National Gun Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, new to the forum sorry if this is the wrong place to post but I have a Ruger p85 with major jamming issues. Got it used of a buddy with jamming problems and it was filthy. I cleaned it all up, made sure the recoil spring was in the correct direction. Mag springs feel pretty strong although I’m no expert. Basically it’s like it’s not ejecting the spent shell quick enough and it comes half way out by the time it attempts to load the next round so the jam together if that makes sense. I can get some images after work today. Was shooting good quality ammo from my local dealer aswell.

·
Live Free
2,762 Posts
I would be suspect of the ejector and or spring too. Not sure if I could offer a good explanation here, best bet might be Ruger’s exceptional warranty. There are some instructions available on line, but not much regarding the ejector on that model.

The ejector pushes on the empty case as the slide reaches the end or its rear travel. You should be able to lock the slide back and see if it is moving and has good spring tension. It has to push the case and basically slap it loose while it pivots on the extractor, thus it clears the action as the slide begins to move forward again picking up the next round. Weak spring tension, or damaged/foiled ejector will not allow the ejector to get enough force to push the case clear enough and it will ride forward and jam against the next cartridge. Again, this might be a good reason to send it back to Ruger who will be easily able to fix it, but it might be a bit of a job for one who is not proficient in such repairs.

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
make sure the recoil spring is installed correctly as the ends of the spring are two different sizes.....slide the small end onto the rod first....the larger end of the spring towards the muzzle.....it can make a difference.

use decent ammo.....preferably 124 gr weight.

that is the two points i would start at.

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
53,782 Posts
These links may, or may not, help you.

Exploded drawing:

Simplified instructions:

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Are we talking ejector or extractor?

·
Super Moderator
11,083 Posts
I have a P89DC that had that exact same problem. Turned out to be the extractor (#13 in the exploded view that Popeye posted). Very easy to fix. Just pull it out and give it a slight bend in the direction of the chamber. This will increase the tension on the cases.

--Wag--

·
Live Free
2,762 Posts
Are we talking ejector or extractor?
I am actually referring to the ejector. To my knowledge the P85 did not have a fixed ejector like later P models...the diagrams Popeye posted sort of walk through that. The ejector on the P85 does have a spring to my understanding. That does not mean it is the fault for sure, but I would be checking it if it were mine. I think Wag has good thoughts on the extractor possibly too. Really hard to say for sure without handling the gun.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
I am actually referring to the ejector. To my knowledge the P85 did not have a fixed ejector like later P models...the diagrams Popeye posted sort of walk through that. The ejector on the P85 does have a spring to my understanding. That does not mean it is the fault for sure, but I would be checking it if it were mine. I think Wag has good thoughts on the extractor possibly too. Really hard to say for sure without handling the gun.
I have a P94 with a fixed ejector. I mistakenly assumed all the P series were the same. Apparently the P85 has an ejector spring to push the ejector pin.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts