National Gun Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was passed down an old Smith and Wesson .38 revolver that was supposedly my great uncles providence police revolver. I can not find any info on when it was made when using the serial number. The serial number is 689963 and the number on the yolk is 25 892. Any help in dating this would be of great assistance. I attached some pictures below.

Attachments

· Registered
4,404 Posts
Someone mentioned it before. As much as I dislike referring to other forums on here the Smith & Wesson forum has many members with the reference materials you seek.

· Registered
4,404 Posts
Got a warning D/L maybe dangerous. I suggest using a search engine until you find out the date.
Did you just provide a link then say it may be dangerous? Please vet any links you provide and not link to bogus or dangerous sites.

· Low Speed High Drag
399 Posts
38 M&P (Military and Police) Model of 1905 - 4th Change
Built on the K frame, five screws.
SN 241704 - 700000 are dated 1915-1942

· Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Talked to an expert on the S and W forum. He said the handgun was most likely produced for the British commonwealth for ww2 under the lend lease act. The gun fought in the war and then was repaired and sold back into United States markets. So this may not have been a police gun but a ww2 relic in which only 2k were made in this design. I’m blown away

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.