAAMI. I'm thinking that the popularity in the current day is due to it's relatively mild chamber pressure and velocity with subsequently low recoil impulse - certainly much less perceived recoil, in the same firearms, than .44-40, .44 SPL (and Russian), .45 Colt, and other popular cowboy action cartridges, while still meeting the requirements for an "authentic" round.

G

·
Heh, I'm for .44-40 all the damned way in my own personal opinion! Of course my opinions are highly biased but still! I'm also going to agree with .32 Magnum above me though, he/she seems to know fairly well what they're talking about.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts