National Gun Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Calling all Yodas... I was sorting through the latest batch of brass I fired off and noticed Some disturbing cases That were bulged and cracked.

I don’t know how many there are yet, I kind of noticed 1/2 way through sorting. I pulled a handful out though. My loads are below the published max so I am wondering if I’m over pressure or if one of my .40’s Has a weak recoil spring, maybe not holding the breach closed long enough. This definitely left the chamber prematurely. In either case, I’m either going to have to pitch the brass I just sorted or try to somehow identify compromised cases. These haven’t been reloaded more than once or twice. Somebody school me here.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I had 3x .40’s out there firing off these rounds so if it’s 1 gun, it may be difficult to identify.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Ok, so this is interesting. Pictured below are the barrels from 2x 40 S&W XDMs and one 40 S&W XD Mod 2. Both of the chambers in the match grade barrels are tighter than the XD Mod 2. The bulged brass will only go into the XDM chamber up to the bulge. In the XD Mod 2, the bulged brass will slide all the way into the chamber.

My thoughts here are that in the XD Mod 2, it’s not experiencing the same issue because either the bullet is staying in the chamber longer due to extra slide weight and/or the larger chamber is allowing the full brass to expand further, lowering pressure and not causing the bulge at the feed ramp when it starts traveling backwards.

You can see in the pic how far the case traveled backwards when the bulge occurred. In any case, it appears that the loads might be a touch too hot for the XDMs.

·
Aim true !
10,040 Posts
Did any of your buddies with a glock shoot them? Looks like glock bulge. Some folks run em through a bulge buster die. I cull em out when i come across them. I been coming across a lot of glocked 9mm lately.

·
Live Free
2,801 Posts
Looks like brass that has been “Glocked” which is a condition that occurs when firing guns that are not fully supported chambers. For my own clarification, all three guns are Springfield Armory with two being XDM’s Nd one XD Mod 2, correct? None are S&W?
At any rate, if all was fired in your own guns, and the fired brass only fits the XD, then you have a good idea of the culprit. You may simply be getting a taste of one size (load) doesn’t fit all; the load is fine in the XDM pistols but not the XD. But I personally have never seen an XD do that. You may want to talk to the folks at Springfield, but they are not going to be receptive to your handloads. Did the gun function okay without Glocking the brass before? Does it do the same thing to factory ammo?
It might simply be that you need to work up loads tailored for that gun different from your XDM’s, but the bulging is not a normal thing for any Springfield to my knowledge. And, the gun is not a simple blow back operation that depends upon the spring alone to keep the gun in battery, thus it needs to be checked out by the factory (in my opinion) if there is the slightest chance it is beginning its rearward movement prematurely. I doubt that is the case...
Out of curiosity, how much striker drag is evident on the fired primers?

BTW, the fact that the brass still fits into the XD chamber rules out the premature slide movement. If it still fits, it was able to fire with the breech fully closed.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
For my own clarification, all three guns are Springfield Armory with two being XDM’s Nd one XD Mod 2, correct? None are S&W?
Yes, all Springfield.

At any rate, if all was fired in your own guns, and the fired brass only fits the XD, then you have a good idea of the culprit.
Brass fits in all of them but is loose in the XD.

Did the gun function okay without Glocking the brass before? Does it do the same thing to factory ammo?
This is the first time the issue was noticed.

It might simply be that you need to work up loads tailored for that gun different from your XDM’s, but the bulging is not a normal thing for any Springfield to my knowledge. And, the gun is not a simple blow back operation that depends upon the spring alone to keep the gun in battery, thus it needs to be checked out by the factory (in my opinion) if there is the slightest chance it is beginning its rearward movement prematurely. I doubt that is the case...
Out of curiosity, how much striker drag is evident on the fired primers?
I checked and there is very little dragging. The primer strikes are very deep.

BTW, the fact that the brass still fits into the XD chamber rules out the premature slide movement. If it still fits, it was able to fire with the breech fully closed.
I think you misunderstood. The brass fits like a glove in XDMs. The bulge on the side of the brass is too far up the side of the brass to be anything other than premature movement, this is why the brass only goes so far into the XDM chamber. In the XD, The brass can be wiggled arround in the chamber, I can spin the bulged brass upside down in the XD and it will still go all the way in, indicating that it did not expand in that chamber.

It is pouring outside or I would attempted a controlled test.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Did any of your buddies with a glock shoot them? Looks like glock bulge. Some folks run em through a bulge buster die. I cull em out when i come across them. I been coming across a lot of glocked 9mm lately.
Just the 3 Springfields, no Glocks. A few of them appear to be cracked.

·
Registered
6,116 Posts
the infamous glock bulge......as it seems to be a topic from older glock generations.....and usually attributed to the high pressures with a partially "unsupported chamber" design......something that glock has suposedly addressed in newer generations.

when i run across this on the net.....and have actually seen myself on range brass....it almost always involves the 40 S&W and usually 90 percent of the time involves glock pistols.

take the three barrels and drop three loaded rounds into them......magic marker the exposed brass and then withdraw the rounds and compare the blackened area where it would bulge.....does the xd-mod-2 have less black?...if so then does it have more chamber support?

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here is a pic that demonstrates how much support is in the chamber compared to the bulge. As I said, it’s a pretty large bulge that extends far beyond the unsupported portion of the feed ramp. In order from top to bottom it’s XDM, XDM, XD Mod 2

i also checked for out of battery discharge in all 3 and them compared to a S&W shield, 1-1.5 mm out of battery discharge seems to be the same on all 4 guns so I don’t see anything out of the ordinary there. ( let me qualify that statement, I can pull the slide back 1-1.5 mm, that doesn’t mean it’s out of battery that far). As I said, this has to be leaving the chamber prematurely.

·
Registered
6,116 Posts
all the same headstamp/brand of brass or across all brands of brass?

·
Aim true !
10,040 Posts
That blackhawk is a lot of fun. I have the shorter barreled one.

Reactions: Philmo11

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
when i run across this on the net.....and have actually seen myself on range brass....it almost always involves the 40 S&W and usually 90 percent of the time involves glock pistols.
I have run across many 9mm and 45acp's with the glock bulge. In fact the 45's were giving me a problem not chamering after sizing so i began to sort them out and then poof whoever was using them at my range got a new gun, quit the club or whatever because i don't fine them anymore.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Looks like there were only 12 I found like that. I forgot my brother brought out a S&W SD40 a couple days later and we fired one mag of these. I asked him to bring it out in the morning so we can check it. If that’s the gun having a problem then at least we know. S&W has has a history of exploding 40’s

·
Live Free
2,801 Posts
Looks like there were only 12 I found like that. I forgot my brother brought out a S&W SD40 a couple days later and we fired one mag of these. I asked him to bring it out in the morning so we can check it. If that’s the gun having a problem then at least we know. S&W has has a history of exploding 40’s
Ah, possibly another culprit altogether! Hopefully you will be able to pin it down.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Well, if it is that S&W, we’ll know immediately. These would have accounted for just about every round put through it. I had forgotten he was here until I called him to give him a warning on the ammo (he has 500rds of it).

A quick search looks like it’s a possibility

·
Registered
539 Posts
Looks like you may have found the problem.
That convertible Blackhawk is a lot of fun. I have a Blackhawk and a Vaquero in .357/9mm. Absolutely love them. And accurate with 9mm, .357 or .38s.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah, I have 4 of them 2 in 45 Colt/.45acp and 2 in .22. All of mine are Bisley models. I find it odd that they would put a traditional 1873 SAA grip on the Blackhawk since it’s modeled after the Bisley target model. The Vaquero on the other hand should have an SAA model grip since it’s modeled after the 1873 SAA.

I canceled the layaway on the S&W Shield.40, going after this Blackhawk instead.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts