National Gun Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a little stumped on this one in part due to its condition. I was recently out in Arizona SW of the Grand Canyon prospecting for gold when I cam across this old 6 shooter revolver. This was found buried in a dry wash while metal detecting and I recently completed electrolysis to clean off the surface rust without damaging it. However, I still have no clue to the make or model as I would be interested in learning more about its history. Here are a few pictures. I have not found any writings and makers marks due to the condition. Thanks for your help!

Revolver #2.jpg Revolver #3.jpg Revolver #4.jpg Revolver #1.jpg

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
53,782 Posts
I may be wrong but I don't think so.

If I am wrong, someone will be by in a day or two to correct me.

·
Super Moderator
14,177 Posts
Was it loaded?

Alan

·
Super Moderator
14,177 Posts
I guess it's cause that's always the first thing I check.

I would expect that it would have live and/or spent cartridges in it. If it was empty then that makes it even more interesting as to how it got there.

Alan

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No rounds or spent shells were in there. In fact the handle was bent towards the barrel. Not sure how or why.

·
Super Moderator
14,177 Posts
Hmmmmm? The absence of parts could be explain it as being a junker that was damaged, stripped and thrown away, but leaving the cylinder and cylinder pin in after stripping it doesn't support that theory (or the barrel for that matter).

Alan

·
Super Moderator
14,177 Posts
It could have found its way there any time from around 1878 to the present day. Knowing the caliber or cartridge may narrow its identity a bit. Not much but a little. The degree of corrosion seems to indicate that it had been in that place for a long time.

Maybe some old prospector found so much gold he couldn't haul it all and the pistol out too!!!

Very interesting find you have there.

Alan

1 - 13 of 13 Posts