National Gun Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I've had some of these questions on my mind for quite awhile and it seems like a good time to ask with the recent poster.
What is the big attraction to parts kits? I have seen them advertised since i was a kid back in the days of shotgun news, what good are they? I guess i could see the AK variants if you wanted to do one of those flat sheet 80% AK builds and do a "ghost gun"(i hate that term!) but these are fairly recent as far as i know. I have seen a few(very few) other examples where people rebuilt,made or somehow used another receiver and made a semi auto version of the full auto gun from the parts kit. I have also seen where these are made into dummy display guns for older or rarer guns too. Anyway what is the big attraction to these parts kits and are there other reasons or purposes for these kits that I'm not aware of? I totally get maybe doing a dummy gun of a historically significant gun that you couldn't otherwise own unless you were rich.I guess I'm just not seeing the attraction to why these kits are pretty common and desirable.

·
Aim true !
10,266 Posts
Maybe they are like the ''solvent trap'' silencers?

·
Banned
8,370 Posts
Some kits allow you to "customize" your AR or similar with better triggers or similar. Some are needed to be 922 compliant with some imported gun variants where a certain % has to be from US parts.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Some guns can't be imported due to regulations of some sort, but you can "make it" so to speak here as long as you use a certain number of parts that are made in the U.S. For example, a G36 can't be imported, but you can get a parts kits and find manufacturers in here that make the reciever and other parts so you can assemble it yourself (or have a gunsmith do it).

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Some kits allow you to "customize" your AR or similar with better triggers or similar. Some are needed to be 922 compliant with some imported gun variants where a certain % has to be from US parts.
So then why not just buy a trigger? There isn't anything you can't buy for a AR made by 50 different companies.

·
Registered
13,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Some guns can't be imported due to regulations of some sort, but you can "make it" so to speak here as long as you use a certain number of parts that are made in the U.S. For example, a G36 can't be imported, but you can get a parts kits and find manufacturers in here that make the reciever and other parts so you can assemble it yourself (or have a gunsmith do it).

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Ok that explains some of my questions but there are hundreds of parts kits out there with most being full auto. What can you do with say a UZI, Thompson, M16, grease gun or a browning 1919? Like i said earlier i have seen where some have made or rebuilt receivers making them semi auto, is that what's mainly being done with these guns or do the people just keep the parts as some sort of collectable? Is there maybe a less than legal thing that's done with some of these? Some are pretty cheap and some are very expensive and i just don't see the attraction even on the cheaper ones.

·
Registered
13,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited by Moderator)
Btw here is the guy i was refereeing to about re-welding a torched receiver on a full auto making it a semi. There is several others in his series but he hasn't finished the video. Obviously this isn't what most people are doing....or is it? Seems like a ton of work for only the very experienced machinist for a lot of people doing this...

·
Registered
701 Posts
Ok that explains some of my questions but there are hundreds of parts kits out there with most being full auto. What can you do with say a UZI, Thompson, M16, grease gun or a browning 1919? Like i said earlier i have seen where some have made or rebuilt receivers making them semi auto, is that what's mainly being done with these guns or do the people just keep the parts as some sort of collectable? Is there maybe a less than legal thing that's done with some of these? Some are pretty cheap and some are very expensive and i just don't see the attraction even on the cheaper ones.
Yes, all these parts kits MUST be 922 compliant. Looks are a factor and certainly re-enactments play a part. But I dare say MOST are going together as Ghost Guns as you hate that term' but most who do this do so because of fear of losing our 2A rights.

I bought my 1st SKS and Mosin Nagant for $49.00 each and all the ammo for both from a Roses store in 1973 for less than $150.00. The first AK kit I bought was $49.00 back in the early'80s. Prices skyrocketed whem O-hole was pres. but stated with Slick willy. Like I said, you can buy a comlete gun cheaper than a parts kit--but you will have to do the PAPERWORK on it and somewhere or sometime the Government will know you have that gun. It is legal for you to build any gun at home as long as it is 922 compliant which includes NO fully automatic guns.

KNOW THE LAWS before you build or buy a gun.

·
Banned
8,370 Posts
If you want no paperwork, then just do a FTF buy/sell transaction

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Pends on the Make? A lot of MG-42 in this country were demilled parts kits that an experienced Plasma welders (Clem red jacket) were able to get running again There is a S&W .22 (model escapes) Revolver was great S&W bought it back short time as a parts kit gun, So many "Fit as Parts Kits" from A-Z that without further Briefing of "Parts Kits" it is anyone`s guess.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts