National Gun Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was in hopes that the newer generation guns were better than the first. But they are not for me anyway and I am disappointed so far.
My wife and I bought two of the little P3AT autos the the other day. I gave them a quick cleaning.
Today we took them out for test firing and break in.
We fired Remington .380 Auto 88 grain JHPs and Winchester .380 Auto 95 grain FMJs. WE fired 100 rounds of each per Kel-Tecs recommendation for break in period.
Both guns reacted the same to both ammos.
The each failed to extract the round that had been fired leaving them in the barrel about 15% of the time. This could only be cleared by dropping the magazine and then allowing the slide to fully seat again and then ejecting the spent shell casing.
Do you have any suggestions short of returning the guns for service to you?
Sometime they would fire a full clip and other times they would jam 60% of the time per clip.
I have no failures to feed whatsoever.
I made sure our hands were not allowing the guns to recoil taking action off the springs.
I have sent an email to Kel-Tec to see what they want me to do as far as the repairs go.

G

·
Beats me.
I've had one of the little suckers for a couple of years now, never a problem. But I use nothing but 85 gr Silvertips. They work in my Seecamp when everything else stove pipes.

·
Old School.
11,011 Posts
I had two FTE's the frist day I got mine and since then it has worked flawlessly with all kinds of different ammo in it. That was about 500rds ago. They'll probably tell you to shoot another 50 through it and call. Then they'll tell you to send them in. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
Please keep us informed about Kel Tec's response and how they treat you. I had heard quite a few complaints about stoppages such as you desctibed, Ken, but only on the original models. They made several modifications to respond to those and since then, I had heard almost no complaints. FWIW, also, I had heard nothing but good reports about their warranty service, either, so I hope they take good care of you.

Thanks for the report!

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have heard good and bad about their warranty service.
We will see how they do.
Not new to guns at all. Had too many (if that's possible ;) ) and had problems with a few that had to be worked out.

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
It has been my experience that Kel-tec will respond quickly if you have any issues with their firearms and fix them fast. Their biggest fans are LEO's and thats a group that is totally intolerant of lack of service.

The first gen P3AT had problems and Kel-tec will fix them fast if you send in the pistol. But you have to send it in and not try to fix it and complain about it.

For the money they are one heck of a bargin.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
And that's why I shipped it right away.
First of all, the screw head was manufactured wrong so It could not be removed. Either that or it was damaged on assembly so that the 2mm tool would not fit in it.
That being said, I might want to replace the spring or extractor someday so not having any blued screws around to match it should I take it out the hard way it's just not worth it. If they scar or in some other way damage the slide getting it out they will just replace it. I can't do that.
And, after many types of ammo and some 200 rounds it still had an extraordinarily high failure to extract rate so it needed to be looked at.
Too many happy owners of Kel-Tec products not to give them a chance to fix it.
I just hope it gets back fairly fast so we can enjoy playing with the new toys.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Mine had to be completely rebuilt.
The assembly pin was designed wrong and damaged the frame.
It was a early first gen gun.
KT did the deed and returned it in exactly 21 days.
No problems since.
The same held true for my PF9 only it was the frame itself that had to be redesigned.

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
whompuss said:
Beats me.
I've had one of the little suckers for a couple of years now, never a problem. But I use nothing but 85 gr Silvertips. They work in my Seecamp when everything else stove pipes.

I use the same ammo. The Winchester Silvertips that I use in my Seecamp. I have used them in both my Kel-tec 32 and my 380 and have had good luck with them. Like them in my Sig232 also.

Come to think about it Silvertips are the only ammo that I have ever used in my Kel-tecs and my Seecamp.

When you get a failure to eject you look at the extractor and then make sure that the bullets will drop free into the chamber and can be extracted by hand. If not there is either a problem with the ammo or the chambers are in need of a serious cleaning or ream job.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts