National Gun Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just resurrected my old Herter's M-81, 2 station, C-press. Purchased back in the '60's when I use to reload for the .244 Remington. I disassembled, cleaned and re-lubed everything. This is one heavy "tank" of steel, let me assure you! My son, a machinist, had to make shell holder adapters for the pistons, which he made out of stainless steel. The available shell holders today have too small a base for this massive press. Today, I'm more interested in reloading for my .357 SP101, to cut down on the range costs! Just bought a set of carbide pistol dies for this cartridge, so I'll be back in the swing of things soon. Shooting today though, isn't what it use to be, that's for sure! Back then we'd reload solely for the accuracy and purpose...today it's all about cost. The accuracy is a side bonus, thankfully! Anyway, I thought you all might be interested in seeing a bit of old "Americana" - Herter's, Inc.:

Here's a shot of the shell holder adapters my son had to make for me:

And a couple of side shots as well:

·
Old School.
11,011 Posts
That's a very good looking old press that I am sure you will enjoy. There's not many of them left so keep her up and running as you can't wear them out. Good luck. :-B-:

·
Pro Gun Advocate
10,940 Posts
There's something special about older tools.

Thanks for posting the pics.

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
That's great, CL -- I'm a big fan of old tools and machines. I take some kidding about it, but I really don't care. Old reloading tools, old guns, old cars and trucks -- I love 'em. Looks like your son set you up for the next 50-60 yrs. YeahBoy!

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
That thing is built like a tank. I would use it. That bad boy looks to be all cast iron. Any idea how much it weighs in at?

·
Galactic Effectuator
525 Posts
Herter's made and marketed a lot of good stuff.

Between the 1968 GCA and political correctness and economics, they dried up and passed on. A very sad happening. However, we now have places like Midway and Dillon and Graf's and so on.

But being an old guy, I miss Herter's. The Herter's catalog was my first grownup wish book.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts