National Gun Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I like to run a lot at night, I was once attacked so I was thinking about buying a nice rifle, would it be legal for me to wear it on my back while running/jogging?
I live in Florida
First post, sorry about being a newbie

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
No!

Sent from the Fortress of Solitude.

·
Cynical Millennial
915 Posts
So I like to run a lot at night, I was once attacked so I was thinking about buying a nice rifle, would it be legal for me to wear it on my back while running/jogging?
I live in Florida
First post, sorry about being a newbie
Don't just don't.

Rifles are a HORRIBLE open carry defense weapon and a worse defensive weapon in an urban environment due to how close everything is together, You will scare the **** out of everyone especially after Orlando, And if your dumb enough to use it a round could go flying off through a building and blow some old granny's ass off a half mile away, This in addition to the fact it's illegal as hell to open carry in Florida.

If your worried about being attacked get a concealed carry permit and a hand gun such as a 9mm, .380, .38 or similar I would also carry a low recoil defensive round preferably frangible or hollow point so there is less chance of over penatration or punching holes through buildings of you miss and thus less liability issues.

Lastly any responseable gun owner who plans to CC is going to take some CC and pistol 101 classes so they won't be a danger to others, I would also recommend sticking to mace or to A mace until you learn more about both firearms and the laws surrounding them and then get some practice in with one, Anything else is just irresponsible and stupid.

·
Registered
8,087 Posts
Welcome aboard.
Arctic made some very good points. The best concealed that I can think of for a runner is a two shot .410 ga derringer, or a 'Judge' revolver. Light compact, range about 35 yds. Load it with #4 bird shot and you are good to go in a close contact confrontation. Nobody wants to get shot with anything, at close range a .410 packs similar wallop to a ,45 colt. If the target is outside the accepted 35 yd. shotgun range you have other options. Any weapon that is effective outside that range is a hazard to innocent victims. You are civilly and criminally liable for every round you fire. Believe me if you can avoid using a firearm to defend yourself you are way ahead of the game. I am not telling you to get robbed, injured, or killed by some predator.
Deadly force is always a last resort.
What ever you decide to do start with NRA gun safety classes. Before you even pick up a gun at a shooting range. Nothing scares a range safety officer more than a newbie with a loaded gun.
Then sign up for a CCW class where they will go over the various laws related to use of deadly force.
Rent several different firearms at your local shooting range before you buy anything. After you purchase a firearm comes the fun part. Practice, practice, and then practice some more. Marksmanship is not for sale at the 'Gun Gadgets' counter. You buy it at the ammunition and target counter.
I hope this helps. Welcome to the world of gun smoke and grumpy old men.

·
Registered
19,488 Posts
Why not? Be a man! But, you might want to consider carrying it at a "port-arms" position. So much easier to try and convince the police you are a "Reservist-in-training" when they draw down on you.

Keep us informed..........

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Why not? Be a man! But, you might want to consider carrying it at a "port-arms" position. So much easier to try and convince the police you are a "Reservist-in-training" when they draw down on you.

Keep us informed..........
I'm pretty sure you smell troll as well?

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
54,933 Posts
Greetings and Salutations

For the above mentioned problems, legal and otherwise, don't do it. Stop considering it.

Reactions: Red Horse

·
Registered
7,709 Posts
It's interesting how the 'open carry rifle' movement has just dwindled away, after maybe a year of grabbing headlines. The 'open carry rifle' guys probably got to thinking that someone would shoot them because they looked like terrorists on the way to a mass assassination. That would be a reasonable concern. People with Airsofts get blown away all the time.

·
Registered
19,488 Posts
"People with Airsofts get blown away all the time."

Not all the time. I've let a few of 'em slide by.......................mainly the ones running while holding their dogs ....................

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Careful. You don't want to get accused of carrying a tactipoo.

Sent from the Fortress of Solitude.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts