National Gun Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anybody have any recommendations for buying firearms or ammo online? good or bad experiences with certain dealers? not looking for anything fancy or collectible, just basic stuff. to start, looking for an xd and ammo for some other stuff.

over

·
Registered
517 Posts
Read every thing the seller has to read. Shipping costs, conditions such as FFL for ammo, etc.
Know your state laws regarding what you are ordering. Some states restrict magazine capacity, types of ammo and types of firearms.
Prior to ordering, find a firearms dealer that will accept delivery of a gun for you.

·
Gun Nut
1,599 Posts
there are alot of good online companies to order ammo from. As for guns there are many to deal with there too. The biggest would be www.gunbroker.com

Again what john said is great advice. Make sure you know the laws in your area to make sure you can have it. And for the gun make sure you have a FFL dealer lined up to accept shipment and transfer to you. Most dealers will charge a fee for this service and prices can vary. Most will charge between $25-$40.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i know about the ffl fees and some of the restrictions (didn't know about the mag cap). now that i'm on the road more, i don't have time to shop locally and end up looking through 100's of websites instead; and of course miss a lot of the gun shows (my favorites). i'm looking for a few sites that tend to stand out among you pros. thanks for the help

over

·
Fomalhaut
223 Posts
impactguns.com almost always consistently has the lowest prices for new guns, and they carry any kind of gun you could want, including class III, and used. they are good to deal with, friendly customer service reps. i'm about to buy another gun from them, still deciding which, but i'm thinking about trying out the para gi expert which is $524 through them for instance. ordering guns online you also don't have to pay taxes, as long as it's from out of state.

buying ammo online i like natchezss.com and tds-us.com.... as far as jhp rounds nobody can beat tds-us.com. they carry all the popular ones like rangers, talons, golden sabers, gold dots, hst, hydrashok... and for 9mm for instance, most of them are $20-$25 for a box of 50 not 20 like most places. .45acp is a few dollars more than 9mm. the only complaint with tds is they don't necessarily keep things in stock consistently because they sell extra leo/military ammo. they have regular fmj ammo too but don't keep as much in as jhp. i've never really checked out their rifle ammo, but i would figure their 5.56/.223 and 7.62 would be priced decently. never had a problem with ordering from them.

natchezss.com typically has pretty good prices and tends to keep things in stock decently. good customer service, never had a problem with them.

honorable mention is midwayusa.com. they are hit and miss with ammo prices, a good one for instance is the sellier and bellot 9mm 115grain fmj being like $13, but sellier and bellot .45 230 grain fmj is $21. they have lots of accessories and things too. they have excellent customer service though.

on a side note... i can't believe how ridiculous the prices of .45 acp has become over the last year... or really probably more like the last 6 months. i used to get it less than $15 a box for fmj at wal-mart and a few dollars more at the lgs, now it's just about all $20+ even for crap like remington umc, and $30+ at my gun stores.... even their winchester white box has gone up several dollars a box. my local gun stores are just plain gouging on ammo lately though, wwb 9mm 115 grain 50 round box for $29.99, sellier and bellot 180 grain 7.62x54r for $39.99/20! and i know there's not a demand for factory 54r ammo.

edit: forgot to mention, looking at my most recent cheaper than dirt catalog... they've become ridiculous in their pricing.

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Slide by the New Members section when you get a second and say "Howdy!".

For buying firearms online, you can check all the auction places such as gunsamerica.com , auctionarms.com and of course, the old standby gunbroker.com. Don't forget to check different gun forums' WTS sections, either. I've blown my allowance more than once, looking at private sales on the S&W, Colt, Ruger, Glock and Sig sites as well as the military guns and foreign guns sites.

Just a word about impactguns.com -- a large part of my business is as a receiving FFL and I deal with all of the biggies. I would not go out of my way to do business with impactguns. Enough said.

If you have any questions about a particular seller, feel free to PM me and I'll let you know whether I've done business with them and how they rate.

For non-firearms gun stuff, i.e., ammo, reloading supplies, everything else: You can't beat Midway and Natchez runs a close second. Midsouth is OK as are several others. I keep Widener's on my "only if my life depends on it" list. Those guys treat you like they're doing you a big favor.

·
Pro Gun Advocate
10,940 Posts
As Baldy says, Bud's gun shop is a good one to deal with. Just be advised that they will tack their merchant fee (3%) onto your bill if you use a credit card.

CDNN is also a good one http://www.cdnninvestments.com/

These guys get TONS of police trade ins. You cannot buy firearms from them online, you have to call in your order. They have a huge calalog available for download http://www.cdnninvestments.com/dowournewcat.html, but handgun prices are only available over the phone.

And just to clarify (since no one has done so yet), when you buy a firearm online, it ship to your FFL, who you see in person to fill out the standard paperwork just as you would if were buying the gun directly from them. Face to face transfer--with its attendant background check--is required.

Secondarily, buying this way means that the cost of shipping applies. A gun shop will have their bulk shipping costs built into their prices, buying a single gun to have sent to you means that this higher, one-off charge is yours to bear.

Always look at total delivered cost, and beware of those who may inflate their shipping charges after they lure you with a low unit price.

And did I mention that the gun ships to your FFL? Don't think that the guy in the brown truck is going to knock on your door and hand you a gun...it don't happen that way.

·
Drunk Supernova
6,002 Posts
I would suggest Bear Industries. Had a great experience with them on my last purchase.

·
Registered
5,538 Posts

·
Fomalhaut
223 Posts
As Baldy says, Bud's gun shop is a good one to deal with. Just be advised that they will tack their merchant fee (3%) onto your bill if you use a credit card.

CDNN is also a good one http://www.cdnninvestments.com/

These guys get TONS of police trade ins. You cannot buy firearms from them online, you have to call in your order. They have a huge calalog available for download http://www.cdnninvestments.com/dowournewcat.html, but handgun prices are only available over the phone.

And just to clarify (since no one has done so yet), when you buy a firearm online, it ship to your FFL, who you see in person to fill out the standard paperwork just as you would if were buying the gun directly from them. Face to face transfer--with its attendant background check--is required.

Secondarily, buying this way means that the cost of shipping applies. A gun shop will have their bulk shipping costs built into their prices, buying a single gun to have sent to you means that this higher, one-off charge is yours to bear.

Always look at total delivered cost, and beware of those who may inflate their shipping charges after they lure you with a low unit price.

And did I mention that the gun ships to your FFL? Don't think that the guy in the brown truck is going to knock on your door and hand you a gun...it don't happen that way.
how do you get a catalog for cdnn? i've seen one at someone's house but at the time didn't realize when i went onto the sight later that they wouldn't even so much as speak about guns over the internet.

the shipping costs are a lot less expensive than the taxes would have been buying in state from my experience... but another thing to look out for is your ffl delaers transfer fee. the pawn shop i have mine sent to only charges $20, but i've seen places ask for like $70 :yikes1:

·
Pro Gun Advocate
10,940 Posts
Here's a link to download it.

http://www.cdnninvestments.com/dowournewcat.html

They come out roughly every quarter.

To get a hard copy you'll need to call them.

800-588-9500

They seem to manage the distribution list pretty well. Mine stopped coming, I guess because I had not purchased anything in a while.

·
Registered
49 Posts
i know a few people that have bought from www.summitgunbroker.com they have some pretty decent prices. used glock 22 2nd gen's for 330. they had some used 870 police wingmasters for 220 a while back. still got some with orange stocks if'n you're looking for a project.

~john

·
5,082 Posts
Good info...thanks to all for links....

We're getting some good folks from TN here....:thumbsup:

·
Registered
89 Posts
I've bought from Budsgunshop.com when I purchased my Sig P226. Wouldn't say it was anything special, but it was a straight forward process and their price was the best at the time. Just made my first purchase from Midway USA (magazine, ammo, cleaning supplies) and it should be here Tues/Weds.

Both seem like good companies in my limited experience.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts