National Gun Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was passed down an old Smith and Wesson .38 revolver that was supposedly my great uncles providence police revolver. I can not find any info on when it was made when using the serial number. The serial number is 689963 and the number on the yolk is 25 892. Any help in dating this would be of great assistance. I attached some pictures below.

Attachments

·
Aim true !
10,296 Posts
bad link.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was unable to download the pdf on my computer. Would you mind looking up the serial number for me quickly. It would be much appreciated.

·
Aim true !
10,296 Posts
Got a warning D/L maybe dangerous. I suggest using a search engine until you find out the date.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I appreciate that you tried to help. I wish Smith and Wesson would be like other companies and post their Serial numbers. Ive done some more research and I believe the handgun is from 1920-1929.

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
Someone mentioned it before. As much as I dislike referring to other forums on here the Smith & Wesson forum has many members with the reference materials you seek.

·
Aim true !
10,296 Posts
Yeah some companies don't make it easy. Im trying to date a marlin i just got. By the prefix i came up with 1955. But i doubt it's that old. It's like new condition.

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
Got a warning D/L maybe dangerous. I suggest using a search engine until you find out the date.
Did you just provide a link then say it may be dangerous? Please vet any links you provide and not link to bogus or dangerous sites.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I posted in the Smith and Wesson forum. I will repost any info I obtain for those who are curious. To the gentlemen with the marlin I wish you luck in finding info about your firearm. Cheers - GunYankee

·
Aim true !
10,296 Posts
Ok took the link out on my 1st post.

·
Low Speed High Drag
399 Posts
38 M&P (Military and Police) Model of 1905 - 4th Change
Built on the K frame, five screws.
SN 241704 - 700000 are dated 1915-1942

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Talked to an expert on the S and W forum. He said the handgun was most likely produced for the British commonwealth for ww2 under the lend lease act. The gun fought in the war and then was repaired and sold back into United States markets. So this may not have been a police gun but a ww2 relic in which only 2k were made in this design. I’m blown away

1 - 13 of 13 Posts