National Gun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Friday, May 30, 2008
Outrage Of The Week

This week’s outrage comes to us from Winchendon, Massachusetts where, in yet another case of “zero-tolerance” enforcement defying common sense, fourth-grader Bradley Geslak was suspended from Toy Town Elementary School for bringing a Memorial Day souvenir to school.

According to a May 29, Telegram.com article, a uniformed veteran gave the 10-year-old two empty rifle shell casings from blanks used during the town’s Memorial Day celebration Monday morning. Bradley gave one of the empty casings to his grandfather and kept the other as a souvenir. The trouble began when he took his souvenir to school the next day.

“He was just playing with it at lunch,” explained Crystal Geslak, Bradley’s mother. “He wasn't showing it to anyone; he had it in his hand and was playing with it.”

A teacher saw him with the harmless piece of brass and confiscated it. Ms. Geslak was then called at work and told to come and pick up her son, who had been suspended for five days!

Ms. Geslak arrived at the school to find her son in tears. “I was totally shocked. I couldn’t believe this was happening,” she said. “It was just an empty shell, not even from a real bullet. A sharpened pencil would be more dangerous than this piece of metal.”

“He was so proud to have been given them. His dad’s a veteran, his uncle’s a veteran, both his grandfathers are veterans. Memorial Day is a big thing to us. It’s a very important holiday and we have a big celebration every year,” Ms. Geslak said.

Ms. Geslak, who will be forced to miss work in order to stay home with her son, says she is worried about what having a “weapon-related suspension” on his school record will mean to his future.

To add insult to injury, the family says a school official told them that the shell would not be returned, and that the next step might involve assigning a probation officer to Bradley! Yes, you read that right, a probation officer.

A young boy punished over a harmless souvenir. By any standard, that’s outrageous.

If you’d like to express your concern over this incident, please visit http://www.winchendon.mec.edu/. To leave a voice message for Brooke Clenchy, Superintendent of Schools, please call 978-297-0031.

G

·
Outrage is right. This is just ridiculous that they would suspend this kid for something so innocent. It is a shame that the lunatics are in control of the asylum.

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It may sound stupid to some, but I read the story and actually hurt for that poor kid. Damn, when you're 10 and you get a special prize like that, and it's taken away for reasons you probably can't understand?! Jeez!!

I think the Brain Surgeons at the Winchendon Public School system need to get in line with some of their fellow morons in cities where kids have been disciplined for *drawing pictures with* guns and *pointing fingers and saying, "Bang"*. Zero-tolerance = Zero responsibility = Zero effort for public employees who are, in my book, worth *ZERO*. It's nothing short of brainless, CYA management.

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
In protest I think every child should bring a gun picture to school or a empty shell chasing. I wonder if they would kick them all out?

·
Pro Gun Advocate
10,940 Posts
The upside (if I may call it that) is that these folks are raising the next generation of Conervatives.

This is a tragic but valuable lesson on how dysfunctional, mean and illogical Liberalism really is.

I doubt that this kid and others like him will grow up to be receptive to their ways.

·
Drunk Supernova
6,002 Posts
WTF?

Idiotic, truly idiotic.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Unfortunately, idiots are rampant in our society, and they have powerful positions as well!
How did they get to those positions in the first place? Probably kissing ass, and doing exactely as they are told by those who are higher-up than they are, whom themselves are not the sharpest knives in the drawer.

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Magman is right on all counts. Back in olden times when I was a kid, we respected teachers and the principals and such were all experienced teachers. Starting when our kids were in Mid-School (around the early 90s) we started seeing more and more teachers and mgt that seemed to be mental midgets. When the kid comes home with a note from the teacher and it has two spelling errors and is gramatically incorrect...and it's only a TWO SENTENCE note...

...you think I'm exaggerating?

G

·
e-mail sent i even toned it down after waiting awhile to post it.poeple likr that just piss me off. i bet if her freedom of speech rights were infringed upon she'd have issues.

·
Drunk Supernova
6,002 Posts
gunrnr said:
Please tell me you are!

Please.

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
C-D-P said:
gunrnr said:
Please tell me you are!

Please.
I only wish. As I said, back in the dark ages (when I was coming up) teachers weren't paid all that great but took pride in their work and the accomplishment of their kids. Today, it seems as though those who can't make it anywhere else become teachers. I'm sure I'm offending someone who may be the exception, and for that I apologize. But unless and until teachers go back to TEACHING, this country is in trouble. ...and all I ever hear and read is "We've got to pay our teachers better". Why? Where I come from, you get paid for performance.

Has anyone thought about the fact that just the top one percent (1%) of Chinese students is a larger group than the total number of children attending Grades K-12 in America? How'd you like to be graded on THAT curve? Wake up, America, like it or not, we're in a GLOBAL ECONOMY!

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Visit the high schools in China or Japan and you see strict dicipline. Visit the high schools in America and you see a total out of control classroom with the kids knowing that the teachers have very little ability to dicipline. All they can do is suspend, maybe that is why they do that at the drop of a hat nowadays. I don't know, maybe the kids that get suspended are dicipline problems and they jump at the chance to kick them out to get the parents to react. ;)

·
Registered
3,978 Posts
Anyone hear about the "teacher" that had the kids in the class "vote out" one of the other students? True story, Miss so and so decided it would be a great thing to have her class mock the tv show "Survivor" and vote out one of the students. Well, the class voted out "Billy" (not his real name, I don't think). Billy went home and told his mom what had happened. She was outraged, her son was crying and refused to go back to school. I don't blame him.
He was in KINDERGARTEN!!!!!!!!!!! I forgot to mention the boy is autistic.
She has been removed from that classroom, but not fired. Bitc-H should have been taken out and whipped, then voted off the planet. Just my opinion.

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
When I taught at the Corections Academy, we had to get it across to the recruits that no matter what the ratio, the inmates can never be allowed to run the asylum; the prisoners can never run the penitentiary. Well, the students and the ACLU cannot run the school system, either.

How many times do we hear about "student's" and "children's" rights? That's bullshit. A student has the right to go to school and expect the best education that the school can provide. The school has the right to order and discipline among the student body, in order for the teachers to do what they are there to do.

My aunt taught in the New York City school system for 18 years before teaching another 10 years in El Paso, Texas. That was in the late 60s and early 70s, and the teachers were already losing the social wars by that time. In New York she was punished for being named "Teacher of the Year" by being transferred to ...let's say a "disadvantaged" school. That was one of the factors that led to their move to El Paso.

Her first week teaching in El Paso (which happens to be 45 miles south of where I grew up) she asked a fellow teacher why the students were mocking her. The other teacher asked what she meant. My aunt said, "Well, any time I ask something they respond, 'Yes, Ma'm' or 'No, Ma'm'." She had never heard that in New York. Well, that was the mid-70s. Ain't that way no mo'. Not in El Paso, not here in central New Mexico. Not in Colorado or Kansas, either, from what we hear from friends and family.

·
Registered
3,978 Posts
sig232 said:
I don't know, maybe the kids that get suspended are dicipline problems and they jump at the chance to kick them out to get the parents to react. ;)
Sorry Sig, for the first time ever, I disagree with you. The people that stand at the front of the class are not teachers; they are babysitters with nanny cam (kids with cell phones) running throughout the day. Children are, for the most part, innocent. For a child to go to school and get suspend for bringing something that teaches him about the honor and integrity of this country is WRONG.

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
GonBalistik said:
sig232 said:
I don't know, maybe the kids that get suspended are dicipline problems and they jump at the chance to kick them out to get the parents to react. ;)
Sorry Sig, for the first time ever, I disagree with you. The people that stand at the front of the class are not teachers; they are babysitters with nanny cam (kids with cell phones) running throughout the day. Children are, for the most part, innocent. For a child to go to school and get suspend for bringing something that teaches him about the honor and integrity of this country is WRONG.
Yea, I agree with you, I was thinking of the high school kid for the most part. The young ones are a whole different ball game!

·
Registered
3,978 Posts
sig232 said:
GonBalistik said:
sig232 said:
Yea, I agree with you, I was thinking of the high school kid for the most part. The young ones are a whole different ball game!

We tend to forget about the little ones because of the screw ups of the big ones. I still believe if we can get to the kids and teach and reward them for the good things they know and do they will turn out ok, just like us!

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Don't be so rough on that poor young teacher. She was trying to stay cool and keep order. Besides that, she needed to get home on time that evening. She had a hot date lined up with a ninth-grader.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts