National Gun Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered a new pistol off of GrabAGun.com and it was delivered to my FFL today and I arrived about 20 minutes later to pick it up and they said they weren't able to sell it to me until it was checked into their system?? Part of me gets it, but I've never had to do this before. Is it just because it's a handgun? It's already paid for, just need to transfer it.

·
Aim true !
10,258 Posts
I had handguns sent to my PA FFL. Had no problem picking them up. Not sure if he entered them into his system or not though. Just wait and let your FFL do his part.

Reactions: gvaldeg1 and Popeye

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
So did you get your gun okay?

Part of being a FFL holder is proper documentation. Let me rephrase that and say everything about being a FFL holder is proper documentation. When a gun gets transferred it needs to be properly recorded into their books. The BATF demands it. So when it gets delivered to them even though it belongs to you they can't just give it to you. They need to log it in and perform whatever checks your state requires. Only after all the "t"s are crossed and all the "i"s are dotted and you pass your background check can they transfer it to you and allow you to take possession.

·
Keep calm & return fire!
11,909 Posts
So did you get your gun okay?

Part of being a FFL holder is proper documentation. Let me rephrase that and say everything about being a FFL holder is proper documentation. When a gun gets transferred it needs to be properly recorded into their books. The BATF demands it. So when it gets delivered to them even though it belongs to you they can't just give it to you. They need to log it in and perform whatever checks your state requires. Only after all the "t"s are crossed and all the "i"s are dotted and you pass your background check can they transfer it to you and allow you to take possession.
Every word of this.

Be patient. A FFL isn't McDonalds. You can't just pull up to the window and go.

·
Banned
8,370 Posts
BS - if the FFL is customer-oriented it should be a non-issue. it takes a few moments to enter the gun in his book; less time than it take to do the NICS check. Sounds like your FFL is either lazy or just doesn't give a damn.

·
Aim true !
10,258 Posts
Im wondering if there is something up with the gun. Like it's hot. And the FFL had to hold it for investigation.

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
53,922 Posts
NOT BS!

I have entered newly received firearms into a Bound Book (done by computer). Everything should be checked and rechecked. Miskeys are not allowed. Depending on the number of firearms received, this can take an hour, or more. No one messed with me while this was going on.

Customer service is all well and good. It should be a major part of every business. But no firearm in a batch exists for viewing, fondling, sale, etc. until the entire batch is properly entered and checked. Anything else is akin to skating on very thin ice.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
I've been to places where they have a checker and he reviews all the paperwork, serial number, yada, yada, yada. I'm getting better too now they don't have to ask me to make corrections in my name or address or even what ink color to use.

I use the time in picking up any gun to thoroughly check it out to make sure everything is copacetic.

·
Keep calm & return fire!
11,909 Posts
The FFL I use usually calls me the following day after he receives the firearm. He needs to inspect everything that comes in his door.

This could get interesting though...
giphy.gif

·
Registered
13,195 Posts
BS - if the FFL is customer-oriented it should be a non-issue. it takes a few moments to enter the gun in his book; less time than it take to do the NICS check. Sounds like your FFL is either lazy or just doesn't give a damn.

True if it's a small shop. If it's a large or busy shop that has 20-30 or more guns coming in per day then it can take some time. Most of the places i deal with will do it while you're filling out the 4473 IF they only had a few come in that day. I have seen them ask a few people if they could come back later or the next day on real busy days or days where a large amount happen to come in.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm headed down to the ffl today to (hopefully) pick up my firearm with no issues. It may have been as simple as they did need to check it into their inventory before selling it, and it being the largest gun store in PA (Grices) I'll give them the benefit of the doubt that they are probably swamped with incoming shipments.

·
Aim true !
10,258 Posts
How did it go at the FFL today?

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
eh I have had a 5 day hold NCIC big brother F.B.I has lots ears/eyes and no fu__ing brains. Paddle a child and someone calls cops and an "INVESTIGATION" is done even though your cleared and cops see NO ABUSE your still in system and NCIC puts hold. Generally 3-5 days just a PIA. YES it is an inconvenience of course If I got it Illegally I would not have that BullSh_T to put up with. I`d rather follow "Proper" channels and show I am following their "RULES".

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Today I gave them the benefit of the doubt and waited until later in the work day to attempt to get my handgun. I got there around 1PM and when I asked about my pistol I got looked at like I was speaking chinese. They told me the pistol STILL wasn't ready, and I had to wait 45 minutes until it was, which leads me to believe that they either forgot about it or just didnt care enough to get whatever they needed done- done.

·
Banned
8,370 Posts
Sounds like you might to look for another FFL

Reactions: Popeye

·
Aim true !
10,258 Posts
Wow at least you got it. If you were closer east i would suggest Gators. He only charges 10.00 for internet and personal transfers.

·
Aim true !
10,258 Posts
Yeah he hes cheap. Geisers charges 50.00. For internet and 25.00 for personal.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts