National Gun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Harley Dude
Joined
·
14,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All the older police TV shows used to have detectives carrying using the paddle holsters. They would just pull it off their belts and put on their desks or dressers while at home.

I have several and just never got all that excited about them as a full time carry holster. They lock under the belt pretty good but I guess they don't tuck in to your waist as well as other belt holsters and maybe I worry about them popping off the belt at inappropriate times.

My first was a Kramer for my lightweight 38 snub, Then Forbus for my Glocks, Galco for my Sig380, etc!

Do you use them for concealed carry??
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
15,424 Posts
I have and use several "pancake" holsters. The only "paddle" holster I have is a Fobus which I don't really care for. It sticks out too far and makes it hard to conceal the firearm unless wearing a jacket. The Bianchi, El Paso Saddlery and Bluemel pancake holsters hug close to the body and I can use them under a shirt and still have concealment.
 
G

·
I'm with gunrnr, There is no way my fat boy body can conceal a paddle holster. A Galco ITW or the version made by Travis works perfect for a slim, single stack like the Kimber Ultra Carry II ot the Kahr T-40. I can conceal a G-30 with an outside Concealable Belt Holster by Galco which has the forward cant. I rarely carry the G-30 for the concealability issue when I can wear my Kahr inside and the .40 is adequate for self defense backed up by my Ruger LCP carried in a pouch by Travis that looks like a Blackberry holder. It's worn on the belt fully visible.
 

·
Pro Gun Advocate
Joined
·
10,940 Posts
The only holsters I've ever had any luck with are the ones that my belt threads through.

All of the others pull off of my waist when I attempt to draw my weapon.
 
G

·
i tried a couple but feels way too "visible" to me. i use iwb for my m&p .45 and love it. the paddle holsters stick out too far from the body for me. maybe with open carry but not concealed.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,253 Posts
The place for paddle holsters, as far as I'm concerned s at the range or messing around outside.
 
G

·
I have one of the Fobus holsters for the Ruger P90. It is not great for CCW, but I love it for open carry around my farm. It actually is one of the most comfortable holsters I ever owned. The only thing I don't like about it is you pretty much have to wear a tucked in shirt with it.
 
G

·
love them. cc with one all the time.

should i have to crawl on the ground or squeeze through somewhewre in the course of the day working, it easily slips out w/o having to undo my belt and then thread it back on.

never had one come out when i didnt want it to.
 

·
Harley Dude
Joined
·
14,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just did a quick inventory and I have five paddle holsters. Three forbus holsters, Glock 32, 45 acp compact, and 45 acp compact with a strap. Also Galco for small S&W revolver and for the Sig232.

The guns fit nice and tight and they hold the gun pretty close to the waist. Better than I remembered. I just don't use them. Galcos cost a arm and a leg but the forbus are inexpensive.

The holsters lock on your belt but can move front to back when you pull them around your waist.

Actually under a jacket they are a nice way to carry.
 

·
Drunk Supernova
Joined
·
6,002 Posts
I like em and have never had a problem CCing with one.
 

·
Harley Dude
Joined
·
14,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
C-D-P said:
I like em and have never had a problem CCing with one.
What pistol do you carry in your paddle holster. A Kimber CDP per chance???
 

·
Drunk Supernova
Joined
·
6,002 Posts
sig232 said:
C-D-P said:
I like em and have never had a problem CCing with one.
What pistol do you carry in your paddle holster. A Kimber CDP per chance???
CCII
 

·
Just Some Dude...
Joined
·
1,142 Posts
whompuss said:
I'm with gunrnr, There is no way my fat boy body can conceal a paddle holster.
I carry my M&P in a Fobus paddle holster... I am a big dude, at 6' 6" 340 pounds. I actually like mine... to each his own I guess. :mrgreen:
 
G

·
I like em'. although i carry with a M-tac seven days a week, mostly because my job required a tucked in button down shirt, i use a Blackhawk CQC with the paddle. during IDPA shoots.(faster draw and reholster time). i have the belt attachment for it but i prefer the paddle. i feel like i have better support with it.
 
G

·
I don't like them for most uses, but they work for the most important (to me). My holster has to go on and off several times a day, depending on how many paranoid (aka posted) places I have to enter to do my job. I also like the fact that I can switch from strong side to cross-draw with ease, since I rack up at least 800 miles a week behind the wheel.
 

·
Pro Gun Advocate
Joined
·
10,940 Posts
teknoid said:
I don't like them for most uses, but they work for the most important (to me). My holster has to go on and off several times a day, depending on how many paranoid (aka posted) places I have to enter to do my job. I also like the fact that I can switch from strong side to cross-draw with ease, since I rack up at least 800 miles a week behind the wheel.
Now I hadn't thought of being able to switch sides like that for driving.

I take it that no one else has found that the gun snaps into some of these holsters so tight that the whole rig comes off when you try to draw? I've had this happen quite a few times at the range.
 
G

·
Glock27Bill said:
teknoid said:
I don't like them for most uses, but they work for the most important (to me). My holster has to go on and off several times a day, depending on how many paranoid (aka posted) places I have to enter to do my job. I also like the fact that I can switch from strong side to cross-draw with ease, since I rack up at least 800 miles a week behind the wheel.
Now I hadn't thought of being able to switch sides like that for driving.

I take it that no one else has found that the gun snaps into some of these holsters so tight that the whole rig comes off when you try to draw? I've had this happen quite a few times at the range.
I use a Fobus, and after I adjusted it I didn't have a problem. Finding the "happy spot" in the tension screw took some time, though
 

·
Just Some Dude...
Joined
·
1,142 Posts
teknoid said:
I use a Fobus, and after I adjusted it I didn't have a problem. Finding the "happy spot" in the tension screw took some time, though
I agree... my Fobus is set perfectly, and never have a issue with it being "sloppy" or too much. Though the "sweet spot" took a while to find, along with a bit of break in period.
 

·
Harley Dude
Joined
·
14,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
After reading this thread I started playing around with my forbus paddle holsters and realized my Glock 32 trigger guard locks in so tight you can't hardly get the gun out when it is on your waist.
Needs a bit of adjustment to avoid shooting ones self while attempting to pull out the gun. Can't imagine the dance I would have to do if I was staring down a bad guy and had to pull that gun fast. :lol: :lol:
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top