National Gun Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone have knowledge about a gunmaker from Buffalo, NY named Patrick Smith. I have a family heirloom rifle with mark that reads P. Smith Buffalo 1848. I've done a little research and found that he was a fairly important maker in the early to mid 19th Century. Maybe .54 cal? Its a half round half octagonal barrel. Any additional information would be appreciated. I'd like to have it appraised for an insurance value, but I don't know where to start. I live in Kansas City.

P. Smith 1.jpeg P. Smith 2.jpeg P. Smith 3.jpeg

·
Registered
7,947 Posts
That is a beauty. There was a shop in Shawnee Mission, Kansas named "Guns Smithing Only". The owner was a lady that seemed to know her guns. The gun smith was a top knotch repair, and restoration gun smith. You might start with them
gunsmithingonly.com.

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
Smith, Patrick189 Main St., Buffalo, N. Y. Gunmaker, active 1866-75.
SMITH, Patrick— 189 Main St., Buffalo, N. Y., 1835-70. Percussion cadet rifles. Revolving pill-lock rifle.
https://www.earmi.it/USA Gunmakers/S.html

·
Registered
1 Posts
anyone have knowledge about a gunmaker from Buffalo, NY named Patrick Smith. I have a family heirloom rifle with mark that reads P. Smith Buffalo 1848. I've done a little research and found that he was a fairly important maker in the early to mid 19th Century. Maybe .54 cal? Its a half round half octagonal barrel. Any additional information would be appreciated. I'd like to have it appraised for an insurance value, but I don't know where to start. I live in Kansas City.

View attachment 102152 View attachment 102154 View attachment 102156
I have a Smith halfstock with a fishbelly stock from Buffalo, N.Y. Id say its a 38 cal. roundball barrel half octagon half round. I build rifles here in upstate N.Y. and acquired one of his rifles years ago. The bore isn't the greatest but she shoots well and doesn't rip the patches on exit. It has the same lockplate as yours but the hammer had been replaced by a cheap one years before I got the gun. Shes missing the wedge pin in the forarm but that is easily replaced. The stock seems in better shape then yours although mine had damage to the wood on the right-side of the breechplug tang. It was repaired with sheet metal a long time ago. Ill get a pic off to you if you like.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts