National Gun Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have wondered why primers have a special haz mat handling charge but ammo does not?
Powder I can understand because of it's volatility and it's form.
Primers are packed as carefully as live ammo, require the same type of strike to fire.
I would think that a .22 round would be more dangerous than a small pistol primer.
Anyone have any thoughts or reasoning why they are handled differently?

·
Aim true !
14,010 Posts
Found this via google.
''
Simple explanation, Primers /powder are used to make a final "Consumer Commodity."

ORM-D material is a limited quantity of a hazardous material that presents a low risk of hazard during transportation due to its form, quantity, and packaging. The proper shipping name for all ORM-D material is "Consumer Commodity." Not every hazardous material permitted to be shipped as a limited quantity can qualify as an ORM-D material. The ORM-D category is recognized for use within the United States only. ORM-D materials cannot be sent in international mail. It is packaged in a form intended or suitable for retail sale. ''
Why are primers considered hazmat? | Trapshooters Forum

·
Registered
981 Posts
Haz Mat fees are just another tax. The cost to ship primers is no more than shipping a book. It's govt. getting more of your money for no valid reason. Nothing different is done in shipping a thousand primers than a pound of bird seed.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Primers are an explosive while smokeless powder is a propellant. When a primer is in a cartridge it's much safer than a loose primer which can explode if improperly handled. While hazmat fees are a pain in the ass when it comes to primers they're necessary for proper packaging, handling and transportation of an explosive material.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Primers are an explosive while smokeless powder is a propellant. When a primer is in a cartridge it's much safer than a loose primer which can explode if improperly handled. While hazmat fees are a pain in the ass when it comes to primers they're necessary for proper packaging, handling and transportation of an explosive material.
The only difference is they arrive at their destination with a special sticker on the box that might cost a penny.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
The only difference is they arrive at their destination with a special sticker on the box that might cost a penny.
Well, the sticker, box and all the training employees and corporations do to meet Federal Regulation Title 49 Part 172 Subpart H.

The best way to get around the hazmat fee is to pool your purchase with your friends and spread the fee amongst yourselves. The fee remains the same no matter how large the order.

·
Registered
17,339 Posts
Well, the sticker, box and all the training employees and corporations do to meet Federal Regulation Title 49 Part 172 Subpart H.

The best way to get around the hazmat fee is to pool your purchase with your friends and spread the fee amongst yourselves. The fee remains the same no matter how large the order.
Up to a certain point. I forget how much can be put in one box but once you exceed that even by a little you get another hazmat fee. For powder I think it's around 25-30 pounds, not sure about primers but it may be one case of 5k.

Reactions: tpd1749

·
Registered
13 Posts
Haz Mat fees are just another tax. The cost to ship primers is no more than shipping a book. It's govt. getting more of your money for no valid reason. Nothing different is done in shipping a thousand primers than a pound of bird seed.
The government mandates the shipping requirements, but the HazMat fees go to the shippers for "costs" of compliance with the regs, or so I was told by one company. I could be wrong, but I don't believe any of the fee money goes to the government . When they started this HazMat BS back in the 80's it was $2-3 per package and it's what now? $25-30 per package on top of the already high shipping prices? I saw an ad for a real good price on powder awhile back, but the HazMat fees and shipping cost were about 40-50% of the product cost. I rarely buy Hazmat reloading material online just because of the BS fees and shipping charges. It seems like it's just another way for the companies and shippers to hose you more. I have a lifetime supply of primers, but powder has been real hard to find for the last few years. I buy it in 8# kegs when I can find it at brick and mortar stores.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Smokeless powder deflagrates, primers explode. However, I can still remember a time when there were no HazMat fees.

·
Registered
13 Posts

That's not totally true. I believe there is a 6-8# kegs limit per box and each box incurs the fee. I don't recall the limit on 1# bottles and I don't think they can ship primers and powder in the same box. You are right, however, that splitting the order up with others reduces the cost.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Up to a certain point. I forget how much can be put in one box but once you exceed that even by a little you get another hazmat fee. For powder I think it's around 25-30 pounds, not sure about primers but it may be one case of 5k.
I seem to remember that you can get 6 8# kegs in each box, maybe it was 4. It's been awhile since I even looked at it due to the fees. When I bought my stash of primers I paid $40 for a 5K box. The prices now are crazy.

·
Registered
17,339 Posts
I seem to remember that you can get 6 8# kegs in each box, maybe it was 4. It's been awhile since I even looked at it due to the fees. When I bought my stash of primers I paid $40 for a 5K box. The prices now are crazy.
It may be different because of the size of the box and how many you can fit it. I seem to remember my LGS saying it was around 30 or so pounds for 1lb cans. when powder was scarce I heard him talking about it because he needed to order at least that much to cover the hazmat fees and wouldnt unless he could. I believe you are correct that primers and powder cannot go in the same box and you are also right about the fees goign to the company, not the govt.
I've been a truck driver for a little over 30 years and have many friends who have hazmat licenses. I was going to do it but it's a real pain now. There are tons of regulations on the driver and company on how much you can haul, what can be hauled with it etc. Lots of paperwork, tracking, DOT regulations on the trailer. It has gotten much worse since the 911 attacks. For drivers in the past you just needed to take a test every 4 or 6 years. Now i believe it;s every 2 years along with fingerprints every time and background checks. All of these regulations apply to the shipping of powder and primers right up until it hit the small delivery trucks. Those guys don't have hazmat licenses or placards and paperwork etc. I think the theory is they probably won't have much on each truck where a shipping truck may have a lot. They have actually just eased some DOT regulations on certain hauled items but not the items we're talking about.

·
Registered
13 Posts
It may be different because of the size of the box and how many you can fit it. I seem to remember my LGS saying it was around 30 or so pounds for 1lb cans. when powder was scarce I heard him talking about it because he needed to order at least that much to cover the hazmat fees and wouldnt unless he could. I believe you are correct that primers and powder cannot go in the same box and you are also right about the fees going to the company, not the govt.
I've been a truck driver for a little over 30 years and have many friends who have hazmat licenses. I was going to do it but it's a real pain now. There are tons of regulations on the driver and company on how much you can haul, what can be hauled with it etc. Lots of paperwork, tracking, DOT regulations on the trailer. It has gotten much worse since the 911 attacks. For drivers in the past you just needed to take a test every 4 or 6 years. Now i believe it's every 2 years along with fingerprints every time and background checks. All of these regulations apply to the shipping of powder and primers right up until it hit the small delivery trucks. Those guys don't have hazmat licenses or placards and paperwork etc. I think the theory is they probably won't have much on each truck where a shipping truck may have a lot. They have actually just eased some DOT regulations on certain hauled items but not the items we're talking about.
My brother is an OTR driver and he does some HazMat hauling. He's mentioned some of the things he has to do and it does sound like a real PITA. Thanks for keeping things "rolling"!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts