National Gun Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are pellet guns regulated by any laws, in the wild wooly state of AZ? Will a pellet gun take out a skunk at 15 yards?

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
No, if the pellet is propelled by air or a spring. This will not prevent charges of assault and/or battery if one is used against another person, however:

http://www.azleg.gov/ars/13/03101.doc

4. "Firearm" means any loaded or unloaded handgun, pistol, revolver, rifle, shotgun or other weapon that will expel, is designed to expel or may readily be converted to expel a projectile by the action of an explosive. Firearm does not include a firearm in permanently inoperable condition.

·
Old Cowboy
125 Posts
Are pellet guns regulated by any laws, in the wild wooly state of AZ? Will a pellet gun take out a skunk at 15 yards?
Check the laws in your city. Most cities have laws against discharging a firearm in the city limits, but an air rifle is not a firearm. So, in most places, you can use an air rifle any place you can't use a firearm. Cemetaries, parks, are two places that come to mind. We own Beeman pellet rifles, 5 MM, 177, and a 25 Cal. The 5 MM seems to be the best for taking anything up to and including ground hogs. If you check certain history books, you will find that it is believed Gen Patton was killed by a shot to the back of the neck from an air rifle. Most spring piston air rifles seem to hold their velocity better than the pump up air rifle, because as you pump air into the chamber on the pump up rifles, the air gets hot and expands. If you don't fire the rifle before the air cools the pressure reduces as the air cools.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I learned the hard way that a pellet gun can take out a skunk. I shot one in my back yard. I just wanted to drive it away. It just fell over, dead. Fortunately, I was in possession of a airfilter mask and a pair of ruber gloves.

As to regulation, Michigan makes you get a permit to buy a pellet pistol and it must be registered. Stupid laws!

·
Super Moderator
11,512 Posts
Um, 15 yards ain't anywhere near far enough. Just sayin.'

--Wag--

·
Registered
17 Posts
The little town that I live in laws include BB and air rifles. Thats why I have a portable benchrest in my den and a pellet trap in the storage room.. 10 meter 33 ft range to shoot my .177, 20, and 22 pellet rifles, I now am looking at some .25 Cal pellet rifles.. All three air rifles I shoot are for small game and pest shooting out to about 35 yards but I like to shoot indoors to find out which pellet weights and brands my air rifles shoots the best.. A good book to read for someone interested in air rifles is ( American Air Rifles ) or do googel - air rifles..

·
Registered
1 Posts
Will a pellet gun take out a skunk at 15 yards?

Most cities treat pellet guns same as firearms. You must check your local laws

a .177 or .22 pellet gun unlikely to do anything but get you sprayed and possibly attacked but a very angry skunk. If you want to kill anything larger than a mouse or pigeon you need a large bore pellet gun. Quackenbush air guns is the most reasonable, but his waiting list is not open right now. Benjamin Rogue .357
Sam Yang .357 to 45 cal, Evanmax semi auto All use 3000 psi you charge from high pressure tank or compressor a LOT of pumping!!

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
Check Handgunlaw.us . Never rely on internet chat/forums to get accurate legal info.

·
5,082 Posts
I have a pellet rifle that has made very accurate head squirrel shots at thirty yards using my pointed hunter pellets. I have little doubt the velocity I've seen to that range and with that pellet or the flatter ones, a head shot would kill, if not seriously impair or disable a human. Also don't forget the great distinction between pellet guns and " some'" air rifles, that are out there.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I have a pellet rifle that has made very accurate head squirrel shots at thirty yards using my pointed hunter pellets. I have little doubt the velocity I've seen to that range and with that pellet or the flatter ones, a head shot would kill, if not seriously impair or disable a human. Also don't forget the great distinction between pellet guns and " some'" air rifles, that are out there.
1 shot is quite right. While most (not all) pellet pistols do not put out a lot of energy (FPE), there are pellet rifles that could do serious damage to a human. I have a PCP rifle in .25 cal that can put out 50 FPE which is just 20 FPE less than a .22 short cartridge. I cannot see any advantage to carrying a pellet pistol. What would be your reason to carry one ?

·
Aim true !
11,305 Posts
What would be your reason to carry one ?
He probably wants to scare the bad guys like that uber driver. We had here awhile ago.

Reactions: Nod

·
Registered
7,709 Posts
In any city or town in the USA it is highly likely to be illegal to discharge an air rifle, bb gun, or slingshot. If you're in town, it would likely be legally safer to call animal control.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts