National Gun Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Iron Maiden
8,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I believe this is the group that our Glock27Bill belongs to.

Good for you, Guys! I wish there was a group like that around here.............

·
Angry Citizen
1,521 Posts
That was fantastic!

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
That was fantastic

·
Just Some Dude...
1,142 Posts
That is great...

The only issue is the harassment that comes along with open carry. I myself, technically open carry everyday... though I have a conceal license. For me open carry is just more comfortable... and usually suites my attire better.

I once spoke with an ADA here in Michigan regarding open carry, and it's legality... I received the most confusing answer I'd ever heard.

Is Open Carry Legal in Michigan?
The response I got...

"Open carry is legal... though you can be, and are likely, to be arrested, and charged for it... you cannot be prosecuted in a court of law, due to the state's Preemption Law"

WTF does that mean? - You have to love politics!

·
Just Some Dude...
1,142 Posts
Gun Geek said:
Anyone else in Tennessee lets start another one. LOL
I'd be willing to bet there is some form of open carry club in TN.
Check out the forums over at opencarry.org

·
Pro Gun Advocate
10,940 Posts
SheNine said:
I believe this is the group that our Glock27Bill belongs to.

Good for you, Guys! I wish there was a group like that around here.............

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmZic2VFGyI
Yeh, that was us, though I wasn't there (over 100 miles away).

On the other hand, we recently had an issue with the LEOs in my county (Fairfax).

A North Carolina resident was pulled for running a red light, and was cc'ing. He notified the police (a requirement in NC, but not in VA).

Next thing he knows, there is backup (including a Sargeant), he is in cuffs and is charged with various felonies: carrying hollow point bullets, illegally transporting a weapon across state lines, and having a concealed weapon as a non-resident.

They hauled him before the magistreate, who informed the police:

(1) hollow point bullets are NOT illegal (only teflon coated ones are, and even then only if used in a crime);
(2) carrying a weapon across state lines is not an issue;
(3) VA and NC have reciprocity, he was perfectly legal in conceal carrying.

The NC guy has filed a complaint, the LEO still charged him with running the red light...more to come as event unfold.

We thought we had helped the police educate themselves on the law, but we thought wrong.

·
Iron Maiden
8,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Glock27Bill said:
A North Carolina resident was pulled for running a red light, and was cc'ing. He notified the police (a requirement in NC, but not in VA).

Next thing he knows, there is backup (including a Sargeant), he is in cuffs and is charged with various felonies: carrying hollow point bullets, illegally transporting a weapon across state lines, and having a concealed weapon as a non-resident.

They hauled him before the magistreate, who informed the police:

(1) hollow point bullets are NOT illegal (only teflon coated ones are, and even then only if used in a crime);
(2) carrying a weapon across state lines is not an issue;
(3) VA and NC have reciprocity, he was perfectly legal in conceal carrying.

The NC guy has filed a complaint, the LEO still charged him with running the red light...more to come as event unfold.

We thought we had helped the police educate themselves on the law, but we thought wrong.

So much for freedom when the cops don't even know the law! :roll:

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
What you will find is that the liberal politicians that are in powerful positions will ignore the law if it does not agree with their agenda and harass citizens that open carry. Their hope is that the harassment will discourage folks from open carrying in their towns.

The only way to defeat this type of behavior is to file harassment lawsuits and do the group open carry activities that produces strength through numbers.

I hope this movement spreads all across America! :D

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
Glock27Bill said:

Maybe a Civil Rights lawsuit and a six-digit settlement will help them along with updating their training plan. Don't know what they call that in VA, but here in flyover country they call it false arrest, unlawful detention, even kidnapping. LEOs can detain a person for breaking some laws. If no law is broken and the LEO detains a citizen because doesn't know his job or his limitations, he and his department are liable. If there was a Sergeant there, it is further proof that the department's training plan is inadequate. Civil Rights are not limited to specific segments of society.

·
Pro Gun Advocate
10,940 Posts
gunrnr said:
Glock27Bill said:

Maybe a Civil Rights lawsuit and a six-digit settlement will help them along with updating their training plan. Don't know what they call that in VA, but here in flyover country they call it false arrest, unlawful detention, even kidnapping. LEOs can detain a person for breaking some laws. If no law is broken and the LEO detains a citizen because doesn't know his job or his limitations, he and his department are liable. If there was a Sergeant there, it is further proof that the department's training plan is inadequate. Civil Rights are not limited to specific segments of society.
We have had a few lawsuits in Virginia because of this stuff.

I posted elsewhere a while ago about a member open carrying at a Norfolk Days event. He was arrested, his wife was threatened when she attempted to film the incident (they had their kids there, they threatened to arrest her, too and would not let her get the car keys from her husband, told her "your kids will be in protective custody), the member had a war injury to his shoulder and so informed the police, they tightened the cuffs tighter and said "They aren't meant to be comfortable." :eek:

Basically the city claims that because they leased public property to a private party, the private party can set the rules...Alexandria had tried the same crap with the Red Cross as the leasee, we have yet to test it.

(1) this line of reasoning is false
(2) evenif it were not false the greatest charge available is merely trespassing if he would not leave if so requested...no arrestable offense occurred.

Yeh, the lawsuit is in process, he won't lose.

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Glock27Bill said:
gunrnr said:
Glock27Bill said:

We have had a few lawsuits in Virginia because of this stuff.

I posted elsewhere a while ago about a member open carrying at a Norfolk Days event. He was arrested, his wife was threatened when she attempted to film the incident (they had their kids there, they threatened to arrest her, too and would not let her get the car keys from her husband, told her "your kids will be in protective custody), the member had a war injury to his shoulder and so informed the police, they tightened the cuffs tighter and said "They aren't meant to be comfortable." :eek:

Basically the city claims that because they leased public property to a private party, the private party can set the rules...Alexandria had tried the same crap with the Red Cross as the leasee, we have yet to test it.

(1) this line of reasoning is false
(2) evenif it were not false the greatest charge available is merely trespassing if he would not leave if so requested...no arrestable offense occurred.

Yeh, the lawsuit is in process, he won't lose.

I suppose the way to beat this crap is to show up in mass. Will they arrest 10 people, 20 folks, a crowd of 50 gunowners? At what stage will they back off? I am sure they don't want a major media incident over this type of illegial arrest.

The same with the carry laws in college. If 100 students showed up armed, what would happen??

1 - 13 of 13 Posts