National Gun Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! I've noticed if you hold the gun with the thumb safety on and hammer cocked and put pressure on the trigger the hammer will drop down when you pop the thumb safety off but it will not drop fully to strike the firing pin.

· Registered
886 Posts
I would strongly recommend against doing that intentionally if there is a round in the chamber. The half cock notch is a fail safe feature in case of failure of the full cock notch. If the gun always works properly, it should never be needed or used.

You may what to have a gunsmith look at that. I am not sure that is even supposed to happen as you describe. It seems to me that if the safety is off and the trigger is pulled, the hammer should go all the way to the firing pin.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would strongly recommend against doing that intentionally if there is a round in the chamber. The half cock notch is a fail safe feature in case of failure of the full cock notch. If the gun always works properly, it should never be needed or used.

You may what to have a gunsmith look at that. I am not sure that is even supposed to happen as you describe. It seems to me that if the safety is off and the trigger is pulled, the hammer should go all the way to the firing pin.
Thanks I was thinking the same thing

· Registered
22,062 Posts
That is an enhanced "safety feature" of the hammer notch which was incorporated by Colt into the Series 80 Government Model. Mine has it (1983 manufacter) ) and the hammer dropping halfway under certain circumstance is normal for a 1911 model so configured with that part.

· Super Moderator
6,145 Posts
Thanks I was thinking the same thing

Yes take it to a gun smith. The hammer should never fall when all the safety's are on. Even with the grip safety deactivated the thumb safety, while still on, should not allow the hammer to fall.

Reactions: Stevejet
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.