National Gun Forum banner

21 - 40 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts

At least that's the way I see it, maybe things will calm down after a few months, but hey, there are so many busybodys now, people who will call 911 if they see kids riding in a car without seat belts and so on.

What say you?
I say, Texas will have about the same adjustments as did Oklahoma. The Texas OC law was based on OK's law. The OKies have done ok. :wink:

I've carried since receiving my Texas license in 2013. I conceal when not on my own property. Since I started carrying, I've carried openly when visiting OK, CO, NM and AZ. No issues, now incidents. I am confident that Texans will be able to adjust at least as well as Okies. :wink:

O. Lee James, III
CPT, US Army Retired (cannons and Pershing missile)

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I got my first concealed carry license when George Bush was governor of Texas. I think everything will be OK if there are enough announcements in the media.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Thanks for the feedback. I'm hoping that it will all go smoothly as you guys predict.

As I said, my only concern is that activist anti-gunners will try to start trouble by making a big scene.

·
Registered
65 Posts
They'll do the same thing that all the other states do that currently have open carry. Personally, I disagree with having to have any sort of license to carry a gun. It is an infringement. But legislators and legislatures rarely ask me my opinion on that or any other subject, in fact they have never asked me, and when I have offered my unsolicited opinion, I doubt they give it any further thought.

For those waiting for the bloodbath following 1/1/16, you're probably going to be disappointed. People will get used to the idea sooner than expected.

Most OCers will not be doing so conspicuously. They will probably be carrying in a concealed manner but with likely a bit more access than completely concealed. There will of course be those with a Buntline Special in a tie down rig going to Starbucks for a latte.

Alan
Kansas does not require a permit for open or concealed carry. If you can legally own a firearm, you can carry it any way you want...no permission slip required.

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
53,706 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. I'm hoping that it will all go smoothly as you guys predict.

As I said, my only concern is that activist anti-gunners will try to start trouble by making a big scene.
Ever hear of "SWATing"? They're already doing it.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Ever hear of "SWATing"? They're already doing it.
Oh, I know. I realize that the everyday ordinary but non-gun citizens may be upset at first but they'll get used to it fast.

It's the antigun jerks whom I think may intentionally cause those types of problems -- but as our Tx deputy said, they've already discussed this and I'm hoping that the 911 staffers are properly briefed on how to help sort out the sham calls from the real ones. But as I see it, the sham callers need to be prosecuted and maybe that will hush them up.

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
i find this article interesting..........from the point of anticipated increase in gun sales to actual State instruction about some sort of retention on the holsters......

New open carry law leads to backlog of license applications | News - Home

i think such will create another mini boom in gun sales. Back when CHL started, seems that a lot of folks bought mid-size to full size handguns with the idea of carrying concealed........and a lot of them promptly after a short while bought smaller guns.

Now there may be a whole new group this generation that have small pocket guns but may be going to buy larger guns simply because they can open carry. on occasion should they want. Believe that the big winner in all this is going to be producers of the 1911. and the leather makers.

and honestly, i do think "pride in fashion"......as opposed to showing off.......is going to have something to do with it.

Not to sound vain........but i hope those that OC, will dress smart, look smart, and come across professional. In a sense they are representing gun carriers and the 2A by mere appearance......and will have an immediate impact as to whether that appearance is positive or negative.. And when the 6 o'clock news comes on, i would rather the public sees a story about a smart dressed feller with new wranglers jeans and a George Strait dress shirt with good leather than see someone dressed in black BDU's with a tactical thigh nylon holster wearing their Wiley X shooting glasses while shopping in wally-world..

simple appearance can effect future legislation as well as places/business that allows or prohibits open carry.

its profiling...............and i think the public will be the ones doing it. You can be dang sure the media is going to ............

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
Our sheriff was recently asked about the "SWATing" issue. He advised that anyone calling in a complaint will have their name and number taken. He/she will then be advised that OC is now legal in Texas, and asked what activity by the carrier is prompting the call. If the caller wants to press the issue, the complaint will be checked by a county deputy. If the complaint is invalid, the caller will be contacted and advised that future invalid complaints will result in the caller being cited for making a false report and fined. Multiple invalid complaints will result in further legal consequences. Not sure how Houston and Harris County LEOs will handle the problem, but most of the local communities have already come out with statements similar to our Sheriff's.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Thanks budroe for the info -- sounds good and hopefully this OC thing won't cause headaches for the LEOs and 911 staff. Headaches for the anti-gun crowd are just fine with me.

And deputy, your statement about OC in style made me laugh, Yeah, I hope this won't bring out the mall ninjas but I suspect it will. Oh well.

·
Registered
292 Posts
What Budroe said above, but this info should be publicized via TV,radio, newspapers, etc., repeatedly so everyone is aware of new law.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I'm hoping that the media does a decent job letting folks know about OC -- the average citizen is very likely to not know but the average citizen is clueless anyway, with the media just a small step behind (or ahead). Sometimes I think we're surrounded by morons. Or Democrats, the two being equal, or so my Dad taught me, ha ha

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm hoping that the media does a decent job letting folks know about OC -- the average citizen is very likely to not know but the average citizen is clueless anyway, with the media just a small step behind (or ahead). Sometimes I think we're surrounded by morons. Or Democrats, the two being equal, or so my Dad taught me, ha ha
Google 'Texas open carry' and use Search Tools to select Past month. You'll see that the media, business organizations, lawyers, and law enforcement are already busy spreading the word.

I've posted some of the links here:
Texans Respond to License to Carry - TexasCHLforum.com

O. Lee James, III
CPT, US Army Retired (cannons and Pershing missile)

·
Registered
14 Posts
i like the idea of open carry because i weat t shirts most of the time and they will ride up over the grips and expose my inside the belt gun.
now i wont have to always be careful if my gun is exposed or not and i will be able to more comfortably carry,either way.
OP is great some time,and the option should be there.
i believe people will get use to seeing it and start to ignore it after a short period.
especiall if the 911 operators tell the callers it is legal to OP,and the education of the public sinks in.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
With the latest terrorist attacks, I'm now wondering how average people may react if they see "middle-eastern" young men carrying openly.

·
Registered
14 Posts
as long as it stays in the holster they will just be another ccl holder.
personally i think non citizens,legal or not,should not be allowed to cary weapons.
but then i believe the Constitution should only pertain to citizens.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Agree that only citizens should be allowed to carry, open or concealed. Sorry, immigrants, that's one of the perks you get when you EARN your citizenship, like voting.

And yeah, a young "middle eastern" guy open carrying is of course legal if he's got a permit in Texas. But I'm still wondering about ordinary suspicions citizens -- we're supposed to be extra alert, after all -- who may overreact to such a thing. I dunno.

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
53,706 Posts
Immigrants to the US have long been allowed to carry.

Except for at certain times and in certain locales... Blacks, Chinese, Poles, Irish, etc. Basically, anywhere they were perceived as a threat to the status quo by those who thought they had something to lose.

21 - 40 of 115 Posts