National Gun Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

I've been doing some searching today after finding out that if I'm under 21 I'm still considered some type of minor as far as getting a FOID card. It says my parents have to be eligible to buy firearms, does that mean that they themselves have to have FOID cards or do they just have to have the requirements for one? I live in Illinois, here's the link to the FOID card as I'm guessing it's different from state to state. http://www.isp.state.il.us/docs/6-181.pdf

Thanks

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Welcome to the forums gtp405...

Yeah, the gun laws here in Illinois suck...... Any person in the state of Illinois must have a valid FOID card to buy/own any firearm or ammunition. So to answer your question, yes your parents must have a FOID card to buy you a gun.... I do believe you can buy a long gun if you are 18, but no handgun purchases till your 21.

·
Banned
1,456 Posts
Back when I lived in Illinois my mother had to sign for me to get a FOID Card when I was 19, (1972), but after I got it I could purchase firearms and ammo for myself without her. However that did not include handguns or handgun ammunition. For that you had to be 21. The exception was .22 rimfire, but back then you had to sign for it. You could buy .22 rimfire if you were between the ages of 18 and 21, and possessed a valid FOID card. The law may have changed since then. If it has, I'm sure it's for the worse. In this regard Illinois is worse than California in regards to firearms ownership. They're just more clandestine. Bill T.

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Am I correct in assuming that a FOID card is really gun owner registration?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah that seems pretty rediculus. Not only that but it says my parents are responsible for all my gun actions, that means if I have an accident of some kind they could get sued, seems wrong to me.

My main intentions were to start out with something like a .22 and go to a farm way out in the middle of nowhere or something and do some practicing with cans, I'm a beginner and I am really feeling the need to learn how to safely operate a gun. Maybe I'll take some classes too.

Recently the town I live in (Rockford) has been getting more and more dangerous. People have been getting held up at grocery stores and everything. There was even one guy who robbed 13 gas stations in a 2 or 3 week period, one of which was a mobil that I happened to be right next to when it happened... scary stuff. I really wish I could get a CCW in Illinois, because I'd like to have one in the car at all times. Last summer I saw a guy whip out a gun at someone in front of me at an intersection... I sat there helpless, surrounded by traffic, anyone of us there could have been a victim that day.

When I'm older there's no way someone's going to come in my house and find me unarmed... my parents live like that and it kinda makes me nervous. It takes the police a phone call and 5 - 10 minutes to respond to an emergency, but only a split second for a criminal to shoot me. Forget that. Actually, now that I say that, I talked to a friend yesterday who's wife tried to call 911, and she called three times... no answer.

So that's my little story, thanks for the welcome! And thanks for the info too...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
sig232 said:
Am I correct in assuming that a FOID card is really gun owner registration?
Yeah, I need that card so I can buy guns and ammo. At least that's how I know it.

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
gtp405 said:
Yeah that seems pretty ridiculus. Not only that but it says my parents are responsible for all my gun actions, that means if I have an accident of some kind they could get sued, seems wrong to me.

My main intentions were to start out with something like a .22 and go to a farm way out in the middle of nowhere or something and do some practicing with cans, I'm a beginner and I am really feeling the need to learn how to safely operate a gun. Maybe I'll take some classes too.

Recently the town I live in (Rockford) has been getting more and more dangerous. People have been getting held up at grocery stores and everything. There was even one guy who robbed 13 gas stations in a 2 or 3 week period, one of which was a Mobil that I happened to be right next to when it happened... scary stuff. I really wish I could get a CCW in Illinois, because I'd like to have one in the car at all times. Last summer I saw a guy whip out a gun at someone in front of me at an intersection... I sat there helpless, surrounded by traffic, anyone of us there could have been a victim that day.

When I'm older there's no way someones going to come in my house and find me unarmed... my parents live like that and it kinda makes me nervous. It takes the police a phone call and 5 - 10 minutes to respond to an emergency, but only a split second for a criminal to shoot me. Forget that. Actually, now that I say that, I talked to a friend yesterday who's wife tried to call 911, and she called three times... no answer.

So that's my little story, thanks for the welcome! And thanks for the info too...

That is very strange since the Chicago area is pretty much a gun free zone so there should not be any crime, right?

Oh! I forgot, its because all the guns are coming in from other areas not because people are unarmed and cannot protect themselves against the 2-5% who prey on all the law-abiding citizens.

Right after I moved to Oregon from Los Angeles I was surprised to read about two attempted carjackings. Both were killed by the drivers who were carrying firearms. That was pretty much the end of carjacking in Oregon. It rarely happens up here and when it does they will pick a Mom with a child.

In LA carjackings happen all the time day and night, in a gas station during the day, etc. Criminals know that citizens are unable to protect themselves and that police are never around to stop crime only to investigate crime.

·
Banned
1,456 Posts
The whole thing with the FOID situation in Illinois, is it gives total power to local, state run government, as to if you can own any type of firearm! If there ever was a violation of Second Amendment rights, this insane law has got to be it. Richard J. Daly is mayor of Chicago, and is rabidly anti gun. He has more power than the Governor of Illinois. If you move to Illinois, and own firearms you purchased legally in another state, but do not have a current Illinois FOID, (Firearms Owner Identification Card), your guns can in fact be confiscated, and you arrested! I don't know if that's ever happened, but it's the law as written. Even with a valid, current FOID card, you cannot legally own a handgun in Morton Grove, Illinois, or Oak Park, Illinois. I think if the SCOTUS rules in favor of gun owners this Summer, many laws like this will be challenged and struck down. Let's hope. Bill T.

·
Banned
1,456 Posts
Back when I lived there someone sent in an application for a Illinois FOID card with John Dillinger's mug shot on it, and listed his address as the Biograph Theater in Chicago, (where he was killed in an adjacent alley by by FBI Agent, Melvin Purvis after walking out of a movie.) They issued the card, and it was all over the news. They couldn't deny it because they showed the card on camera! Another unconfirmed story was that someone sent in an application for one with a picture of his dog on it, and it was also issued. I'm assuming they've cleaned up their act since then, but with Government run agency's, you never know. Bill T.

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
I don't know how many states are into this FOID Card BS. But I believe New Jersey is another one that has adopted this game.

I too hope the Supreme Court has the courage to back up the Constitution and zap this social engineering experiment.

·
Registered
201 Posts
billt said:
The whole thing with the FOID situation in Illinois, is it gives total power to local, state run government, as to if you can own any type of firearm! If there ever was a violation of Second Amendment rights, this insane law has got to be it. Richard J. Daly is mayor of Chicago, and is rabidly anti gun. He has more power than the Governor of Illinois. If you move to Illinois, and own firearms you purchased legally in another state, but do not have a current Illinois FOID, (Firearms Owner Identification Card), your guns can in fact be confiscated, and you arrested! I don't know if that's ever happened, but it's the law as written. Even with a valid, current FOID card, you cannot legally own a handgun in Morton Grove, Illinois, or Oak Park, Illinois. I think if the SCOTUS rules in favor of gun owners this Summer, many laws like this will be challenged and struck down. Let's hope. Bill T.
Yeah, I moved to Illinois from another state with my trunk packed with guns. It was five years here before I found out that was illegal. (Mostly because I was running on reloads I had stocked up on before the move) The only reason I found out about the FOID, was when I tried to buy some more powder and primers and the guy asked me for my card. I was flabbergasted, to say the least, to find out I had been illegal for 5 years.

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
gandog56 said:
billt said:
Yeah, I moved to Illinois from another state with my trunk packed with guns. It was five years here before I found out that was illegal. (Mostly because I was running on reloads I had stocked up on before the move) The only reason I found out about the FOID, was when I tried to buy some more powder and primers and the guy asked me for my card. I was flabbergasted, to say the least, to find out I had been illegal for 5 years.

I think I would drive across the border into another state to buy my ammo and reloading supplies rather than submit to that tyranny.

I wonder how they prevent people from buying ammo and supplies via mailorder?

·
Banned
1,456 Posts
sig232 said:
If you check most shooter supply mail order houses like Natchez, and Midway, they have a clause at the bottom of the page saying they won't ship to states like Illinois and Mass. Bill T.

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
billt said:
sig232 said:
If you check most shooter supply mail order houses like Natchez, and Midway, they have a clause at the bottom of the page saying they won't ship to states like Illinois and Mass. Bill T.
Ah Ha! I suspected as much. I suppose there is some penalty if the residents cross the border into another state to buy ammo or supplies also. :(

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ok, so one bit of good news lol

straight off the illinois site:

I am under the age of 21, can I apply for a FOID card?

Yes. In addition to all other requirements, a person who is under 21 years of age must have the written consent of his or her parent or legal guardian to possess and acquire firearms and firearm ammunition. Also, he or she must not have been convicted of a misdemeanor other than a traffic offense or adjudged delinquent. The parent or legal guardian providing written consent must be eligible to possess a valid FOID card.
So it appears that one of my parents just has to be able to get a foid card, not have one, so that's a little better, it still scares me that they're responsible though. Especially since I'm going to be in an apartment at 20 years old when I transfer to a full on university.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I too am rather discouraged by Illinois politics. It practically is a gun registry, Big brother is getting a little to involved with this in Illinois. It almost seems they are afraid of us and are slowly making it more and more difficult to obtain firearms. Another thing that irks me, is that I sent in my application for my FOID 6 weeks ago... and the form said "please allow 4-6 weeks for delivery." With this whole Obama ordeal, I'm hoping I'll get it before the end of this year. I went to Rink's in Lockport and one of the workers there told me that it took 7 months for her friend's FOID to come in! :mad5:

·
Banned
1,101 Posts
Kind of tough for a 20 year old Illinois college student from Arizona to get his parent's written consent if he is an orphan, estranged from his parents, his parents are serving or otherwise working overseas in a remote location, his parents are institutionalized, his parents are missing or unknown, or his parents are imprisoned (which makes them and, therefore, him, ineligible).

Just a crazy rule.

Avoid the FOID!

·
Registered
521 Posts
i live in IL or shoud i say suffer in IL, and a good friend of mine when his dad passed away was left a old family shotgun that had been in his family for years. wile moving it to his house was pulled over for speeding the cop saw the case and asked to see his foid card he did not have one yet he had applied for it but had not recived it. the gun was taken and he was taken in he was told when the card came in he could go before a judge to petiton to get it back and then that was if it had not been sent out to be destroyed. he was lucky he got it back but when he did it had been dismantled down to the last part.

·
Chicago Pro-Gun Activist
2,444 Posts
Yes, gun confiscation is used regularly here in Illinois. The first thing that the state targets is your FOID. Upon arrest for a felony, they will rescind your FOID and you become illegal if you own firearms - then they get a court order and confiscate. The Peterson case is one very well known example. In this case though, the judge finally ruled that his son could take ownership because Peterson has not formally been charged. When the son went to pick them up, two had mysteriously been destroyed and two had gone missing. The state of Illinois does not stink just for its politics!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts