National Gun Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I am in Dick's Sporting Goods tonight shopping and there is a nice older woman (a school teacher) who is going to buy a pellet gun for home protection and for protection when walking her dog and driving....

Took me 15 minutes to convince her what a bad idea that would be. Had to explain to her that if she was a victim of a crime a pellet gun would do nothing. She said it might scare away a perp. I explained to her that most criminals have a hell of a lot of exposure to handguns and that they could spot a pellet gun from a mile away. That all it would do is get them to act more agressive.

Then she tells me that she would shoot them in the leg with the pellet gun and get out of the house...

Luckily I talked her out of the idea and spent the next 15 minutes convincing her to buy some bear spray for the interim... the interim being until she gets her gun permit which will be 5 business days from monday since she will apply for it on Monday. She also will be going for a conceal carry class to learn about defense laws and gun safety (I gave her the name of the place I go to). She went from wanting to buy a pellet gun for self defense/carry to planning on buying and carrying a handgun (possibly a Glock).

One more person converted.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Good Job Glock and Load.

There was a guy around this area several years ago that carried a pellet gun that looked like a 9mm pistol. He wasn't doing it for self defense, more of hiim being a gang banger want to be. IIRC, he was waiving it at someone around the neighborhood, the police were called, didn't know it wasn't a firearm and he was promptly dispatched to the other side. As you must have convinced the lady, a pellet gun is a toy that has no business in any personal defense plan.

E

·
Banned
818 Posts
Big E said:
As you must have convinced the lady, a pellet gun is a toy that has no business in any personal defense plan.
I have to disagree a little bit on that. I highly doubt a BG taking a pellet/BB to both eyes is going to want to continue the engagement.

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
55,659 Posts
I imagine it might be more effective than harsh language...

·
Registered
341 Posts
Maser said:
Big E said:
As you must have convinced the lady, a pellet gun is a toy that has no business in any personal defense plan.
I have to disagree a little bit on that. I highly doubt a BG taking a pellet/BB to both eyes is going to want to continue the engagement.
The chances of you actually hitting him in the eye is just about zip, you are better off throwing a handful of rocks. :roll: A pellet gun is in no way a useful tool for self defense.

-Derek

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Glock and Load said:
So, I am in Dick's Sporting Goods tonight shopping and there is a nice older woman (a school teacher) who is going to buy a pellet gun for home protection and for protection when walking her dog and driving....

Took me 15 minutes to convince her what a bad idea that would be. Had to explain to her that if she was a victim of a crime a pellet gun would do nothing. She said it might scare away a perp. I explained to her that most criminals have a hell of a lot of exposure to handguns and that they could spot a pellet gun from a mile away. That all it would do is get them to act more agressive.

Then she tells me that she would shoot them in the leg with the pellet gun and get out of the house...

Luckily I talked her out of the idea and spent the next 15 minutes convincing her to buy some bear spray for the interim... the interim being until she gets her gun permit which will be 5 business days from monday since she will apply for it on Monday. She also will be going for a conceal carry class to learn about defense laws and gun safety (I gave her the name of the place I go to). She went from wanting to buy a pellet gun for self defense/carry to planning on buying and carrying a handgun (possibly a Glock).

The only mistake I feel that you made was recomending a Glock (or anyother semiauto for that matter).

A person with that little knowladge about guns needs to start with the ease of a wheel gun!

I myself only have one wheel gun for protection and many semiauto's that I carry almost daily, but I understand how they work and such so if there ever is a jam I can very quickly solve the problem. A revolver there is no chance of a jam! If for some reason it does not go bang when the trigger is pulled there is no trying to clear it an shooting, you just pull the trigger again!

As much as I believe in my semiauto's, I will allways believe a newbee that is jumping straight in to a gun for protection should allways start with a revolver!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
git_r_done said:
[quote="Glock and Load":1bd58]So, I am in Dick's Sporting Goods tonight shopping and there is a nice older woman (a school teacher) who is going to buy a pellet gun for home protection and for protection when walking her dog and driving....

The only mistake I feel that you made was recomending a Glock (or anyother semiauto for that matter).

A person with that little knowladge about guns needs to start with the ease of a wheel gun!

I myself only have one wheel gun for protection and many semiauto's that I carry almost daily, but I understand how they work and such so if there ever is a jam I can very quickly solve the problem. A revolver there is no chance of a jam! If for some reason it does not go bang when the trigger is pulled there is no trying to clear it an shooting, you just pull the trigger again!

As much as I believe in my semiauto's, I will allways believe a newbee that is jumping straight in to a gun for protection should allways start with a revolver![/quote:1bd58]

We talked about some of the smaller (size not caliber) wheel guns. I recommended a wheel gun at first but for some reason she was kind of intimidated by them. I ultimately sent her to somebody at the gun shop that I go to who will certainly assist her in making a purchase for this reason.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Maser said:
Big E said:
Do you realize how hard it is to shoot in that type of situation. No way in bloody hell 99% of the shooters out there hit each eye once, let alone somebody who is just getting into shooting.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Popeye said:
I imagine it might be more effective than harsh language...
I would disagree. It would make the agressor become MORE agressive in a vast majority of the cases.

·
Iron Maiden
8,441 Posts
Glock and Load said:

Good for you!

And hopefully she'll tell her friends, who'll tell their friends, and so on.................... ;)

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Bravo! Good Job! :-B-:

Good advice, send her to the gun shop to chat with the experts.

I too agree with GRD that the wheel guns are best for the inexperienced hand. They can see the bullets in the gun and always know if its loaded, except for that sneaky one under the hammer. No slide to fumble with in the dark and they will shoot out of a coat pocket if they have a concealed hammer.

I see women at the range shooting them well, even though the little lightweights are tough on the wrist. For home protection a good stainless steel 38 is a good choice. Has weight to backup the recoil and they will tolerate a lot of neglect but be ready in an emergency.

That said, SheNine can shoot anything so if the gal is so inclined and takes to the sport she will be able to shoot whatever she likes.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
sig232 said:
Bravo! Good Job! :-B-:

Good advice, send her to the gun shop to chat with the experts.

I too agree with GRD that the wheel guns are best for the inexperienced hand. They can see the bullets in the gun and always know if its loaded, except for that sneaky one under the hammer. No slide to fumble with in the dark and they will shoot out of a coat pocket if they have a concealed hammer.

I see women at the range shooting them well, even though the little lightweights are tough on the wrist. For home protection a good stainless steel 38 is a good choice. Has weight to backup the recoil and they will tolerate a lot of neglect but be ready in an emergency.

That said, SheNine can shoot anything so if the gal is so inclined and takes to the sport she will be able to shoot whatever she likes.
Whatever she ultimately gets it has to be something that will be easy for her to carry. My wife can shoot anything also and she is 5'3" and weighs 105 pounds soaking wet.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My wife is a recovering stroke victim, the only semi auto she could operate would be a .32 tip up since she lacks the strength to rack a slide. She found a good compromise in a New/Old Stock Taurus 731 in .32 H&R mag. The 85 gr Federal HIShok moves out at slightly over 1k fps in the snubbie, 1200 in a 4" barrel. Causes a nice headache.
The older models had ported barrels which reduce the recoil by 1/3 and she can easily cock it to shoot single action. Although it's a snubbie she can keep all 6 in the kill zone at 15 feet. It lives in the console of her car.
Unlike her cell phone it always has a good signal. :i:

ps: I own a very accurate Crossman pellet gun. It is worthless except for chasing away varmants and stray dogs trying to turn over my trash can.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Dethlokk said:
I don't know... I'm sure it would hurt pretty bad if you shot someone in the face with it... especially in the eyes...

Oops, I thought we were talking about a 9mm... :lol: :p
:lol: Yeah, a 9mm to the eye would ruin somebody's day.

·
Right Wing Zealot
1,228 Posts
I think you should have let her buy the pellet gun...they would be good for keeping mutants out of the yard. How much fun would that be to sittin' and spittin' on the porch with a pistol pellet gun and zap trespassers and renegade skateboarders an evening. Much more fun than watching CSI re-runs.

Good job on the salvation of her safety though...but a block? I think we need to start working on your salvation. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
SatanzBountyHunter said:
I think you should have let her buy the pellet gun...they would be good for keeping mutants out of the yard. How much fun would that be to sittin' and spittin' on the porch with a pistol pellet gun and zap trespassers and renegade skateboarders an evening. Much more fun than watching CSI re-runs.

Good job on the salvation of her safety though...but a block? I think we need to start working on your salvation. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
I will never be converted away from Glocks. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the finer points in a bunch of different arms manufacturers but to me I will always have my Glocks.

·
Right Wing Zealot
1,228 Posts
Glock and Load said:
I will never be converted away from Glocks. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the finer points in a bunch of different arms manufacturers but to me I will always have my Glocks.
Did you start out shooting handguns with a Glock? I have noticed some, but not all, people that start out with other handguns have a hard time getting used to the feel of a Glock. I started out with a Colt 1911. I also have Berettas, S.A. XD's, a USP and several revolvers...but I just can't get the feel of a Glock. It is a very reliable weapon though.

·
Registered
341 Posts
SatanzBountyHunter said:
Glock and Load said:
Did you start out shooting handguns with a Glock? I have noticed some, but not all, people that start out with other handguns have a hard time getting used to the feel of a Glock. I started out with a Colt 1911. I also have Berettas, S.A. XD's, a USP and several revolvers...but I just can't get the feel of a Glock. It is a very reliable weapon though.
Try a Springfield XD out, I found that the grip angle is much more comfortable then Glocks for me anyway. I started out shooting a Colt 1911 for many years, I was a die hard 1911 fan until I sucked it up and bought an XD. I think my 1911's have only been taken out of the safe once since I got my XD. :roll:

-Derek

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
SatanzBountyHunter said:
Glock and Load said:
Other than an old .22 when I was a kid that I wish I still had the Glock was my first handgun that I ever used regularly with any sort of larger caliber. I have shot most everything and own a couple of non glock handguns, but I just feel most comfortible with a Glock.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts