National Gun Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Mind you this is only my personal opinion so don't get your shorts in a uproar!

I think that anytime you head into a populated area your gun should be concealed. Its asking for big trouble to expose a gun to a large segment of the population. It creates a stir in any large city setting and is illegial in most large cities and states.

Police can draw on a laundry list of charges if they choose to do so to arrest you and embarass you. In the woods its a whole different story. But the city is not the place to test the laws and the restraint of the local police.

A concealed carry permit is just that, "Concealed Carry" not a license to strap on a big gun and scare all the women and children in the park! This behavior works against our cause in my opinion and temps fate in that as more people attempt to carry in the open the state will feel the pressure to restrict that behavior.

Only one mans opinion. I carry my gun in a way that nobody will see it and if I need it I will have the element of surprise in my favor!

· Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
I know in Portland if you ever made the mistake of open carry downtown you would be tossed in the klink quickly. Inciting a riot, brandishing and a host of other charges would be brought against you. You may win in court but it would cost you about everything you own to fight the battle.

Therein lies part of the problem. Cities know the cost of a legal defense, it costs them nothing to file the charges and take you through the legal wringer. Taxpayers foot the bill.

Even if you ever have to pull your carry gun to defend yourself you will most likely be put through the legal wringer. If you wound or kill a perp you may be brought up on murder charges, you will have to face a Grand Jury, will need a lawyer, it will not be a pretty sight.

So I contend to wear a gun in public is to draw the wrong kind of attention to ones self and ask for trouble.

Not so when in the woods. People understand the need to protect ones self when hunting or hiking in dangerous areas. But get caught carrying a gun in a national park and your butt is toast!
I have had friends that have been approached by park rangers in Washington state and asked point blank if they were carrying weapons!

I am not sure if I would admitt to carrying if confronted by a park ranger. I think I might just say, "No do you think I should have a gun, is it dangerous here!" Playing dumb might be the right way to handle the situation.

· Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
I am glad to hear that VA has an open carry law. Thats refreshing, for a state to trust its citizens.

Vermount or New Hampshire, I believe is one of the other states in the east that allows that type of carry.

Oregon is wild, lots of woods and not too many people, but the people we are acquiring from the CA area are Liberal minded and don't like guns or the second amendment. Big cities seem to breed this type of thinking so as our metropolitian areas grow I suppose our rights will be restricted.

· Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Interesting!

I see, its licensed open carry. Several states are listed I'll bet there are restrictions in the major cities for most of those states.

Other states list open carry without a license. But again...you have to watch it. open carry is allowed in the country and smaller towns, but enter a big city packing a gun and it may be a problem.

The licensed carry might be set up to make it easier to arm security people in uniform.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.