National Gun Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We found this flint lock musket (rifle?) in my grandfather's closet. Little over 4 ft in length. It was tagged "1747" though the tag has since torn off. Flint sparks when fired. Seems in decent condition. The markings are hard to make out. One might say "Willet".

I'd love to learn more about it. Anyone have any insights? I'm not sure what to look for.

musket full.jpg musket flint lock.jpg musket flint lock cocked.jpg musket top view.jpg

·
Military Rifle Collector
692 Posts
Easy to tell if Musket or rifle. Look down the bore and see if its rifled. If so its a rifle.
Be very careful with this firearm until you are sure it is not loaded. Sounds like your fireing it. It could go off. A lot of old muskets were loaded and left behind the door ready to be shot.
I cant tell you much besides that. Maybe others have more insight into the firearm.

·
Registered
21 Posts
It's British, of the Brown Bess pattern and it has the early "banana shaped lock plate and the early trigger guard, so it's certainly of the 1747 era. It is probably of a 75 caliber or originally was. Musketoon? It's not of the full length "Long Land" pattern with the 46" barrel. Hmmm... I'll look up some references and see if there is a mention of a particular short version of the British Brown Bess. Oh yes, it's most certainly a smoothbore.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Since there's no sign of a lug for a trigger guard swivel, I think that the length of the barrel must be original to the firearm and therefore it might be a Coach Gun or other official modification (shortened barrel) of the Military type Brown Bess Long Land Service Musket. What is the makers name and date if any on the lock plate?

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
I agree of the early pattern British lock and markings. I'm inclined to believe that this gun was shortened up and supplied as a Trade Gun rather than issues as a Musketoon.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Maybe, but look at the trigger guard, there isn't a sign of a sling swivel mount. Maybe it was professionally removed? Beats me. Something that a contractor made from outdated parts?

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Could have had some parts refitted as it was converted to a trade gun. I've seen several of them with differing triggerguards often fancy brass and inlays added to stocks etc.... A lot of those old trade guns were put together from parts stocks. Its not unusual to see them shortened up to carbine length.

·
Registered
21 Posts
It's too bad that the firearm isn't a full length Long Land Pattern musket with the 46" barrel. They are usually priced at and over $20,000.00 Yep, it's an interesting piece!

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
We found this flint lock musket (rifle?) in my grandfather's closet. Little over 4 ft in length. It was tagged "1747" though the tag has since torn off. Flint sparks when fired. Seems in decent condition. The markings are hard to make out. One might say "Willet".

I'd love to learn more about it. Anyone have any insights? I'm not sure what to look for.

View attachment 5847 View attachment 5848 View attachment 5849 View attachment 5850
I have no idea what you have but it is a beauty!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts