National Gun Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a couple more pieces from the safe due for maintenance. I bought both of these in used, excellent condition over the past 6 years. I and most members of my family have spent considerable amounts of time with the 9mm and it has proven to be a 50 yard tack driver with the scope, especially with 124 grain FMJ. The .45 is not quite as accurate but it has a lesser quality scope on it, also. Both have proven to be reliable, especially the 9mm, with only a few jams experienced with the .45, mostly due to after market mags. The 9mm came with a 10 round factory mag. I recently acquired a 20 round factory mag for it, and it uses all the S&W 59 series high caps that I have left over from the S&W 915 that I got rid of a few years ago, including a 30 rounder. The .45 came with a factory 7 round mag and will take any mag made for use in a Model 1911, including the 15 round mag pictured. Both are really "FUN" guns, but have a practical side for home defense or medium range critter control.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Baldy and Red-Rider. I'm happy to share. If you get the opportunity to acquire either the 9 or the 45, do it! Since Marlin stopped making them, I've noticed that the asking prices at the gun shows have increased anywhere from 25 to 50%, and fewer are showing up - must be a lot going into collections. I'm thinking that either, but especially the .45 ACP, would make very fine Home Defense pieces. With the 18" barrels, light weight and semi-auto action, either would bring some serious firepower to the problem. For the past couple years, I've been kicking around the idea of taking the 4x scope off of the .45 and replacing it with a holographic red dot sight. I think that would really put the icing on the cake for that one - can't argue with a well placed .45 ACP round with about 30% more energy at point of impact than from a pistol. Of course, my first go to piece is either a 20 gauge or a 12 gauge pump, depending upon where I might be at the time a tool of that type might be needed. Both have "see-through" scope mounts. Interesting, at least to me, is the change Marlin made in the front sight assembly - the 9mm is an early version and has a much different sight than the later 45. Take a look at these pics for details.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts