National Gun Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a newbie to this forum, scopes (and my new RRA 308 Predator-HP), I had a few questions that I wanted to pose. First off, the intro articles on scopes are great and educational, thank you! Being new to scopes (this will be my first scope purchase), so please bear with me. I am looking at shooting in the 100-200 yd range for my scope needs. I am leaning between the Nikon P-308 (4-12x40 BDC 800) and the Bushnell Elite 3500 (3-9X50). Any thoughts? I am also completely open to other suggestions as well. Also, I am assuming from what I have read that I will need to use the RRA scope rings (regular, high rise, or cantilever). but not sure which one. I thank you for your input and sharing your thoughts on these topics with this newbie.

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
54,923 Posts
There is very little difference in quality between the Nikon P-308 (4-12x40 BDC 800) and the Bushnell Elite 3500 (3-9X50). Both are better than adequate scopes.

I would choose the Nikon because I have had no problems with Nikon products and a 50mm objective is oversized for any scope except those scopes using cheap glass. It provides no benefit and usually forces you to mount the scope higher than necessary, leading to accuracy problems.

Reactions: USPatriot1

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
23,407 Posts
For scope rings/mount, I suggest you look at the DNZ Freedom Reaper 30mm Scope Mount | Freedom Reaper Scope Mount | DNZ Products, the one piece base simplifies the mounting process and adds stability for holding zero. You'll probably want a high mount, due to AR stocks not having the drop at comb height as conventional rifle stocks.

Reactions: USPatriot1
1 - 3 of 3 Posts