National Gun Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have received my great great grandfathers double barrel hammered shotgun. It is extremely old and has been used a lot. I need help finding out who makes it. The gun has the name on the left side of the gun but it is worn almost completely off. it resembles xxxxxxrwandarmsco xxxxxxxxxrmags. It has "Fine stub twist" written on top in between the barrels. It has a picture of what looks like a turkey on the butt of the gun and has Damascus barrels. I can see the swirls on the barrel. it also has 592 and 0 engraved where the barrel breaks down. If anyone could help me with this i would be greatly appreciative because this is a family heirloom thats probably not worth a lot to anyone but me. Thanks,

·
Premium Member
2,253 Posts
That's interesting. My Dad has his Great Grandads Damascus barreld side by side. I haven't seen it for several years. He told me I could have it, but I haven't picked it up yet. I will probably do that on Thanksgiving day.
My Grandmother let me play with it when I was a kid untill the day when I found a box of shells for it. It's a 10 ga. if I remember right. I was about 8 or 10 years old at the time. I took my old shotgun down towards the barn & set down with my back against a tree. Loaded her up, cocked both hammers & brought the gun to my shoulder. Pulled both triggers at once! :yikes1: Damn thing nearly wrapped me around that tree! The smoke was thick, but not as thick as the smoke off my butt when Granny got ahold of me! :crazy: There is also a single shot 16 ga. (i think) that loads from the rear by lowering a block with the trigger guard maybe. I'll pick it up the same day & get some pictures.

·
Premium Member
2,253 Posts
Here is that old double barrel from my youth. I belonged to my Great Grandfather. It's the one I shot (once) when I was a kid.
It is a John Conover 10 ga. stamped "Twist Belgium" on top between the barrels. There is a four digit S/N beging with 5. Sometime since the last time I saw it & yesterday the stock was broken. I don't know what to do about it, except maybe build a replacement. I haven't been able to find much about John Conover shotguns yet.

This is another shotgun that belonged to Great Grandad. This one was built by Hopkins & Allen Arms Co.,Norwich Conn USA. It is a lowering block, the trigger guard is the lever. I'm not sure of the guage. I could be a 10ga. I never got the chance to fire this one. Grandma put a end to my shotgun shooting shortly after the double barrel went off!

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
54,575 Posts
Your side by side shotgun has Damascus barrels and is unsafe to shoot using modern ammunition. It is possible that it is also unsafe to fire using blackpowder ammunition. It is best reserved for wallhanger status.

·
Premium Member
2,253 Posts
Yeah, Popeye, I know that. Not planing on shooting either one of these. I would like to know something when they were made & spruce em' up a little for display.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts