National Gun Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
15,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the guv up to no good, and this lefty living next door, this guy I've never spoken one word to, tells the ***** he's living with I should be red flagged, I decided the Ar was probably going to be more trouble than it was worth. I'me not shooting it anyway, and I didn't want to just end up losing it if lefty wanted to make trouble for me. So I took it up to a pawn shot that has been fair with me. He offered $550, just for the gun, but told me to come back in the afternoon, his AR guy would probably pay me more. So I came home, loaded up the ammo, and all the stuff in the "junk" drawer, stuff I have taken off my AR's and replaced..The $550 stood, that's about what I've got into it, they paid me $0.28/rnd fr my ammo, $220 for about 750 rnds of mixed ammo, mostly Tula. In the end I walked out with $900. The best I was hoping for was $700, and I thought I would have to fight for that. They treated me good, I got rid of a headache, bought a couple clocks I wanted, put $700 in savings, and that's that. I didn't have any freedom in the ranges around here, no rapid fire, no shooting from the hip, not that I could afford it anyway. It was just a statement, that no one knew I was making except you guys and lefty and his gf. I've still got my pistols, if they come and take them, I'm not out a whole bunch.

·
AZHerper
4,567 Posts
You said "bought a couple clocks I wanted". Were these antique clocks and are you or have you been NAWCC (National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors) member. For a long time I was and I collected and rebuilt antique clocks. It was a lot of fun but the market collapsed and there aren't a lot of us around that have the tools and knowledge to do this. Also, most of the experienced NWACC members have died off.

·
Registered
15,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm a member of the NAWCC, the board isn't very active, but the same old faces pop up now and then. John Hubby visits the board according to his profile, but I never see any posts by him. He is the curator for the museum now, I don't know if he was in that position 10 years ago when I was active. I only do 400 and 1000 day clocks, they are simple, just finicky. I have one antique, a Huber manufactured in late 1923. The rest are vintage. I sold most of my clocks ten years ago when I moved here, I kept the Huber, a 1000 day and a 400 day Schatz clocks. They have just been sitting and building tarnish. I've cleaned them up and got them running, acquired a few more in the last couple months. Here's my growing family who won't put me in jail.

·
Aim true !
11,795 Posts
My mom has some clocks like them. It's a bummer you have lousy neighbors. Hope they move out soon.

·
Registered
15,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
He moves out when her parents come in the winter. But she plans on inheriting this, her dream home, which might not be too long. Then I'm stuck with them year round.

·
AZHerper
4,567 Posts
I'm a member of the NAWCC, the board isn't very active, but the same old faces pop up now and then. John Hubby visits the board according to his profile, but I never see any posts by him. He is the curator for the museum now, I don't know if he was in that position 10 years ago when I was active. I only do 400 and 1000 day clocks, they are simple, just finicky. I have one antique, a Huber manufactured in late 1923. The rest are vintage. I sold most of my clocks ten years ago when I moved here, I kept the Huber, a 1000 day and a 400 day Schatz clocks. They have just been sitting and building tarnish. I've cleaned them up and got them running, acquired a few more in the last couple months. Here's my growing family who won't put me in jail.
Thanks for the reply and your post which I like a lot. I met John Hubby a long time ago. I think that it was in a NAWCC regional show in Portland. I got rid of many of my clocks but I still have a few crystal regulators with visible ruby escapements. These have always been my favorites. I have never worked on the torsional clocks but always found them interesting. I also have a bunch of pocket watches which I used to wear all of the time until they stopped making jeans with a fob pocket. I have one Patek Phillipe watch with a snail regulator (which I think was designed by Adrienne Philippe).

·
Registered
15,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I like watching them, it's like watching fish. I've gone into a couple Korean wall clocks, no fun. I found my first Torsion clock about 15 years ago at an outdoor flea market for $15, Schatz standard, thought I would give it a whirl. After a couple very frustrating weeks, I started it off after some adjustments, went back an hour later and it was still running. I was hooked. These things have been stored in attics and basements, sold in thrift stores and flea markets, banged around and many go to the scrap yard. To get them shining again and running and keeping time is a real thrill. Love my clocks.
This one is coming Monday:
A miniature Haller, but this one is smaller than other miniatures, I call it a miniature miniature. I can see the suspension spring is all twisted up, so it may be a challenge. Six inches tall....dinky little thing.

Attachments

·
AZHerper
4,567 Posts
I like watching them, it's like watching fish. I've gone into a couple Korean wall clocks, no fun. I found my first Torsion clock about 15 years ago at an outdoor flea market for $15, Schatz standard, thought I would give it a whirl. After a couple very frustrating weeks, I started it off after some adjustments, went back an hour later and it was still running. I was hooked. These things have been stored in attics and basements, sold in thrift stores and flea markets, banged around and many go to the scrap yard. To get them shining again and running and keeping time is a real thrill. Love my clocks.
This one is coming Monday:
A miniature Haller, but this one is smaller than other miniatures, I call it a miniature miniature. I can see the suspension spring is all twisted up, so it may be a challenge. Six inches tall....dinky little thing.
Very nice! As you know there's a beauty and elegance in so many of the old clocks and watches. I'm sure that an appreciation of real "hands-on" workmanship is one of the things that regulars on this site see in many guns (particularly old ones).

·
Registered
3,654 Posts
You could of easily sold your ammo for twice what you got. They may have been what you considered fair to you in the past but they low balled you in today's market. They do have to have a markup to stay in business. Did they have ammo for sale and if they did what were they asking for it? Watch what they sell your ammo for.

·
Registered
15,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I checked Ammoseek before I went up there, starting at $0.38/rnd for Tula, plus shipping. They had a lot of ammo, they had a lot of AR's. I thought what they gave me for everything was more than fair, they didn't need any of my stuff, they had plenty. I don't care what they sell it for, I got more than I was looking for, so I'm happy. If I wanted to go through Armslist or other sites like it, I take a risk that I don't want to take, risk of getting robbed, risk of selling to someone that shouldn't have it. All that risk is now theirs. I happy with what I got.

·
Premium Member
7,395 Posts
Good for you I guess but it sucks to have to go the way you did. Didn’t you buy that AR like recently? I seem to remember that you sold one you had too cheap and paid too much for the one you had. It may have not been you but it seems that way.

·
Registered
15,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yup, that's me. Pretty much gave my carbine away, then when the riots started I had a hell of a time getting the parts for another one, and paying out the wazoo for ammo. That's me. But I'm done with AR's. If I'm ever in a position where my 9mm isn't enough, then I guess I'm in some serious **** and I might not survive! They were fun for the little bit I got to shoot them. They are fun to build. But I had my fun.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Red Flag may...MAY work in family situations or professional diagnosis situations, but anyone else asking for one needs to be held responsible and criminally charged for filing a false report when it has no merit. Few "progressives" would have the nerve to face the consequences. It's a shame the OP bullied into that decision.

·
Live Free
3,446 Posts
With the guv up to no good, and this lefty living next door, this guy I've never spoken one word to, tells the * he's living with I should be red flagged, I decided the Ar was probably going to be more trouble than it was worth. I'me not shooting it anyway, and I didn't want to just end up losing it if lefty wanted to make trouble for me. So I took it up to a pawn shot that has been fair with me. He offered $550, just for the gun, but told me to come back in the afternoon, his AR guy would probably pay me more. So I came home, loaded up the ammo, and all the stuff in the "junk" drawer, stuff I have taken off my AR's and replaced..The $550 stood, that's about what I've got into it, they paid me $0.28/rnd fr my ammo, $220 for about 750 rnds of mixed ammo, mostly Tula. In the end I walked out with $900. The best I was hoping for was $700, and I thought I would have to fight for that. They treated me good, I got rid of a headache, bought a couple clocks I wanted, put $700 in savings, and that's that. I didn't have any freedom in the ranges around here, no rapid fire, no shooting from the hip, not that I could afford it anyway. It was just a statement, that no one knew I was making except you guys and lefty and his gf. I've still got my pistols, if they come and take them, I'm not out a whole bunch.
Well, that sucks Sam! I am glad you got more that you expected for the gun and ammo though! Sounds like you have resigned yourself to being okay with your situation, I respect that. But I hope the clowns you have for neighbors learn to mind their own business instead of yours. If, by chance, they took your pistols that you have left they would be taking away a piece of your freedom…your rights.
But your clocks are pretty awesome! They are not really an interest for me personally, but I enjoy seeing true craftsmanship and caring that it takes to maintain and repair delicate mechanisms like that. I am impressed!

·
Live Free
3,446 Posts
Red Flag may...MAY work in family situations or professional diagnosis situations, but anyone else asking for one needs to be held responsible and criminally charged for filing a false report when it has no merit. Few "progressives" would have the nerve to face the consequences. It's a shame the OP bullied into that decision.
Red flag laws are the result of marginally good intentions being twisted into a weapon for anti-gun folks to use in an evil manner. Most of us already know that progressives are pretty nervy folks whom, for the most part, do whatever to get what they want.
Sam’s actions a shame? Not hardly! Just a man trying to live peacefully amongst evil folks. The real shame is that these fool red flag laws exist in the first place, written as a progressive weapon, and can be applied against someone just because they think differently that you! The shame is that the politicians that are writing and implementing these laws are crooked at best and we have yet to vote these fools out of office and rid our land of stupid laws like these!

·
Registered
15,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I could wsmall book about this lefty next door, but I'll refrain. The guy is nuts. Another comment from him concerning my little clock shop, "We have a RIGHT to know what he's doing over there", but after he found a little hole to peer in and saw my clocks, he settled down. But these two have been running around in the dark trying everything they can to invade my privacy, and they succeeded. This guy is the reason I got the trail cam. Now that I've covered every possible access point (no hole is too small for this peeping tom, a half inch drill hole is as good as a window), they can't see in. I talked to management about it, if I get "more" video evidence, we're going to war, and my AR would have been number one on their list. Her parents, who I consider friends, will be here in November. I have no idea what I'll say to them, they will believe them over me, but they need to know what's going on. I dread the day.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Sorry you felt the need to sell off your AR.
I will never let a neighbor especially an ignorant lefty convince me to sell off.
Sure, I very rarely use my AR-15 or AR-10. But I did not buy them for everyday defense.
They are the tool I go for if the SHTF.
But, I guess we all must do what we feel is best for us.
I just hate that your turd of a neighbor won.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Am I missing something? I don't see what having an AR has to do with red flag. Did you tell them you had it? As far as I know, having an AR has nothing to do with being red flagged.

That being said, I have never owned an AR or AK and never wanted one. I qual'ed expert with an M16 in the Navy, but never liked them. I want them to be legal, but I have no use for one. I have no macho fantasies of mowing down hordes of rioters or zombies with one. Selco Begovic said such a thing would have been a liability during his four years of SHTF in Bosnia.

BTW, there is a saying, "A man with one clock knows what time it is. A man with two is never sure..." :)

·
Registered
15,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
She is the daughter of the owner snowbirds. About five years ago she started living there year round. The first couple years she was there alone, and a very good neighbor. We helped each other out a couple time for rides for medical needs. I invited her to go shooting with me. She accepted. She shot my carbine, and I may have said some stupid macho stuff. I didn't know she was a left wing nut job. Then she got a bf, for two summers she had him live with her during the summer. He was a PIA, but nothing like this guy she has had for a year or two now. This guy is a real life peeping tom. She does whatever the boy does. She's about 50, ass is getting fat, homely as a hairless cat, she needs to keep the boy happy so he don't leave. She's studying psychology so she can be a "therapist". She has so many issues it ain't funny. so now you know the whole story.

·
Live Free
3,446 Posts
Am I missing something? I don't see what having an AR has to do with red flag. Did you tell them you had it? As far as I know, having an AR has nothing to do with being red flagged.

That being said, I have never owned an AR or AK and never wanted one. I qual'ed expert with an M16 in the Navy, but never liked them. I want them to be legal, but I have no use for one. I have no macho fantasies of mowing down hordes of rioters or zombies with one. Selco Begovic said such a thing would have been a liability during his four years of SHTF in Bosnia.

BTW, there is a saying, "A man with one clock knows what time it is. A man with two is never sure..." :)
Hmmm, do you think AR owners have such macho fantasies of “mowing down hordes of rioters or zombies” as you describe? Is that your image of AR owners?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts