National Gun Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey y'all! I'm new here just made an account got a question I can't really find an answer to. I hope y'all can help out.

I've been getting into duck hunting recently and I've been using my dad's Remington 1100 Magnum. I was wondering is it okay to shoot Federal Black Clouds through this gun. On the right side of the barrel it says "FULL" and "AAS8". I'm not sure if it's okay to shoot steel shot through this gun. I'm not totally sure when it was made I think my dad may have bought it used in the late 80s or 90s?

If I can't shoot steel through this gun then what else can I use?

Thanks,
Jacob.

·
Aim true !
10,262 Posts
If it was my gun i would use lead shot. I would think repeated use of steel shot would wear the barrel faster,

·
Aim true !
10,262 Posts
Oh then i guess you have no choice then. I'll have to look into Pa's regs on that then.

Reactions: mjcmichigan

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
See so I don’t understand what I’m supposed to do. Buy a new barrel or gun just to hunt with? I’m certainly not willing to shoot steel through it for a prolonged period of time and ruin the barrel. I’ve cleaned the barrel and it looks pretty much pristine and reflective on the inside.

·
Banned
8,370 Posts
Lead has been outlawed for waterfowl for decades.
I would not shoot steel through any Full choke. Most advise IC or Mod at the tightest. Since steel does not compress like soft lead, you run the risk of bulging your barrel, or worse.

Buy another barrel with the Rem Choke system and go hunting.

·
Premium Member
5,897 Posts
Steel is usually ok to shoot in modern guns. That being said, it will water on the barrel a bit more. Full choke isn’t the best choke for steel. It has too tight a restriction and creates blown patterns. Modified is the better choke. If you’re shooting ducks with #4 or smaller you should be fine but you should pattern the gun to see what kind of pattern you’re getting.
All waterfowl can only be hunted with non toxic shot. That’s a federal law. There are other types of shot such as Bismuth, tungsten/ steel mix.

·
Banned
8,370 Posts
When you price tungsten or bismuth, a new barrel with chokes to shoot steel would be cheaper; otherwise, send the barrel to a gunsmith and have them install choke tubes in it.

·
Registered
579 Posts
See so I don’t understand what I’m supposed to do. Buy a new barrel or gun just to hunt with? I’m certainly not willing to shoot steel through it for a prolonged period of time and ruin the barrel. I’ve cleaned the barrel and it looks pretty much pristine and reflective on the inside.
Just contact Remington and ask.

·
Registered
13,199 Posts
Just look for a new or used barrel that has choke tubes. You could also just get a new gun too.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Beautiful gun. A second barrel with a choke system will put a high quality and functional shotgun in you hands, on ducks affordably. Don’t be fooled. The barrel quality will matter, and you’ll spend more on shot than you will on the barrel if you use it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
696 Posts
Remington, Midway USA or Numrich should have replacement barrels for it. Have the serial number handy. Sometimes date of manufacture makes a difference.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
53,927 Posts
Using steel shot in that barrel will not 'ruin' the barrel. It will blow the choke out from Full to Modified, This is not nessarially a good thing. I would not use steel shot in it. A different barrel, one that accepts screw in choke tubes, is an option.

The ban on using lead shot for waterfowl is a federal law. State laws matter not.

One reason bismuth shot is expensive is beacuse it, of all alternative shot choices, most closely duplicates the performance of lead shot, both on equipment and on game. I use it in all my 'classic' shotguns. It proves worthwhile to save up and purchase it in case lots as discounts can be negotiated at that level.

Reactions: mjcmichigan

·
Super Moderator
11,345 Posts
Can you even buy shells with lead shot any more?

--Wag--

·
Banned
8,370 Posts
Can you even buy shells with lead shot any more?

--Wag--
Seriously? I go through 12-15K of them every year shooting targets. Hunting loads? Absolutely for everything upland, bunnies, quail, chukar, pheasants, griouse, etc.

No lead ONLY applies to waterfowl...............

1 - 20 of 25 Posts