National Gun Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
land of the free so far.
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brother was Deer hunting with a single shot 410". Apparently it was a massive buck. so he started pop en away away at it sounded like a lever action.:machinegun:he hit it 4 out of 6 times. lets just say there was no heart or liver left.:yikes1: would love to hear any other story's on this subject.

·
Registered
6,297 Posts
Not sure what your wanting to discuss??,,,,If it's the ability of a .410 slug to kill a deer I say yes! Other than the bottom right picture my middle daughter killed those deer with a .410 slug.The first one when she was 8yrs old.

·
land of the free so far.
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh yes the 410 dose a great job would like to hear story's of more rounds fired then needed.

·
land of the free so far.
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
top left looks like a good size buck.

·
Registered
9,127 Posts
I was honestly thinking from the OP that he was wasting some good ammo and meat. Sounds like he needs a muzzleloader to me.

·
land of the free so far.
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We have never really gotten in to muzzle loading. Yes it was a waste of ammo he had to buy more.

·
land of the free so far.
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had meant to put this thread under "deer hunting". but an aver kill gun is a 308.

·
Super Moderator
14,635 Posts
My Great-great grandfather had one gun, a Double 10 gage. It had damascus barrels and fired BP shells that he loaded himself (I've still got part of the equipment he used) in whatever flavor he chose. When one of the boys wanted to go hunting he'd give them the gun and two of any kind of shells they wanted. If they shot, they'd better have meat for the pot or he'd beat them. If they shot both shells then they'd better have enough for all 14 of them to eat for supper or, yes, that's right.... a beating.

Buying more ammo was not an option since they only went to town twice a year. Gunpowder, shot and primers were equated directly to food. Even though they were all successful people after they were adults, I never saw nor heard of any of them throwing a bite of food away, ever.

When I see this KFC commercial on TV about "I ate the bones", I think of those folks. I have seen them eat the bones from fried chicken. I've eaten a few myself. I didn't know you weren't supposed to until I was about 12.

Alan

·
land of the free so far.
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yep we taught to eat every thing on our plates,if we didn't we would have to sit there on till we ate it all.
thank you.

·
Registered
6,452 Posts
That is how it was when I was a kid. You could take as much or as little as you liked but you had to eat what you put on your plate. Also what was for dinner was what was for dinner. My mom made 1 good meal. Usually some sort of meat, always some veggies unless we were having pasta. There was none of this, " Well Billy won't eat beans and Mike does not like hot dogs so I will make some potatoes for Billy and a hamburger for Mike." It's amazing how fast those miss meal cramps will cure a picky eater.

·
Registered
14,423 Posts
I used to hunt some property near my dads. There were a couple of others who had permission to hunt there also. I watched a guy dump a full mag from a Remington 7400 30-06 into a small deer. The deer was down but alive and i yelled to him to stop shooting while he was reloading. We both walked over and i watched him put 3 more rounds at point blank range. I walked away SMH. He hit that poor deer everywhere except where he should have and was probably lucky to get a burger from it.

·
Registered
9,127 Posts
I know there are a lot of guys hunting this way but it just irritates me. Kinda takes sporting out of it. Watch video of the guy braggin.

·
Registered
14,423 Posts

·
Registered
6,297 Posts
Only on the hunting channel does everything go bang flop.Sometimes follow up shots are necessary.It's been my experience deer hunting with buckshot is about like some folks idea of self defence,,,it's better to empty the gun.That said I always strive for one shot clean kills as I'm sure everyone does.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
I once shot a mule deer buck with a 3" 00 buck 12 gauge load. It got up again, so I shot it again. Out of 30 pellets I sent downrange in those two shots, the deer had 28 holes in it. Guy at the processor gave me the eye when I brought it in. But it died on the spot, with little meat lost.

Reactions: magic Mike

·
Registered
9,127 Posts
I did not realize there were that many states still allowing 00buck for hunting. uuummmm!

Reactions: Popeye
1 - 17 of 17 Posts