National Gun Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am interested in buying a gun for concealed carry. I already have my permit and i have been researching a few different models but i would like the opinion of some actual gun owners. I am 5'7" and weigh about 200lbs but carry it well. I would prefer a small (no full size) semi auto in at least 40 caliber but i am open to small frame revolvers rated for .38 special +p or higher up to $600. The models i have been looking at are:

1) XD 40 Subcompact- comes with a lot of extras, 12 rd mag w/ extender nice feature, i have a friend that has a full size and i love the way it shoots and i like the feel of the gun.

2) Smith and Wesson M&P40c- I don't know too much other than its made in the US comes with a lifetime warranty and is a little pricier.

3)Taurus Millennium Pro 40 caliber- cheapest msrp of the group, nice safety features but mixed reviews, not sure how the straight eight sights are either.

4) Walther PPS .40cal- feels nice in my hand, thin.. I don't know much else about it.

5) any other reasonable options under $600

thanks in advance for your input!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I just bought the Taurus Millenuim Pro .40caliber and I love it. It is extremely easy to conceal, the weight feels great to me, and it seems like a nicely built and reliable gun. I wear it in an in the pants holster and usually "forget" I have it. That's just my two cents.

·
Pro Gun Advocate
10,940 Posts
If you aleardy know that you shoot the XD 40 well, it seems your decision has been made.

Unless there's a known quality issue, shooting the gun well is what matters most.

No one else has your hands.

·
Concerned Patriot
398 Posts
I love me XD and my other polymer guns but nothing compares to a Springfield 1911. Mines currently on order and gets picked up next month.

·
The 500 S&W stare...
10,304 Posts
I agree with Gloc27Bill. The XD is a great gun and if it shoots good for you then I would say you have a winner. The only other suggestion I might make is to take a look at the CW series from Kahr. Quality guns, comfortable grips, great triggers and in your price range. They are worth a look.

·
Registered
785 Posts
I agree with Gloc27Bill. The XD is a great gun and if it shoots good for you then I would say you have a winner. The only other suggestion I might make is to take a look at the CW series from Kahr. Quality guns, comfortable grips, great triggers and in your price range. They are worth a look.
+1. If you are comfortable with the XD and it shoots good for you, then that is your answer. I have the Kahr CW in 9mm and find it to be a great gun. It is accurate and conceals well IWB or in the pocket.

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
57,000 Posts
Get thee to a range where these pistols can be rented. Shoot them. The one that feels the best to you will be the best for you.

My, or anyone else's, opinion on what you pistol should purchase means nothing.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Look for a used Glock. You might be able to find one in your price range.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
For a self defense gun, the make and caliber are secondary considerations to your comfort level and ability to shoot the pistol. Try several different weapons, and the decision will likely be made for you. For me, I love GLOCKS, and a G23 would fit your description above, and cost less than $600.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.