National Gun Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. A little pretense:
I'll be starting a new job quite soon as a key-holder at an understaffed smoke shop. Due to these two things I will be by myself on closing shift every day I work, and won't leave until after midnight. Our store is quite new and while installation is being planned, we don't yet have security cameras. That all can make closing shift feel a bit sketchy, and the owner of our store is completely okay with his employees carrying while on shift. (I believe he is CCW on every shift)

The only handgun I own is a .22WMR revolver with a 6.5" barrel. I do have plans to purchase a proper 9mm in the very near future, but money will be too tight for the next month or two.
Being the gun it is, there really aren't any comfortable (or safe, for that matter) ways to conceal it in my waistband, and the only holster I have is a RH leather thumb-break. With the way our store is designed I have no need to ever come around the counter, and it is high enough to obscure my waist if you're not right up against it.

All that being said, I'm stuck on my decision to wear it on my side openly, or wear it holstered SoB with a jacket long enough to mostly cover it. (It's always chilly inside, so a jacket wouldn't look out of place.) Unfortunately, even with a jacket and a high counter, about 1/2" to 1" of the holster would still be visible if I turned around to grab something from the shelf.

With the novel out of the way, which would you guys suggest? If part of it will be visible under certain circumstances, is there any point in trying to conceal it in the first place? Or is mostly concealed still better than open carry for a late-night solo shift such as that? I know it's a pretty heavily debated topic so I'm interested to hear all of your opinions on it.

(Also, I'm very aware of the power deficit of a .22 compared to pretty much all other types of ammo, bashing me for it really won't be helpful. I'm of the belief that something is better than nothing.)

·
Registered
117 Posts
Perhaps have the owner get a 9mm for under the counter for the time being. When your financial situations permits you can buy it from him for a personal CCW.

·
Jesus Saves
8,055 Posts
If all I had was a 22 revolver, I'd most likely hide it.

How am I allowed to carry (state law) would be my first concern.

·
Registered
6,651 Posts
a vest..........camera vest, safari vest, concealed carry vest, etc, etc........attach holster to inside of vest or use a shoulder rig with sleeveless vest as a covering garment.....hundreds of choices of vests and shoulder rigs on amazon and other places in all colors and sizes.

that is about the only way i would consider concealing a 6+ inch barrel revolver.

Reactions: HammerSnow

·
Registered
6,651 Posts

·
Registered
6,651 Posts
other method would be a fanny pack.....but it would be a huge one for that 6.5"

·
Registered
8,370 Posts
Carry it the way you can draw it fastest and reliably. If one method is better than the other use it, even if it means it is visible.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Carry it the way you can draw it fastest and reliably. If one method is better than the other use it, even if it means it is visible.
I agree. A lot would depend on the type of revolver and size.
I sometimes carry a .22 mag SA Ruger when I walk the dog late at night. Sometimes 2, 1 with snakeshot. One is right side 4 oclock butt forward, with my joints it is the only way I can draw from that side. The other is crossdraw. Both in custom made holsters especially for me.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,580 Posts
Hi all. A little pretense:
My question would be do you know the meaning of the word PRETENSE?

Let's ask Merriam-Webster:

Definition of pretense

1: a claim made or impliedespecially : one not supported by fact
2a: mere ostentation : PRETENTIOUSNESSconfuse dignity with pomposity and pretense— Bennett Cerf
b: a pretentious act or assertion
3: an inadequate or insincere attempt to attain a certain condition or quality
4: professed rather than real intention or purpose : PRETEXTwas there under false pretenses
5: MAKE-BELIEVE, FICTION
6: false show : SIMULATIONsaw through his pretense of indifference

Some might jump to the conclusion that there's a little pretense going on.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Thank you all for the replies! Funny enough, last night my father surprise gifted me a little Taurus PT738 🙃, so my "which way to carry" concerns have melted away (along with the caliber and fire rate concerns as well). But I do appreciate the useful input, and I don't consider this thread pointless! I will still end up using the advice you all shared since there will be times it'd make more sense to have the .22 (such as when I go dispersed camping. (I actually have a planned trip to the desert coming up in a month or so)). It was interesting hearing your opinions on the matter!

Also, to you, fixitfred. I definitely mixed up "pretense" with "initial context." I made the post at 2am. Cut me some slack, man😅

·
Jesus Saves
8,055 Posts
^^^ I'm not an expert on any gun or ammo - that said....
I have read that most who carry the .380 will recommend not using hollow point ammo for self defense. It seems penetration is better with FMJ versus the hollow point.

Just adding to the thread.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I am not a proponent of citizen open carry for a whole host of reasons. If I were a store clerk intending to carry a handgun on my person while working( and lawfully authorized to do so), I would probably wear a smock, company vest, apron or something similar in appearance to help conceal the weapon. You have some unique issues due to the type and style of weapon you plan to use. Honestly, I would purchase something more practical. That may not be an instantaneous affair but I would work toward that end.

supplement: I see you have obtained a different weapon .. good job.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts