National Gun Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This came off the Shooting Wire this am by e-mail. Place your vote if you agree folks.

Get Out There And VOTE!
Before you scream at the thought of reading another election story exhorting you to support someone’s candidacy for public office, slow down. This is an exhortation to go vote, but not for an elected official – and not for a candidate for public office.

This is an exhortation to get out and vote for one of the most remarkable competitive shooters ever. USA Shooting’s Lones ******, Jr. is a finalist for the Olympian Hall of Fame. There are eighteen finalists, but ******’s really “one of us” – actually he might be the “best one of us.”

He’s seventy years young today, but ******’s shooting career spanned twenty five years. In that time, he competed in three Olympics (Tokyo in 1964, Mexico City in 1968 and Munich in 1975) and won two gold and a silver medal in those. He also qualified for the 1980 Olympic team.

That’s not even the beginning of his achievements. ****** competed in five Pan American games, winning five silver and thirteen gold medals. In his competitive career, he won 111 medals, set 29 world records in international competition – more than any other shooter in the world.

He’s already been recognized as a “Golden Olympian” and a member of the USA Shooting Hall of Fame, but this would be a great recognition for a shooter who’s never sought the limelight.

A retired Army Lieutenant Colonel, ****** spent twenty five years on active duty, including serving two tours of Vietnam.

****** started shooting with his father in Montana. At Montana State College, he was a four-time All-American and enrolled in Army ROTC. He joined the Army in 1960 and after his basic course was assigned to the Army Marksmanship Unit. ****** shot for the USAMU International Rifle Team until 1967. After a tour in Vietnam, he returned to the Marksmanship Unit and shot until 1970. ****** again deployed to Vietnam and served as the officer in charge of the 23rd Infantry Division Sniper School. He then returned to the USAMU in 1972 and stayed until his retirement in 1987.

After he retired from the Army, ****** served as the director of the U.S. Shooting Team until 1992. He now is a member of the USA Shooting Staff as a coach and representative and works as a match director.

"Lones ****** was my role model and the reason I joined the Army," said USAMU International Rifle shooter and 1996 Olympian Lt. Col. Robert E. Harbison. "As a youngster, he inspired me to set high goals and open my eyes to the fact that the Army can help us achieve our goals. I encourage everyone to vote for him."

So do we.

You can vote for ****** by logging onto: http://www.usolympichalloffame.com/ clicking on “Individuals” and selecting Lones ****** from the checkboxes on the right side of the page.

Voting closes on March 28 and the winners will be announced the week of April 14.

As they used to say in Chicago “Vote Early. Vote often.”

1 - 1 of 1 Posts