National Gun Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
330 Posts
God wanted him to have that deer. That was an eternity for a doe deer to sit still like that.

Good shot young man.

BTW- You started with, "That a dead muth..." what was that again young feller? :sneaky:

Reactions: Philmo11

·
Premium Member
6,169 Posts
Congratulations young man! Dropped her where she stood. Those 20ga slugs hit hard. Looked like some spine. Who did the gut job?
My son is 31 and is still a bit shy about how to gut the deer but he does a good job at it. Marinate in teriyaki and BBQ those back straps. Don’t over cook them and you’ll be amazed at the flavor. My son has two already with the bow this year and passedup another one Saturday at 12 yards. He wants a buck now. Send some meat to the butcher and get it made into kielbasa and hotdogs.
This was my sons first buck in high school.
7605C3BF-F2FD-497E-9112-57031E72F5D8.jpeg

·
Aim true !
10,550 Posts
Awesome shot. And congrats to your son.

Reactions: Philmo11

·
Registered
875 Posts
Very nice! And no tracking.
Good memories for both of you. Big rack to hang on the wall is nice but I personally prefer does for eating anyway. My area is over populated with them too.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Congratulations young man! Dropped her where she stood. Those 20ga slugs hit hard. Looked like some spine. Who did the gut job?
My son is 31 and is still a bit shy about how to gut the deer but he does a good job at it. Marinate in teriyaki and BBQ those back straps. Don’t over cook them and you’ll be amazed at the flavor. My son has two already with the bow this year and passedup another one Saturday at 12 yards. He wants a buck now. Send some meat to the butcher and get it made into kielbasa and hotdogs.
This was my sons first buck in high school.
View attachment 119020
That’s a nice buck.

We split the gut duty...

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Very nice! And no tracking.
Good memories for both of you. Big rack to hang on the wall is nice but I personally prefer does for eating anyway. My area is over populated with them too.

It’s best to just take what sex presents itself or you may find yourself without. Under normal circumstances we wouldn’t have taken a small doe like that but it was his first. We want them to get bigger. I’m surprised anything was actually out there. Night before, my nephew shot 3 coyotes and we saw another right where we were when we walked up to the stand. Coyotes were thick. As far as size is concerned, she was right in the middle judging by the 30 that were in the meat locker when we dropped it off.

·
Registered
6,324 Posts
you can't eat horns.......that is what i always told my daughter despite her buck fever.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I’m not a big hunter. I can, I just don’t usually. My brother is. I get called a lot to go out and track his kills. Never hurts to brush up once in a while. I need to take him a few more times before the weather gets too cold. I’m not one to sit in a tree in the cold if I don’t have to, that’s the main reason I don’t get wrapped up in it. We have 2 archery tags to use still. Better to get out while the corn is fresh cut and they are running.

·
Registered
875 Posts
I used to hunt regularly. Got a lot of calls to track animals as well. I grew up in the woods and I am better than most of the folks I know.
The last 15 years or so, I usually get several given to me by people that want to hunt but don't need or want the meat. I process my own as well.
I'm not picky about what they bring.
His first deer, regardless of sex or size, especially with Dad along is something he can remember. You too. I'm just glad you got to share it together.
Only one of my 3 goes on my rabbit hunts with me. Watching him the first time was kind of special.
Congrats to both of you.

·
Premium Member
330 Posts
you can't eat horns.......that is what i always told my daughter despite her buck fever.
(emphasis mine)

Halleluiah! +1 deputy

Early in my hunting days, 40 plus years ago, I would only consider taking a doe if/when the state advised deer were at capacity or had an over population condition, which the latter was extremely rare in these parts, however, since feeders and planting plots on private land (or leases) have bee completely legalized here, the deer no longer have to rely only on native mass crop production and the populations are growing.

What's more, deer have no boundary barriers and public land (Nat'l Forests/WMA's) deer populations have benefitted as well.

Simply put, antlers are nice for show and tell, but venison on the table is all the better. ;)

(Post Script: I watched the video again and I still do not believe how long that deer stood there. Again, good job turning around young man.)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts