National Gun Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Aim true !
11,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im impressed with the auto prime from them. So decided to get a green press lol.

·
Live Free
3,262 Posts
I hope it serves you well! That press frame is made out of cast aluminum instead of the typical cast iron that RCBS is known for. Looks like it should give decent leverage for sizing.

·
Aim true !
11,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I was not aware its's not cast iron. It should be ok. Them little C shape press's i was using. Survived me tearing them off the bench. Trying to remove stuck cases. I did end up selling them on ebay. I got 120.00 ea. Used that to buy the new press and auto prime tool.

·
Live Free
3,262 Posts
I imagine it will do just fine. RCBS makes pretty good equipment. I use almost all RCBS and Redding...they all hold up really well. I think my Rock Chucker press is over 45 years old, and the little Junior is easily fifty plus years old. At least once a year I disassemble clean and carefully lube them. They are not the cheapest, but they seem to last forever.

·
Aim true !
11,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Im trying to figure out where im going to put it now. It primarily will be used with my universal flaring die for cast in rifle casings. And some single stage rifle loading.

Reactions: AgedWarrior

·
Registered
6,620 Posts
when i started, i mounted the press to a small piece of 2x6.....then c-clamped that to the dinner table. Wife would not let me drill holes for some reason.........

that evolved into a cheap small work bench then an old military surplus desk.....heavy metal office desk...still have it.

Reactions: Coalcracker

·
Aim true !
11,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I figured out where im mounting it. I guess RCBS is part of Bushnell. My email for the purchase said Bushnell.

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
Good buy. I went ahead and ordered one too. I wanted another companion press just for seating rifle bullets so I don’t have to keep swapping dies. I have the Rock Chucker Supreme for the heavy lifting. Almost bought a small Lee press for the job but this works too. Their customer service has been pretty good. Only issue I had was during the California wildfires, they were working from home and I got lost in the shuffle. I don’t blame them for that. I’ve had to have warranty parts sent to me a couple times for that progressive I have, it’s been no charge, no questions asked so far.

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
@Coalcracker One thing I should mention, if you intend to use that RCBS Swager Die set with this press, I think I’d want to get maybe a small steel plate to lay in the floor of that press, with a hole in the center just big enough for the ram to pass through. It’s a pretty firm hit against the floor of the press to dislodge the swager from the brass case. All that pounding on the bottom of the press might beat up the aluminum frame around the ram. Chances are good one of the big box hardware stores might have something prefabed that could be used. If nothing else, a big washer with a hole just big enough for the ram to fit through would work. A little 3M double sided tape would probably hold the washer down so it doesn’t rattle. Cut a slot in the washer so you can use the primer arm without ever having to remove the washer.

·
Aim true !
11,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I like too like having press's set up for different task. I do most my rifle on the Lyamn brass smith turret. It holds 8 dies. My lee turret i do pistol and 223 in. I have the dies in there own tool head. And i have a lee app press just for mass decapping. And a lee O shape press for decapping rifle bigger than 223. Good idea on the steel plate too.

Reactions: Philmo11

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
@Coalcracker Did you get yours yet? Mine showed up today. First thing I noticed was the lack of bolts. They’re using press nuts (washers) instead of nuts and bolts. Might need to use a socket and hammer to tap them down a little, snug it up. The next thing I noticed was the priming arm is a ribbed shaft you have to tap in with a hammer. Once it’s on there, it’s there to stay. Make sure you run the little shaft through the priming arm before you tap the rubbed end into the press. The other end is a little bigger than the hole. If you don’t, you’ll have to drive it back out and do it again. The priming arm itself appears to be the same.
It’s a neat little press for $100.

Press nuts (Rock Chucker is bolted together).

Primer arm assembly, (the Rock Chucker is threaded with a thumb screw).

·
Aim true !
11,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It came yesterday. I have it set up. Yeah the priming arm is different. I lost the e-clip for the pin. It went flying when i tried to put it on. It came with 2 spare press nuts. But yeah the handle assy is a little sloppy. I have a black carpet in the loading room. I'll find it when i vaccume the floor. I use a shop vac.

Reactions: Philmo11
1 - 13 of 13 Posts