National Gun Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Decided recently that it was time to upgrade my carry piece. The G43x is a nice gun and all, but it has a lot of unnecessary bulk for it's caliber and capacity, I think. So I went to one of the local shops, and he had a S&W Shield 40 performance center with 4" barrel. I've always been a fan of the shields, and I like the idea of having a slim single stack with a longer barrel than a typical sub, so I decided to make the trade.

20200801_202912.jpg 20200801_203148.jpg 20200801_203200.jpg 20200801_203245.jpg

Has high-viz fiber optic sights (not night sights) and the trigger is an improvement over the already nice trigger on the base model shield. Came with a 7-round mag with grip extension and a 6 round mag that leaves the grip shortened. Recoil on the .40 is, as I already knew, snappier than 9mm, but the ergonomics on the shield still make for an easy reset and smooth follow-up shots. Very happy with the trade overall.

·
Registered
511 Posts
If you mind me asking was there any other reasons you decided to go with the S&W besides what you stated? I am also shopping for a concealed carry and knowledge is key in doing this. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
S&W is a decent brand overall, and my experience with shields, and the M&P series of pistols in general, has been positive.

Shields are nice because that are reliable and their slim construction makes them easy to conceal. However, they are very light, which means the recoil can be snappy in any caliber, especially with rounds like the .40 s&w.

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
Congrats. I have seen a lot of S&W bashing and for the shield in particular over the years. I bought a standard 9mm back in 2013 and it's been a great gun. I lost track of the round count thousands of rounds ago and have never done anything to it(that i remember) except shoot and clean.

·
Aim true !
10,020 Posts
Congrats on the new smith. 👍

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Every brand has it's lemons, and, unfortunately, those lemons are often the only ones you hear about. People as a whole tend to be more likely to give feedback on negative experiences than positive ones (I, myself, am guilty of that at times).

·
Aim true !
10,020 Posts
I was hesitant on buying another smith semi-auto. Because of how my SDVE'S were. I took a chance on the 380 EZ. Im a happy camper with it.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
I bought 6 with a 50% success rate with S&W Shield series as far as function out of the box, meaning half had parts that had to be replaced, mags, guide rod, etc. recently just had a S&W SD40VE with an unsupported chamber issue, which I need to update that thread... the Shield is a more expensive model, I’d expect yours to be a little better built than the SD40, this thing has a plastic guide rod in a gun that generates as much as 600 lb ft of energy...

Seems if you get a good one, you have a good one. Hope you have good luck with it.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Biggest problem I've had with S&W is the mag on my SD9VE, gun itself functioned fine, but the mag failed to engage the slide lock when empty. Fairly minor issue, and turned out to be an easy fix.

Never had any issues with the M&P series. My sister's fiance has a full size M&P 40, my mom has the standard 3.1" shield 40, both have had them for quite some time now with no issues. Could be luck, could have the do with the facility it's made in (S&W has a few, closest one is in Mass, IIRC). In any case, I certainly hope our record continues with this one.

·
Jesus Saves
7,796 Posts
Didn’t you just get that? What happened?
Well, as many have reported, FTF and a few jams. 98% of all 115gr worked. Step up to 124 and about 20+% FTF and 147gr about 50% FTF. Use SD ammo (HP ad such), ad 20% to those numbers. Getting caught on the ramp.

Definitely not an EDC.

I hate to say this, but I have been reading up on the XDE. Not quite at that point yet, but I want dependablility and safety. I sent it back to S&W a week ago and according to my calculations, I might get it back by the end of September (6 -8 weeks). Needless to say, S&W is off my list. I have never had mechanical issues with any gun I had, never. I have bought mostly Ruger and had one Springfield Armory (XDm). The XDm ran anything I put through it but had to give it away because the weakness in my had was getting the best of me. XDE may be the answer; BUT I must wait. I had to save up for the EZ and with times like they are....it may be a while. That is why I say I may sell the EZ once I get it back. It will be a charm for someone who will not use it for EDC.

Maybe I will be surprisingly happy with it when it comes back.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Ziggidy, I honestly think you’ll be happy with the XDE. The 9mm is my current favorite among the 28 handguns I own. I have barely shot my .45 version due to lack of time to play.

Like I said before, the major difference in the draw weight of the slide is that the XDE, all the weight is at the beginning of the draw. The EZ is at the end of the draw. The weight is about the same.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts