National Gun Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Elmer Keith vs. Jack O'Connor: Which one was your favorite? I guess this is for old-timers out there!

Jack was the light-fast bullet man, renowned for championing the .270 back when it came out, with I think 125-gr. bullets. He probably single-handedly made that cartridge happen. I like it and have one in BAR, but use it with the heaviest bullets I can find. Why? Because I like Keith's preference for long, heavy bullets that really penetrate instead of light, high-velocity rounds. The old elephant hands in Africa killed huge numbers of pachys with small caliber rifles that most people wouldn't use today for deer, but long, heavy bullets with high sectional density.

I dearly loved reading both of them, still have several of O'Connor's books. I liked reading Jack better - great hunting and shooting writer, none better - although Elmer's writing had a simplicity and directness that was also very appealing and easy to read (though I have read, a nightmare to edit for the magazines. Ballistically, though, I'm a Keith man. (Young whippersnappers, you might want to get ahold of some of those 'olden goldies' books - good books never really get old - just better!

HELPFUL TIP: Tired of paying those high dollar prices for 'used' books?' Check out AbeBooks: http://www.abebooks.com/ - GO ON, I'm not messin wif ya! Take a second and check it out, Bippy!

Anyway, what about it, Keith or O'Connor -OR - O'Connor or Keith?
:cool:

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
I find Keith's work with the 44 special fascinating and like to read his articles.

Thanks for the link I do not own any of their books but Christmas is on the horizon!

·
Registered
179 Posts
Can you imagine, in today's legal climate, someone calling say Smith and Wesson and saying, "Listen, I just took your xxxx cartridge and loaded it way beyond what the book says, and I was wondering if you could work with me on this?"

The lawyers would die of fright.... :i:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Keith - I will never forget an article he wrote about shooting the .44 Remington Magnum in a Smith 6" Model 29 at a target 600 yards away, and hitting it EVERY shot. Not scoped.

I don't think the boys can do it today, with an out of the box .223/5.56 long gun.

I never thought about it before, but Elmer may be the reason I like big bores, with heavy bullets.

I also like to read O'Connor, and he influenced my purchase of the .270s I've owned.

Doug

* edited to correct Model Number

·
Galactic Effectuator
525 Posts
Of the two, I really miss Ol' Crazy Elmer. Everything he said he did, he did; and without a big money sponsor.

He did hit a mule deer at 625 yards, with a six and one-half inch .44 Magnum, in front of witnesses. Just for the record, the Model 27 was never available in .44 Magnum; it has always been in .357 Magnum. The model number for the .44 Magnum was 29 in those days.

Mr. Keith's account of shooting the mule deer is on line somewhere...

http://www.darkcanyon.net/The%2044%20Ma ... Begins.htm

Tells the story in Keith's own words. You are free to believe or not believe as you wish. But Elmer and his family ate that deer.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry, Archie - I knew it was a 29 - just pushed the wrong button. But you did succeed in making me feel stooopid.

Not many are able to do that.

And...I have no doubt of it.

Shore would be a tough kill for a mouse gun.

Doug

1 - 7 of 7 Posts