National Gun Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what people here think about open carry (where legal, of course). So, I'm sure everyone has some sort of opinion when it comes to this. Post 'em up!

Me? I think it is great. I haven't done TOO much of it, but I plan to do more open carrying in the future.

More info? http://www.opencarry.org

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Baldy said:
I am for the right to open carry but on a personal bases I prefer to carry concealed. I like having the element of surprise on my side. :shock:
I understand completely. Someone once said (Jefferson?) that "a right unexercised is a right lost"....or somthing like that...

Somone's gotta keep the flame burning... :D

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i do both. it really depends on the weather and what im doing. but if your going to open carry id take a class in weapon retention. and get a holster that has some type of manual tention so its not so snatch prone

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
leeindy said:
i do both. it really depends on the weather and what im doing. but if your going to open carry id take a class in weapon retention. and get a holster that has some type of manual tention so its not so snatch prone
I agree! Great advice...

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
you can read about it but there is no substitute for good training

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I like for other people to open carry, so the public can see that guns are not evil, and do not equate with violence.

Personally, I would never carry open. I believe it should be like body armor, the thug never knows you have it on until you get back up and pump him full of lead. Same with a sidearm, I want it to be a surprise.

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
tactical advantage of concealed is debateable

open is faster by function.

depends on your toss up

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Open carry is NOT my cup of tea even though I realize it's legal here and in many other states. There's an old saying that says you should never frighten the children nor scare the horses. Unfortunately, it's hard today to open carry in a crowded area without SOMEBODY becoming unnecessarily alarmed. Be forewarned: You CAN try to prove your point by carrying openly in public and then end up spending a lot of your valuable time trying to convince the local constabulary that you meant no harm.

Despite my previously stated concerns, I do, however, support the right to open carry by any able-bodied and level-headed adult citizen who chooses to do so.

I hope it's not a NO-NO here to give a link to another forum, but here goes...

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
you cant do that....... just kidding how do you think most of us got here.

ive spent a bit of time on opencarry too. descent site. branched off packing.org when it went to hell

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
leeindy said:
tactical advantage of concealed is debateable

open is faster by function.

depends on your toss up
Definitely a toss up......

It all boils down to, as Lee stated earlier, TRAINING!

·
Registered
652 Posts
We have open carry here in AZ and that's the way I do it. And there are many here in AZ that do so.
I like it personally. No permits to hassle with as in other states I have been in.
OK so you give up a little edge in that they know you are armed, so what?
I carry almost all of the time here in AZ. The only people that ever seem to get excited about it is a snowbird during the winter months here.
I even carry into my bank and nobody has ever said a word.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
keninaz said:
We have open carry here in AZ and that's the way I do it. And there are many here in AZ that do so.
I like it personally. No permits to hassle with as in other states I have been in.
OK so you give up a little edge in that they know you are armed, so what?
I carry almost all of the time here in AZ. The only people that ever seem to get excited about it is a snowbird during the winter months here.
I even carry into my bank and nobody has ever said a word.
Sounds a lot like VA...

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Even though it is legal to carry open here in Nevada there are places that I wouldn't do it depending on the city your in and the location your going to. Just because it's legal to do doesn't mean you won't stopped by the cops, I'd rather play it safe and not get stopped.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I open carry on occasion and really, most people just don't even notice. I've never had anyone say anything at all.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Open carry is legal in most places in New Mexico. However, when I did it, if felt like I had a
bullseye on my back. So I obtained a concealled carry license and now the bullseye is
gone. :D

·
Registered
17 Posts
I open carry here in KY. and do not have my CCDW yet.. Which i believe is a bit of an advantage for me personally for the simple fact of 98% of my practice and training has been with my pistol open on my side or in a drop leg holster.. Though my wife and I are going to be getting our CCDW's together next month in which case I believe I will conceal often, though only time will tell which i prefer

·
Registered
677 Posts
Open carry is legal here in Indiana. There is a group here that goes out of their way to open carry in order to "prevent a right from being lost", or to "educate" the public. I've got news for ya.... they held an "open carry in" in downtown Indianapolis a year or two ago, to "educate the public". Well, parents were hustling their kids out of the area, and crossing the street to avoid the "educators". That's not the way to educate anyone, on the 2nd Amendment, and modes of carry.

"Prevent a right from being lost" ?. Had one of those frightened mothers been the wife/daughter of an Indiana legislator, we could be on the defensive, and once again, even though legal, have to defend the actions of some gun owners. You teach very few folks anything, by way of a mass "indoctrination". You make much more of a favorable impression to carry openly by your self, calmly, and politely, than you will as part of a "look what I can do" crowd.

Just my two cents, of course.

Reactions: DPM and Popeye

·
1911 addict
1,040 Posts
I am for the right to open carry but on a personal bases I prefer to carry concealed. I like having the element of surprise on my side. :shock:
2:thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
I support open carry in Texas. If it passes I'd open carry occasionally. I don't believe drawing a gun from an OC holster is necessarily quicker. Too much depends on the skill level of the shooter. It would be handy, especially in the late fall and winter. In urban Texas I'd never do it, in rural areas and smaller towns and cities I think it will be accepted quickly.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts