National Gun Forum banner
61 - 64 of 64 Posts

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
56,438 Posts
Damn! It sure is nice knowing many Sac PD officers and Sac County sheriffs. I've been stopped six times in 22 years (I was wrong all 6 times). One ticket and that was issued by a CHIP.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
Did a lot of MV enforcement and a rolling stop sign is what we call sandbagging. Blowing a stop sign is one thing, but a slight roll is pretty much something that everyone does. Not far fetched that the cop weighed the CCW into his decision. I personally was more inclined to give CCW holders a break, but then again i didn't always see eye to eye with many of my fellow officers who thought that only cops should have guns. City boys who became cops often seemed to struggle with the fact that a lot of good people who are not cops carry guns also. If you don't have to tell, than why bother? If an officer ever asked about if I'm carrying a weapon I'd be glad to inform him of the truth. If he don't ask, I'n not going to tell him.
I have a feeling that you got a ticket because you rolled a stop sign. Regardless if you're "miles from home" or hundreds of miles from home, rolling stop signs are a big enforcement deal with a lot of departments now and officers have little or no discretion and "must issue" a citation. Or, it could be that regardless of your CCW, he was a traffic whore and wouldn't give his momma a warning when he could write a citation. I doubt your CCW had anything at all to do with it. Some guys just flat write 'em when they can write 'em and cut zero breaks. I never could work like that. I operated on the "don't be a dick principle" which basically meant that I wasn't going to be a dick to you, but I wasn't going to allow you to be a dick to me.

·
Registered
113 Posts
^^Thanks, perhaps I need to rethink my choice. My dad (RIP) was a Korean war era MP and lifelong LEO... He taught me that being honest, respectful and transparent usually will produce better results than the playing stupid act or being short with an officer. I will continue to heed his advice.
Cops have a lot of discretion and in this case I paid up. Dam'ed thing is I like the sound of my well tuned exhaust and get on the gas sometimes, so I would have been less upset about a proper speeding ticket. A 98% stop is a waste of 3 points :)

·
Banned
91 Posts
Did a lot of MV enforcement and a rolling stop sign is what we call sandbagging. Blowing a stop sign is one thing, but a slight roll is pretty much something that everyone does. Not far fetched that the cop weighed the CCW into his decision. I personally was more inclined to give CCW holders a break, but then again i didn't always see eye to eye with many of my fellow officers who thought that only cops should have guns. City boys who became cops often seemed to struggle with the fact that a lot of good people who are not cops carry guns also. If you don't have to tell, than why bother? If an officer ever asked about if I'm carrying a weapon I'd be glad to inform him of the truth. If he don't ask, I'n not going to tell him.
It's huge here in AZ right now. It's a zero tolerance issue. The politicos have a huge bug up their asses about it. Being from AZ, I just assume there's a gun in every car. Never cared, but appreciated the heads up. For me, a CCW holder was "pre-vetted" and would generally get a break as long as everything else was good.

61 - 64 of 64 Posts