National Gun Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone. I am new to the forum and to guns. I was recently invited to go Boar hunting with a friend (and his friends) at a military base. However, I do not own any type of weapons nor any type of certifications. I am in the works of completing my hunters license then on to pick out a Rifle, this is where i need your help.

I know boars are extremely dangerous and can charge you so I want to purchase a decent rifle that does not break the bank (new or used) and has stopping power to take down a charging boar. My friend said for me to look into the .308 like he purchased but when i went to a gun store to look at them he said its a bit over kill and to get 5.56? I am really trying to stay in the range no more than $400 (New or used) with a scope. I know that price point in laughable but that is my budget as i might never need to use my Rifle. Basically the honda of Rifles..Durable, dependable and low maintenance. Any input would help as i have a little more than a month to get all my certificates, license's and gear.

Oh BTW, i live and will Hunt in CA so it has to be a legal rifle for my state.

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
55,361 Posts
A lever action rifle chambered in .30-30 WCF, .35 Rem or even .44 Mag. will be sufficient to suffice for California feral hog. A scope is unnecessary. I believe .223/5.56x45mm is a bit under powered for feral hog.

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
55,361 Posts
That will do. Lose the scope. It will only get in the way. Done right, most of your shots will be less than 100 yds.

·
Registered
6,392 Posts
That scope will just goof you up. To get a good scope that won't. You'll need to spend your entire budget on one.
Hog hunting doesn't need a scope either. They're relatively close. Spend your money on the gun.
On hog's being dangerous. You really should talk to bow hunters about that. Hog's don't have good eye sight. They'll come charging. They can't see you. You're just standing in the pathway is all. Those tusks are for digging roots to eat. Not for attacking. Javelina are a different story...
Don't go trying for a prize big hog. Go for a smaller one that would be good to eat. Know a guy who took a huge hog. Said he couldn't stand being in the house when trying to cook it. It was a waste.

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
there are a lot of good rifles that will do the job for under $400......biggest problem with the majority is that they do not come with iron sights on many of the affordable new production bolt actions.

a Marlin 30-30 lever would get my vote for a new production rifle.

two knock around, throw in the pickup, or strap to 4-wheeler work guns used poor boy style around here are the mosin M44 bolt action carbine and the SKS semi auto carbine. Neither will break the bank.....and the ammo is affordable.....and they have iron sights.....

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
A 5.56 which is very close to a .223, which you will see more in the lower priced guns, will work for a small to medium sized Boar with good shot placement. A .308 will take down about any Boar as well as Deer, smaller Bears and just about any medium to large game. The .308 will also be a good choice if you want to advance to long distance target shooting. Since you are new you will want to practice a lot therefore you want to consider ammo price. The .308 ammo is a lot more money than .223 ammo.

Another great rifle for Boar is a 30-30 lever action.

The larger portion of your Boar hunting will probably be done at a much closer range than hunting other game. Often times iron sights will work fine.

The things you want to consider is what will you be using the rifle for other than your Boar hunt? The .308 will be a much better multi purpose rifle. The 5.56/.223 will be much easier to control and had cheaper ammo. The 30-30 is a great rifle to learn on and, in my opinion, the iron sight lever action is just fun.

Keeping it under $400 I have a Savage Axis II .308 that I bought with a scope for $390 and I bought a Winchester 30-30 lever action about 6 years ago at Walmart for $300. They would probably still be under $400. If you do go with the Savage Axis make sure you get the Axis II not the original Axis. The Axis II has the adjustable accutrigger. The trigger on the original Axis has a very bad reputation. Savage makes a great entry level rifle that is priced very reasonable.

To throw one more option in, does your friend who invited you hunting have a spare rifle you can use? If so, you might want to consider starting with a .22LR. The ammo is much cheaper, they are very easy to control, great learner rifles, with good ammo will work shooting cans in the woods at distances over 100 yards and you can pick a decent one up for about $200. Then you can learn with the .22 and research other rifles more to decide what you want next. A Ruger 10/22 will cost $300 or more but is one of the very best .22 rifles there is and it will out live all of us if you take care of it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts